Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:49PM

I can't figure out this quote I've read. What does this mean ---- "even The Church of Jesus Christ." Even what? I don't get the even.

"The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," Russell M. Nelson, the church's president, said in a statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/17/us/mormon-church-name-trnd/index.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tig ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:57PM

Even though they've changed it, no one fucking cares.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:58PM

tig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even though they've changed it, no one fucking
> cares.

^^^^This

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:07PM

exactly! as quoted by a visitor to temple square yesterday, "the people in Utah might care, but the rest of us don't give a sh*t!"

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 04:13PM

You would think if it were SOOO important that god would get his panties all in a bunch over it, that it would have been named as such from the get go. hmmmmmmmmmmm……

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 04:26PM

Well.....God is an uptight bastard. You've read the Old Testament right?

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 04:32PM

I see Russ Nelson is working hard to keep the members focused on the important things, like paying tithing to end poverty and the official name of the cult.

Clearly god wouldn't be worried about all the refugees, violence, war, poverty, hunger. You know, silly worldly things like that.

The main thing god wants his prophet to share with the world is to please please please call my church by the correct name!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:07PM

...LDS Inc. is going thru their unique RLDS moment. They are weighing the value of clinging to the moniker "Mormon" and everything that it infers, vs. making some sort of universal appeal affirmation. And that is;

"Look, shareholders are fleeing and stocks are tanking. What if we decided to throw a larger net?... cast way, WAY out there? Can we get the trans, gay, and God knows what else, to commit to Baptism? If we can't, then there will be a shitstorm of major proportions. Nelson has already said if we can't get the numbers right on this, we will lose billions. AG Reserves is hurting; DOWN big time!! Hawaii Reserves SUCK!! We are either going to get this right, or we will go down....HARD!! What's it gonna' be jackasses?? Name change??...OK let's try that!!!....Shit!!

Date: August 17, 2018 06:10PM

Concerned Citizen 2.0 Wrote:
> ...LDS Inc. is going thru their unique RLDS
> moment. They are weighing the value of clinging
> to the moniker "Mormon" and everything that it
> infers, vs. making some sort of universal appeal
> affirmation.
>

Oh, they have been down this road before. About 30 years ago

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:56PM

...right, but with every new generation (marketing demographic), churches are likely to do this. Nothing new, but it will still seem odd or out of context to the older members who still remember the Journal of Discourses...and the "truth" that revealed.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:13PM

I don't even think it was 30 years ago that the Hinkster and his henchmen said that the faithful were not to use Mormon any longer. And they asked to be referred to by the full church name.

Nothing new here. Just another attempt to rebrand and distance themselves from the whackos out there.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:45PM

I have a BIL that uses the "even" word that way all the time and always slides into the testimony voice as he does it. Fingernails on a chalkboard. Once he used that word in combination with "tender mercies." Can't recall a time when I wanted so badly to perform even a tracheotomy. Of course I didn't.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:56PM

When I read this, I imagined someone saying (in a testimony voice) “I was prompted by the spirit to perform a surgical procedure, even a tracheotomy, on his throat.”

Posted by: logged in, not ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:16PM

"Dear [BIL], I am inspired to name you a buffoon, yea, an obnoxious buffoon, even a jackass."

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:58PM

What are they going to do about the dozens of web pages with Mormon, LDS and Mormonism in their link?
They are not going anywhere.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:36PM

One of the articles I read noted that the press release came from the church's PR website, mormonnewsroom.org. They don't have a clue.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 08:49AM

I did not catch the irony of it coming from mormonnewsroom. That is funny.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:04PM

Didn't they already try this 30 years ago when they rebranded the (small print) Book of Mormon with (large print) Another Testament of Jesus Christ?

Date: August 17, 2018 06:09PM

messygoop Wrote:
> Didn't they already try this 30 years ago when
> they rebranded the (small print) Book of Mormon
> with (large print) Another Testament of Jesus
> Christ?

Yes, I remember it. Late 80's? 90's?
Don't remember how long it lasted

Posted by: Cyna ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:26PM

"they strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel"

The Christ in the New Testament would slap him, like he did the people selling things in the temple

Oh well. Guess a stupid name is more important to him than about a million other things that actually matter.

This is the so-called compassionate heart surgeon. Pathetic.

Watch this about a homeless man describing life in Los Angeles and then tell me this rich LDS president gives a damn about anyone like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_c5ff0EEcA&t=394s

If he were anything "Christ-like" he would be spending all his time helping people like this, not sitting around thinking of meaningless proclamations like this and how he can mimic 1800's style D&C "revelation-style" and hoping it will make people take him seriously.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:51PM

Just once, I wish someone would use the word, "Odd", even.."Oddly" :-D

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:55AM

~Chuckle~

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:54PM

It would have more impact if he said, “The fucking Church.” Everyone could agree with that, and it has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 07:47AM

I like that, pretty hardcore.

But, to be fair, I think "The Family international" or the "Raelians" have a better claim on that title.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 07:18PM

Maybe he needs a revelation that the name should be changed to the Restored Church of Christ.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:31AM

Justin, we're onto Nelson! I think this is where he is headed in this! "The Restored Church of Christ."

As I said in another thread, corporate headquarters would not accept, "The Only True Church", because the Madison Avenue marketers felt that would be off-putting.

Wanna bet money on this new revelation?

Justin received it first!

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:36AM

A wise and venerated woman is among the posters here tonight--even Mother Who knows. I entreat you to show her due respect by using her full name, Veronica Bonita Gloria Alvarez Johanssen-Jones.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:08PM

...Jingle Hymer Smith???

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:37PM

LOLLL!!!
!-D

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 08:20PM

The most important message that God has for his more than seven
billion children on earth is what to call the name of a small
religious sect headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:23PM

Yep. Another uninspired leader. Their world runs from the west coast to the Missouri River, so world affairs are trivial.

Date: August 18, 2018 11:58AM

Yes. This is an example of God's priorities to prophets.

It's almost as if the prophets are getting business advice and aren't receiving revelation at all. [smirk]

Stay tuned for God's new logo.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 09:20PM

Mormons get spiritual wood over this word. Just say it, and they quiver with euphoric morgasms.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:58PM

He has discovered the special words: “The Lord has impressed upon my mind”. In my TBM days, I’d have to change my shorts.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 10:11PM

I am curious about them saying ‘even’ in this way. Why? Is it to add special significance?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:39PM

midwestanon Wrote:
> I am curious about them saying ‘even’ in this
> way. Why? Is it to add special significance?

Yes. But they use it so often, it doesn't.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:04AM

The way GAs insert a meaningless "even" into sentences in order to sound more high-falootin' and holy ("..the Savior, even Jesus Christ... " etc.) demonstrates what a closed culture of self-referential pompous @sshats they are.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:35AM

Posted by: Good Poster Martha ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:44AM

A wise and honored woman is among the posters here tonight--even Good Poster Martha. God commands you to use her full name, Veronica Bonita The Beautiful Alvarez Johanssen-Jones. If you are good, God will allow you to shorten her name to Bonita The Beautiful, or if you are very good, "The Beautiful."

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 07:59AM

Remember when the inspiration came that we were to use the full name of the Doctrine and Covenants? The reasoning behind it was D&C sounded like a surgical procedure and confuses non- members. People did it for awhile, but went back to saying D&C.

I just don't understand why Nelson frames saying the full name of the church as revelation when he knows they tried to have people say the full name of the church some years ago. It is too long.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:01AM

I guess I need to make a short trip down highway 60 here in TN and take a picture and send it to Russell. There is a large sign in front of an old wooden church that states: "The True Church of God". There is plenty of religious competition here in the Bible Belt. That sign helps to differentiate it from others in the area.

Date: August 18, 2018 12:04PM

LOL! Funny!
Good thing people will know which one is the true one there. That is, if they can read.

Uh oh. Mormons might need to have a subtitle in their name:
The More True Than the Other True Churches of Jesus Christ

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:11PM

The Truerist Church of Jesus H. Christ.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:48AM

It's a linguistic quirk that I've only seen in Mormonism. I don't understand it myself.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:04AM

When you are out of ideas but the pressure is on to come up with something.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:03PM

Doc Nelson needs to prescribe for himself EVEN a very big dose of Joseph's imagination, EVEN a very, very big dose, because the revelations he has so far come up with are definitely EVEN wimpy and woosie and weary.

Can't have the ONE TRUE CHURCH that is the leader in spreading lies now even adding being a leader in wimpy on revelations too.....I mean, revelations, after all, are the main-stay, the rock, the go-to for this so-called-true-church.

So, Nellie, maybe you and your side-kick Windy Wendy need to stop taking world tours and start spending more time and energy on your knees begging God to help more, even help a lot more.

What do you think?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:24PM

"Snagglepuss has three signature catchphrases. His most famous is his perpetual exclamation, "Heavens to Murgatroyd!" – a line first uttered by Bert Lahr in the film Meet the People (1944).[1] Before dashing off (whether to escape or for some other reason), he exclaims "Exit, stage left!" (or stage right, and sometimes even up or down), a phrase used in theatrical stage directions. Finally, Snagglepuss tends to add the word "even" to the end of his statements. This is done in a number of different ways:

After emphasizing a previous statement ("Somebody hurt! In dire pain, even!").

After stating a synonymous phrase ("On account of I must be a little rusty. Stale, even").

In a grammatically correct way, though out of order in the sentence ("I wonder if he knows my telephone number, even").

Simply added as an exclamation ("Heavens to Murgatroyd! A veritabububble frankenmouse monster, even!")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qFxTTi8q0

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:50PM

this is Obviously a Delivery Vehicle for emotional manipulation, it is devoid of any other significance or substance.

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 12:29AM

It's NOT even A CHURCH

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.