Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:15PM

Stay safe exmos (and everyone). I’m sure this is the fault of apostates. Maybe that’s why there are no ward houses used as evacuation centers.

Officials asking Shasta County residents to please evacuate before they’re ordered to.

Search&RescueGuy advises: This thing is enormous! Mile-high Fire tornados and all! Please don’t try to stay and squirt your roof with a garden hose—-Just GO!!!

If you have livestock that you can’t move—-their chances are better if you turn ‘em lose.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:24PM

Prayers and thoughts for those affected.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 05:10PM

matt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Prayers and thoughts for those affected.

Very much so.

:(

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 04:38PM

Whoa...Kathleen is right, just get out

Posted by: Anon3 ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 07:04PM

MY nephew got called out yesterday. Every available fireman in the state of california has been called out. More are being shipped in from states that are not on fire.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 07:20PM

Scary. Stay safe, everyone. Be proactive.

My heart breaks for the animals impacted too.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 07:25PM

Be safe Kathleen.

Keep us posted.

Date: July 28, 2018 09:08PM

Thanks, Amyjo.

I am also concerned for counties to the south where there’s only one natural barrier. And that’s dry weeds.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 09:26PM

These fires are horrific and I hope everyone involved at this point survives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2018 09:30AM by Cheryl.

Date: July 28, 2018 10:21PM

Oh, Cheryl, I hope your daughter is very vigilant. Fire appears to be moving northwestward last I heard—-but still unpredictable.

Two small children (ages 4, 5) and their ggmother died in their home. A fireman and bulldozer operator have died.

Lots of looting now.

Date: July 29, 2018 01:38AM

Last I read, Carr Fire is out of control in ALL directions. Many insurance policies will cover your daughter’s expenses if she is ordered to vacate and leaves. I sure hope she does. Police n fire dept officials said don’t wait to be evacuated—-just go! So, i would think that would cover it, but I’m not certain.

Insurance notwithstanding, safety is everything.

Your friend who is a firefighter probably has the most up-to-date info at this time.

Anyway, good luck to your girl !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2018 01:42AM by kathleen.

Date: July 29, 2018 05:21AM

Hope everyone will be safe from this time on.

I can't contact the firefighter or his parents because their phones are not working. Good thoughts to all.

Date: July 28, 2018 10:29PM

As of 5 pm Pacific time, 37,000 ppl have been evacuated.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 28, 2018 11:11PM

I'm about 500 miles South of the Carr fire area.. but there are other fires around CA.
Our skies were so overcast, I thought there might be smoke in the air. Don't think so.
I drove down highway 1 yesterday, right by the burned hillside which somehow stopped at the freeway.
The drought and extremely dry brush go up in flames very easily. Has to be a spark, somewhere, but what is causing these fires?

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 03:34PM

There are hillsides of 50% dead trees in some portions of the central southern Sierra. Caused by bark beetles tree kill due to tree stress due to past drought.

Some rainfall raised forest shrubs grass and sage. Then low rain fall high temperatures low humidity levels...

In some areas a evening breeze generated by air mass rising heat meets ? Some other air mass at x altitude makes lovely light winds.

I have not participated in nor made a campfire anywhere even a campfire even utilizing state and national park or forest service provided campsite rock fire circles for YEARS. One ember in the wind is unthinkable. Absolute refusal to make even a campfire in this. I have some video and photos of balch park area <2 years ago> eery early summer two thousand altitude expanse of red soil roadsides on a tight curved road surrounded by hillsides of red needles *dead and dying trees. Camping trip canceled; by the time we got above the zone of dead timber spouse said this is a dangerous place to camp <even surrounded by green timber above the zone of dying trees hills/ because there us no road out except down through dead trees for miles. There would be no way out.>

Very bad for fire.

Posted by: gnpe1 ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 01:33AM

2 main causes of forest fires:

Lightening

people (campfires, fireworks, misc. & arson.

also, train brakes throw hot sparks when going down hills, but most RRs have workers follow trains downhill during summer/dry conditions.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 02:11PM

The largest fire in California history, the Thomas Fire, started a mile from our place, but this one seems much more "violent". Idyllwild area is getting hammered, too.

I would hate to see a map of how much the state of CA has burned in the last 5 years.

It sucks, plain and simple.

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 03:37PM

You are so right.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 29, 2018 03:56PM

I'm EXTREMELY SAD this is happening, hurting to many!

but, What is Brimstone???

Date: July 29, 2018 05:55PM

I hope his family is safe and he is surviving.

My daughter tells me she lives far enough away to be safe.

We had a wild brush fire a mile from our house a few weeks ago, much smaller than this one, but still concerning. The families were evacuated and the firefighters saved all of their houses. The hills are black which is okay. Thankfully, these smaller fires can be handled well if they're caught immediately.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 09:46AM

Years of drought. Then a decent rain amount last year, and everything sprouted. Now back to drought this year, with above-average temps and low humidity to boot.

I suspect this is going to be one of our worse fire years ever. I've been busy clearing defensible space around my rural home. When the Santa Anas hit in September/October, there will be fires, no question.

Stay safe everyone.

Posted by: namarod ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 01:42PM

I grew up in Redding, CA. I spent a lot of my childhood in the woods, fishing and hunting. It breaks my heart to see so much of this beautiful area destroyed by wildfires. Sending positive vibes. ):

Posted by: Firestoned ( )
Date: July 30, 2018 10:45PM

One news broadcast stated that it was believed the original fire was started by arson.

Then I read that because CA is deeply in debt and gov. sanctions have been instituted for sanctuary cities, that the best way to get massive additional gov. funding is to have a State of Emergency.

Things that make you go .... “Hmmm”.

Date: July 30, 2018 11:25PM

Firestoned Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then I read that because CA is deeply in debt and
> gov. sanctions have been instituted for sanctuary
> cities, that the best way to get massive
> additional gov. funding is to have a State of
> Emergency.

The California state debt is U.S. $1.3 trillion, but as a state (if judged by national terms) we have the world's sixth-largest economy.

I am not an economist, and I don't understand much of the economics news, but I do know that we Californians have a deeply-experienced adult, who has been proven wise by decades of his own experience in state government (he is also the son of a former California governor) who lives in the Governor's residence...the state debt appears to be within acceptable "healthy economics" parameters... and any federal restrictions because of our sanctuary cities are evidently not an impediment to anything notable or important.

There is very little chance of there being a "Hmmm" here: We are a state which has always been vulnerable to wildfires for all kinds of geological and climate zone reasons...we are coming off of a fairly-recent extended drought...and global climate change is hitting much of our state fairly hard. (We are, of course, one of the world's most important agricultural producers.)

Unfortunately, being one of the best places in the world to live comes with more real-life experience with wildfires than seems fair to our residents (both human and non-human), and to our terrain.

[Referring to the quote: >Things that make you go .... “Hmmm”.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2018 11:27PM by Tevai.

Date: July 31, 2018 08:15AM

He's very good at politics but he learned little or nothing from his father about the California economy. My CPA MBA husband who knows more about economics than most economists has sat across from him face to face in meetings and saw this first hand.

Posted by: Vladder ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 12:54AM

Seconded. Jerry Brown is a nitwit. One needs look no further than the CA HSR fiasco to see that.

Date: August 01, 2018 10:54AM

He lives with his New Age spiritual guru, a dwarf who advises his every word and move. My husband worked at the Port of Oakland when Brown was mayor of the City. Once a month, Brown attended a joint meeting with port executives to confer on common interests.

The little dwarf person would climb in and out of his chair and wander around the room. If things weren't going the way he wanted, he'd sit in a yoga position on the floor and chant.

The first time this happened DH thought he might be having a seizure or psychological break with reality. He whispered to someone asking if they should call for medical assistance. But no, this behavior was typical.

We had dinner recently with an Oakland chief of one of the Oakland fire stations and he said this is common knowledge in that department. They had no respect for Brown or his religious advisor. Anyone who can't attend a meeting without such support should not be in a major position of power.

Brown and his advisor wanted the Port to give the city money which is illegal.

They also wanted to take funds from the fire department which would endanger firefighters and citizens alike.

In some cases they pulled this off in very sneaky ways which would take a major investigation to untangle the complicated illegalities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 10:57AM by Cheryl.

Date: July 31, 2018 01:06AM

Thank you for these links, [|]!!

Date: July 31, 2018 05:38AM

I can understand the worry over wild fires among posters.

But sanctuary cities has nothing to do with that or with religion or mormonism!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 03:20PM

Yes, let's keep everything out that has nothing to do "with religion or mormonism."

Permissible are objective observations like Jerry Brown is "very good at politics but he learned little or nothing from his father about the California economy. My CPA MBA husband who knows more about economics than most economists has sat across from him face to face in meetings and saw this first hand."

Permissible too is denigration of people for their physical characteristics, things like "The little dwarf person would climb in and out of his chair and wander around the room."

Such observations are directly related to Mormonism. But sanctuary cities? THOSE are irrelevant to Mormonism and should be deleted.

Above all, no double standards!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 03:21PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: July 31, 2018 06:07AM

The cause of the fire being “mechanical failure of a vehicle” is believed to be a tire blowout on a travel trailer, which caused the rim to spark into the dry grass.

Date: July 31, 2018 06:53AM

Corollary #1 to this disaster is there ain’t gonna be no mormon stake center used as an evac center for no stinkin damned smoker even if that smoke be comin offa their hair!

Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 01:29AM

My thoughts and all my prayers for safety Kathleen. PLEASE all stay safe!

Posted by: logan ( )
Date: August 01, 2018 03:05PM

keep blaming Global climate change and keep building homes in the middle of forests with no prescribed burning, no brush removal, and see if that stops the fires. And yes your Governor is a moron.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.