Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 09:30PM

According to a psychological study at University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill.

"“Together, these results help paint a picture of an American God who may not resemble scriptural or historical depictions,” the researchers wrote. “The face of the modern American God appeared kinder and more approachable than the God of the Sistine Chapel, perhaps reflecting different cultural concerns of the 16th century versus today.”

It’s still, however, a white face.

“People tend to believe in a God that looks like them,” Professor Kurt Gray, the study’s senior author, told NBC News. “And most of the people who took part were male and white."

What surprised the researchers, however, was that most of the women thought the Almighty was male, and “even many black Americans saw God as white … and with twinkling eyes, “ said Gray.

“I think it’s because for millennia Christians have been led to think of God as male and white,” Gray said. “It’s changing a little now, but the church hierarchies are still mostly male and mostly white. In the Catholic Church, for example, the Pope is male and the priests are still only male.”

The participants were demographically diverse — 153 from the South, 143 from the Midwest, 124 from the Northeast, and 91 from the West, according to the study.

Politics also played a role in people’s perceptions of God, the researchers found.

Conservatives were more likely to see God as white and powerful. Liberals saw God as younger and loving."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/face-god-eye-beholder-researchers-say-n882491

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:07PM

Date: June 12, 2018 10:18PM

A picture's worth ten thousand words. Zeus could come right out of Xanadu. This one's Jesus with Colonel Sanders having coffee. (Not chicken?!)

https://imgur.com/gallery/gjxPcT2

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: June 12, 2018 10:22PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 07:53AM

Gods are created in the image of the culture that believes in them.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 07:24PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gods are created in the image of the culture that
> believes in them.

Thank you !!!!!!!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 08:06AM

Posted by: jthomas ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 08:48AM

Wasn't he Jewish and a man? Thats pretty self explanatory. What color are most of those in Israel?

Date: August 21, 2018 08:00AM

jthomas Wrote:
> Wasn't he Jewish and a man? Thats pretty self
> explanatory. What color are most of those in
> Israel?

Jesus is the son of God, no? Incarnate in flesh, okay yeah.

I picture him as a Jewish guy. No problemo. With a white tint to his skin. A very wise man, no doubt. To me, he is my advocate with the Father. More like a big brother than deity. That's how I see Jesus.

As for what color are most of those in Israel? They are the same as people elsewhere. Some Arabic. Some European; East European; Russian Jews. Ethiopian. It's a mixture.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 09:14AM

This advocate for you with the father, does he have a true church, and rules you have to follow?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 10:04AM

Why would an omniscient, omnipotent god-thing need advocates and intermediaries?

Date: August 21, 2018 11:42PM

To wear the costumes/uniforms He designed!

Date: August 22, 2018 07:27PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Why would an omniscient, omnipotent god-thing need
> advocates and intermediaries?

Exactly Hie !!!!!!!!!

next.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 23, 2018 05:46PM

I thought OP said she was Jew? now she's changed to a christain. Well it's all good :)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 01:16AM

AJ has said she's Jewish. That doesn't preclude her from speaking of Christianity. :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 01:35AM

anono this week Wrote:
> I thought OP said she was Jew? now she's changed
> to a christain. Well it's all good :)

Jewish law states that a Jew is someone who:

1) Has been born to a Jewish MOTHER. (Fathers, intentionally, do not count so far as whether someone is, according to Jewish law, legally a Jew or not--for reasons which made a great deal of sense in historical times.) If someone is born to a Jewish mother, they are a "Jew by birth."

--OR--

2) Is a convert to Judaism, meaning: someone who has converted to Judaism according to the requirements of Jewish law. If someone converts to Judaism by fulfilling those Jewishly legal requirements, they are a "Jew by choice." [I am a Jew by choice--I did fulfill the requirements of Jewish law and I am a legal Jew.]

Amyjo was born of a Jewish mother, therefore she is (according to Jewish law) a Jew.

Her personal beliefs are her own business (as is true of any other Jew as well).

There is a wide spectrum of Jewish belief and non-belief (there are many secular/atheistic Jews worldwide, and this has pretty much always been the case, absolutely going back to the philosopher Spinoza, and probably many centuries before Spinoza lived).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2018 01:38AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 10:04AM

Santa is also white. Just ask fox news.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 01:18AM

I first read "Satan is white" I was going to ask for references!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 01:22AM

Would you accept the temple ceremony?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 13, 2018 11:48AM

It has been too long since I've seen the Mormon temple movie so I don't remember what God looks like. Was it George Burns? Morgan Freeman? Gordon Jump? Dan Peterson?

Date: June 13, 2018 12:08PM

No one has ever looked upon the face of God. The only one to my knowledge who even dared to make such a claim was Joseph Smith.

It's all conjecture, since other than it says in Genesis that people were created in the image of gods, we really don't have a whole lot to go on.

As for Jesus, yes he was a Jewish guy. Not goyim. He was most assuredly not white or delightsome. But rough shod and downtrodden, by NT accounts.

Date: June 13, 2018 01:07PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> No one has ever looked upon the face of God.

Yeah, it's almost like he doesn't exist or something, huh?

:)

Date: June 13, 2018 02:03PM

Not if you believe in him.

I've had prayers answered. And it wasn't woo woo magic.

For me faith is believing without seeing.

Date: August 20, 2018 06:59PM

What if you have complete and utter faith, like yours, but you believe in woo woo magic? What do you say to that person?

Date: August 20, 2018 08:04PM

...and as to that "nobody has looked upon the face of god" thing, and "The only one to my knowledge who even dared to make such a claim was Joseph Smith..."

Exodus 33:11: Thus the LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, just as a man speaks to his friend...

Deut. 34:10: Since that time no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face...

Gen. 32:30: So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, "I have seen God face to face...

Oops. :)

Date: August 20, 2018 08:14PM

Hey, we've had this discussion... Just because your facts are wrong doesn't mean that you're lying. It might could maybe kinda mean a number of things, but that you're a liar isn't a certainty.

Date: August 22, 2018 07:28PM

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaha.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 20, 2018 06:38PM

From science and computers, a new face of Jesus
By Jeordan Legon
CNN
Thursday, December 26, 2002 Posted: 9:45 AM EST (1445 GMT)
This image of what Jesus may have looked like is on the cover of Popular Mechanics this month.
This image of what Jesus may have looked like is on the cover of Popular Mechanics this month.

(CNN) -- The Jesus pictured on the cover of this month's Popular Mechanics has a broad peasant's face, dark olive skin, short curly hair and a prominent nose. He would have stood 5-foot-1-inch tall and weighed 110 pounds, if the magazine is to be believed.

This representation is quite different from the typical lithe, long-haired, light-skinned and delicate-featured depiction of the man Christians consider the son of God.

Israeli and British forensic anthropologists and computer programmers got together to create the face featured in the 1.2-million circulation magazine, which occasionally veers from its usual coverage of motors and tools to cover the merger of science and religion.

"What did Jesus look like?" the article asks. "An answer has emerged from an exciting new field of science: forensic anthropology."

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/12/25/face.jesus/index.html

Date: August 20, 2018 06:57PM

Cheech Marin, a young Cheech Marin!!

Date: August 20, 2018 07:15PM

George Burns. My favorite God character.

Everything old is new again.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 20, 2018 07:26PM

This is a really interesting general question, because it leads to some interesting intellectual roads.

I'm wondering what raised-Hopis visualize as "God" (including those who have some Christian/Catholic beliefs). I would guess that traditional Hopi concepts would dominate in general, but there would be a quick mental flip to Christian/Catholic concepts if that was called for by whatever were the demands of their immediate, that moment, daily life situation.

I tend to think of the concept of God as (amorphously) "What IS" or "ALL That IS"--but in concrete terms, to me God is still the little boy with the elephant's head who constantly runs around the planet, bringing good outcomes, and good in general, to everyone. (I was raised Hindu/Vedanta, and Ganesha has always been metaphorically "real" to me, from about age three on. I know he does not exist as three-dimensional reality, but the underlying reality of "who" he is DOES exist, and always has.)

And writing this, I just realized, for the first time, that one of the really important attractions of Judaism (to me personally) is because the Jewish concept of the overriding obligation of tikkun olam ("repairing the world").

Another way of saying this is: The Hindu concept of the god "Ganesha" is the Jewish concept of tikkun olam, only in Judaism, we (who are Jewish) ALL, in effect, become the Hindu concept of Ganesha (as we live our individual lives to the highest and best of our potentials!).

The two different concepts are, in their fundamentals, the SAME!

And I never realized this, not in any way, before I began to write this post.

Thank you for this insight, Amyjo!

Thank you! :)

Date: August 20, 2018 07:36PM

A very astute insight at that.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Date: August 20, 2018 08:02PM

Date: August 20, 2018 08:23PM

I liked the young Paul Newman in just about anything, lol.

He got better with time; his talent grew. Was one of the most stable sorts in Hollywood, wasn't he? Except he had a lead foot on the gas pedal. For all his staid ways, getting speeding tickets were one of his vices.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 03:59PM

Hate to be Mr. Buzzkill, but that was a young Robert Redford.

Although if death came as Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid it might be cool to bite the dust.

Date: August 22, 2018 08:00PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 09:16AM

So our image of God is Han Solo with a patina of Obi-wan? I'm ok with that.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 10:32AM

Or don't act like it.

Posted by: joecody ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 04:35PM

God looks like King Leonidas in the movie 300.

/thread.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 23, 2018 01:52AM

I was always taught that God is a spirit, and spirits are invisible.

That being said, I think that Michelangelo gave us some gorgeous imagery.

Date: August 23, 2018 12:44PM

His spirit is everywhere it can be felt. Mormons described that spirit as the Holy Ghost. I feel it is more omniscient than that.

It's the "white light" that envelopes spirits as they depart this world for the next. With a love that is pure and effervescent.

God is an engineer by nature. All one has to do is consider this complex world and universe, down to the minute details that goes into it to understand we weren't created in a vacuum. It was done by intelligent design.

Date: August 23, 2018 05:26PM

A fun time could be had defending the notion that ghawd's universe proves him to be be an idiot. Just because something seems to work does not prove anything positive or negative about the supposed designer.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 23, 2018 12:07PM

I think God looks like a Star Nebula. Something that Hubble may have photographed.

Date: August 23, 2018 12:28PM

"God" is gas and dust?

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 23, 2018 12:42PM

Yes, if there is actually a God it is just the matter that makes up the universe.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 23, 2018 11:56PM

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 12:20AM

Or old Santa clause

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.