Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 07:26AM

Apart from an odd visit or two by missionaries going door to door in the neighbourhood, my very inactive 39-year-old son and the Mormons have not had anything to do with each other since he was 12 years old. However, “ministering” seems to have changed that and we are now being visited almost weekly.

After my son answered the door to them once a few months ago and both of us ignoring their persistent knocking on two more different occasions, I got caught a few weeks ago when I opened my front door to a complete stranger with pen and notebook in hand who demanded to know whether my son lived there. He seemed surprised when I told him that I never give out that sort of information to people especially those who don’t have the courtesy to introduce themselves.

Him - “Oh, um I’m a missionary with the Mormon Church and I’m here because…”

Me – “ I know why you’re here, it’s because of the new ministering program and my son does not want anything to do with it or the church and doesn’t like being continuously harassed.”

His reply? They are not harassing anyone. All latter-day saints are under an obligation to look after each other and if a person’s name is in the records members have an obligation to visit that person. “However, everyone has free agency so just get your son to write out a letter of resignation and I promise you his name will be completely removed from our records and you won’t be visited again”.

I pointed out that written resignations may stop contact but names are never completely removed from the church records. Also, why should the Mormon church require a written resignation when no other church does? Seems like only a cult would demand that. His reply was: -

“Sister, I PROMISE you, I promise you that when a person resigns his or her name IS removed COMPLETELY from the church records, and as far as a written resignation goes, how much trouble is it to scribble a few words on a piece of paper? How much trouble could it possibly be?”

He then followed this by a short testimony on how much happier he is now as a Mormon than he ever was as a Catholic).

Me – “How much trouble is it to simply accept a person’s word that they want nothing more to do with the church? Oh, and when you left the Catholic church did you have to write a letter of resignation to stop them from chasing you?”

Him – “Um…er…well no, I didn’t”.

At that point, my elderly nearly blind, partially deaf, almost toothless dog came racing (in slow motion) up to the front door screaming out doggy swear words and quite determined to scare or tear the pants off my unwelcome visitor. As I quietened the dog, our newly minted minister gave a weak smile and started backing away. Somehow, I think he was probably a lot more scared of this old bitch than he was of my dog.

However, I did learn one thing from this representative of “Russell and Wendy’s Corporation of Even the Restored Gospel of the Church of Joseph Smith and, um… Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, henceforth never to be referred to as Mormons” - and that was - free agency equals you’d better do it our way or we’ll keep on pissing you off forever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 09:03AM

silvergenie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “Sister, I PROMISE you, I promise you that when
> a person resigns his or her name IS removed
> COMPLETELY from the church records..."

Since that is completely false (and I can prove it), his promises are completely worthless.

You handled that really well. I doubt it will stop them "ministering" to your family, but still...:)

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 02:50AM

How could they keep apostates and other resigned members of the church from attending the various BYUs if they didn't keep track of the resignations? B.S.

-

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 09:05AM

He lies.

Those names of the resigned are preserved, so when your son passes away at some time in the future, he will be necro-dunked posthumously. At such time he cannot raise a protest.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 06:40PM

Amyjo Wrote:
> He lies.
>
> Those names of the resigned are preserved, so when
> your son passes away at some time in the future,
> he will be necro-dunked posthumously. At such time
> he cannot raise a protest.

You are mistaken, Amyjo - that is not the reason. The reason that they maintain a list of resigned or excommunicated former members is so that if that person ever "repents" and wants to be rebaptized, there is a different procedure for former members than for never-mos.

Posted by: MYway ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 04:20AM

nli Wrote:
> Amyjo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > He lies.
> >
> > Those names of the resigned are preserved, so
> when
> > your son passes away at some time in the
> future,
> > he will be necro-dunked posthumously. At such
> time
> > he cannot raise a protest.
>
> You are mistaken, Amyjo - that is not the reason.
> The reason that they maintain a list of resigned
> or excommunicated former members is so that if
> that person ever "repents" and wants to be
> rebaptized, there is a different procedure for
> former members than for never-mos.

Why?

Because They are "RE-investigators"?

They KNOW more?
Or, should know BETTER?

Asidee: Amyjo didn't state that is "the" [your quotes] reason.
She rather stated that it is a (side effect) [partial purpose] reason.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 03:36PM

Yes, churchCo keeps a record of members who resign. Two good reasons for doing so have been stated: 1) so undeserving benefits are not given, and 2) so that the church's history with that individual can be accessed should that person seek to renew membership.

Here's why Amyjo's reason is totally wrong: The church does not have a department of dead-dunking resigned members a year after they die. The church is a business and would not spend money on a project that its faithful members will do for free. The church makes ZERO money off dead members! They can't be charged for the supposed benefits of dead-dunking.

And the church knows full well that the faithful relatives of the deceased resigned members will take care of getting them sprung from spirit prison via dead dunking.

Church headquarters never issued the command to dead-dunk Holocaust victims. That was just prideful members looking for reasons to brag about their genealogical accomplishments and faithfulness to ghawd's plan. ...Leaving the church shuffling around with its pants at its ankles, issuing dicta that Holocaust victims be left alone. Gotta love good Public Relations!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 10:12AM

I know that wasn't fun for you but it was fun to read so thanks for that! You asked all the right questions and you sure got the name of their church right.

They are so entitled. No class. No manners. Cult behavior.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 10:21AM

There is nothing like heart warming arrogance. It is good to be away from that.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 12:45PM

Wow! IMO, this is a combo plate from the buffet of stalking, harassing, and trespassing. Resigning is the best thing ever, but you don't need a letter of resignation to let them know that you will inform the police if they (or he) come around bothering you again.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: August 24, 2018 05:42PM

I’d be interested to know if it’s possible to get either a “cease and desist order”, or a “restraining order” against COJCOLDS et al

Date: August 25, 2018 12:01AM

To maintain an action against another party, you have to be the party 'affected' by the action against which you seek relief (or mandamus if you're looking for the other party to do something).

So if you could prove that los mormones were proxy baptising live human beings, and you could prove YOU had been made a member without your knowledge, much less your consent, you could sue for an appropriate remedy.

The issue at hand is that los mormones are proxy baptizing dead people. Dead people have very few rights. Dead people have no remedy for defamation. The estate of Elvis Presley could bring an action for defamation of character if they could your falsehoods cost them money...

Basically, it boils down to the fact that there is no good sense to the proposition that dead people need protection from being dead dunked. Some exmo relatives of these dead dunked people like to into a tizzy about it, but there is no way the courts are going to play along.

My particular answer to this is to not resign. That way my TBM daughter cannot dead dunk me! I'll be all snug and cozy in hell!

That's my view on this...

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 04:26AM

It's My way
The high way

Way to tell 'em.

The need reality checks
They'll cash them soon enough
Soon as they get ID [Independant Description]
And find a bank (suitable-patient enough)
And NEED MONEY [truth-freedom-happiness]
And care enough, to LEARN MORE
And ESCAPE

M@t

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 05:48AM

Great responses!

He never did tell you his name, right?

Fun read. I like your sense of humor!

Still, It makes me angry to have Mormons come to my home and LIE to me and my family. In my realm, they have no right to do that! If it's your house, you have a right to make the rules. I have reminded bullying Mormons of that, on several occasions, and my children and I have actually asked them to leave, when they started physically abusing my children and verbally insulting me. Mormons can be nasty.

Good luck. Good for you for establishing your boundaries. Unfortunately, you will have to fight for those boundaries, as long as you live. I'm glad your son is out. He needs to keep his boundaries, as well.

Resigning is the only thing that worked for me and my children.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 02:53PM

Hubby emailed the bishop asking for no contact. The response said it “would not stand“. He was invited to resign. Three times. It gave me more appreciation for you pesky uncooperative nonbeliving nonresigners.

Date: August 25, 2018 03:02PM

Thank you!

For certain personalities, 'sticking it' to the church, via its poor, suffering, often loony-tunes members, is a heck of a lot of fun!

Different strokes for different folks.

I grew up as a member of the mormon tribe. I can't go back to grow up a different way. I'm stuck with that 'base'. But I don't have to believe in the religion to enjoy what I found worthy as a tribal mormon. Which is probably the same for any tribe: being proud of good people who did good things, the tribe's way.

Go you Fighting Meerkats!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 02:12AM

It’s like that scene in Undercover Brother. “Mormonness confirmed. You’ve got soul.”

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 03:19PM

implies that you are one of their own

are you? Were you able to state 'i am not your sister' or that i am female but i am not a female in your family/ how would you phrase that/ Confusing.

But a missionary utilizing the word 'sister' to address a female stranger at her door way implies something. There a connotation, unsure of the exact proprietory implication of someone assuredly or stating confidantly that you are their sister, sort of that they own , ownership is implied. over the object which is so identified (that would be you)

If they were mistaken or if they were making an ownership assumption, projecting property (cultural or community property rights) over a person- how is that refuted? Was that the connotative implication of what was communicated when the religiousity salesperson (missionary ) approached someone's door asking for a family member in residence, and direclty addressed the unvisited (non asked for by name resident) who when they spoke to the resident, addressed them, as 'sister'

There's some meaning to this. Maybe someone else could articulate it or break it down utilizing marketing techniques; expertise in communication theory; expertise in applied grammar & implications; expertise in some persuasion field who are up on their research.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 07:42PM

Yes the use of the word "sister"really set my teeth on edge.

If he hadn’t started backing away from the formidable combination of an elderly dog and an old bitch, I would have queried him about the “sister” bit. I was already thinking about what to say when the dog interrupted -

Do you remember me from my 16 years as a Nursing Sister in the local Psychiatric Hospital?

No? then have you recently taken a DNA test that revealed me as your long-lost biological sibling?

Hmmm… Well you can’t be calling me your sister in TSCC because it’s common knowledge in the branch that I was ex-communicated years ago, so I guess it must be because I’m a woman and sister is a good generic name for us no-account beings.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 07:01PM

The leech that never goes away.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 06:08AM

The funniest part is that he mentions leaving the catholic church. The Catholics aren't coming to his door every month to see if he wants to repent and become catholic again. But, he feels its perfectly normal for the LDS church to harrass people that want nothing to do with them.

If they had the true gospel.
If it was the best thing since sliced bread, they wouldn't be tracking down people that want nothing to do with them.

LDS parents wouldn't be bribing and threatening their kids into activity.

LDS members in general wouldn't see going to church on Sunday as a chore, that they have to endure to the end.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.