Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:38PM

Yes!

Choices are:

Ugly and uncomfortable

Very ugly and uncomfortable

Very ugly and very uncomfortable

Ugly and very uncomfortable

See? Freedom to choose!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:44PM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:47PM

As a former LDS woman I had zero desire to wear ugly garments. It was possibly one of the strongest incentives for me to avoid seeking a temple recommend.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:38PM

I think I see a lot of LDS women exercising personal preference when it comes to wearing garments.

Many of the LDS women in my area choose to wear workout clothes all day whether they are exercising or not so they don't have to wear garments. They wear tank tops and short shorts and look like they've just come from the gym even when they haven't.

I understand that garments are uncomfortable and hot and seriously limit styles that you can wear, which is why I don't wear them anymore. My problem is that many of the same women who try to fool their LDS neighbors into thinking they just got off a treadmill also defend Mormonism and tell my children that I'm not making good choices because I don't go to church. The hypocrisy irritates me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2018 12:13AM by want2bx.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 11:07PM

Nudists say that sleeping nude (w partner or alone) is healthy/beneficial.

I'm sure that sleeping nude w partner encourages intimacy & therefore Bonding.

who wants to enjoy sex with garments on?

I don't see any raised hands...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 11:22PM

In the old one piece days you just adjusted the flaps for easy access. No need to disrobe. I understand some women even gave birth that way. Gads am I that old?

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 11:35PM

some of my mish comps from Heritage families heard stories of how family members were taught to bathe half Off then reverse.

IDK if that applied mostly to females or not(Free the nipples, ha ha!)

if the older now dead GAs knew about the way our present teachings are, I'm sure heart attacks would result...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 11:40PM

I heard the ward Relief Society would sometimes give a woman her first set of garments. Anybody know of that happening? It would provide strong reinforcement via female approval and bonding, and power of example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 11:40PM by caffiend.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 11:41PM

My daughter went through about 1-1/2 years ago and I've seen the tops and they look more like a cap sleeved T-shirt and not obscene. The one-piece were obscene.

When I was wearing them, you could get ones that went below your knee, which I wore with pants so I didn't have a garment line. They are hotter than hell no matter what fabric you get, and for someone who hates sweating, they were horrible. I'll be forever grateful that I no longer have to wear them. I went on my honeymoon to Hawaii during a drought. I sat in the shade most of the trip. I'm more the Alaska type person anyway.

It's been 13 years since I quit wearing them. Oh, did I say they don't last long. They get runs in them and the elastic on the bottoms wears out really fast, so your nylons or your jeans are holding them up. And I didn't deliver babies in my garments. In fact, they must have known I was going to be going through the temple as they came out with 2 piece garments within weeks before I got married.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 11:43PM by cl2.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 06:11AM

No. It's against the rules to alter the garments in any way. I think there's a choice of fabric, but not of style, which are all the same these days. I don't think they make maternity garments or nursing garments or garments for summertime.

LDS women hardly ever get to "exercise personal preference" in the cult.

I gotta admit to some female bonding with the garments. It was back in the day when the garments were all one-piece, and impossible to wear, for all the obvious reasons. When I got engaged, my mother took me into her bedroom and showed me her garments--embarrassing and awkward--until she showed me her lace. She did a lot of sewing, and found some nice lace, at a special bargain price.

OK, some of you younger people won't believe this, but they used to make "flare leg" one-piece garments. The one other choice was the "open crotch" which was flaps that never closed like they were supposed to, and got in the way of everything, and usually ended up goosing the wearer. If TBM women like my friend's mother would cross their legs in a short skirt, these garments offered an unobstructed view of everything up there. The flare leg didn't cover anything either, but the bad thing about those is that you had to pee out one leg! That's right. Unless you wanted to take off all your clothes and the garment completely, going through the garment leg was the only way. Mormon women in my mother's day didn't wear pants, except for camping and hiking.

Anyway, my mother invented a way of undoing the center seam between the legs, and making the garment into a slip. Then she would put her special lace on the bottom. I was shocked, and told my RS president, GA Mormon Royalty mother that altering the garment was against the rules, and she said that it didn't make any difference, if nobody knew about it.

Many years later, I was in Provo, for my TBM aunt's funeral, and my ex-Mormon girl cousins and I were talking about our two mothers, and how liberal they were, compared to most Mormon women. I told my cousins about my mother's lacy garments. They burst out laughing! They said, "We've got to show you this." They took me into my aunts bedroom, and in her drawer were those flare leg garments with the identical lace on them. My mother had secretly sewn those for my aunt. I don't know why we thought it was so hilarious.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 02:02PM

At least when I was pregnant they did. I had twins, so there was no way regular garments would fit. I remember the flare leg. Never had to wear them. My mother didn't hide the garments. She hung them out on the line. It was pretty typical in Brigham City back when I was a child.

I do believe there are a few styles of tops now as my daughter has talked about them, so when the subject comes up, I'll have to ask her.

I think this generation now is a bit more rebellious about garments than my generation. My daughter has told me that all her friends hate them and don't wear them whenever possible. I actually felt more like "finally" as I didn't get married until age 27 and I sure got a lot of shit from all my friends and family about my age. It wasn't like I was a wall flower either. It was more like I had finally arrived. I hated how I sweated in them, BUT I was afraid to stop wearing them, which is what brought me to this board. My therapist told me to come here to read about quitting wearing garments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2018 02:03PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.