Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 06:22PM

I think Mormonism is no different in pushing its meme survival and growth through reproduction. Like Creationism is illogical Pro-creationism is creating more Creationist through unsustainable reproduction. I'm a product of the "multiple and replenish" and "joy in your [much] posterity" thinking I think Mormonism espouses.

"Having Hundreds of Children

In Mark 10:29-30, Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life.” Here Jesus shifts the absolute from having children biologically to having hundreds of children through the family of Christ and through spiritual influence. It might include adoption. It might include foster care. It might include making your home a place for backyard Bible clubs. It might include hospitality in a neighborhood where your home is every kid’s favorite place. It might include your nursery job or your care for your nieces and nephews or the Sunday School class you teach. The point is: Marriage is not absolutely for making children; but it is absolutely for making children followers of Jesus one way or the other, directly or indirectly."
https://www.desiringgod.org/messages/marriage-is-meant-for-making-children-disciples-of-jesus-part-1

I think if a religion appealed to adult humans more than trying to get new adults while they are young and popping as many out as you can then it would be less of a bad religion.

I never understood how Mormonism couldn't stand on its revelatory powers themselves and had to create a system of child indoctrination once I started reading Mormon History. It started as an adults only thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:55AM

I guess this would be the Mormon equivalent to the above Christian's article.

"The importance of parenthood was reaffirmed in a recent talk by Ezra Taft Benson, the President of the LDS Church (1987). Husbands and wives are given the role of “co-creators” who “should eagerly and prayerfully invite children into their homes” (p. 3). They are instructed not to postpone childbearing or curtail family size for “personal or selfish reasons” (p. 5). Material goods or convenience cannot compare with “a righteous posterity” (p. 4). The greatest joys and blessings in life are derived from family roles."
https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/religion-and-family-connection-social-science-perspectives/chapter-6-four-c-s-mormon-family

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.