Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kim76 ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 09:56AM

...that it’s coffee?

I really like the tea at Starbucks (especially green) and I want to take some to work in the afternoon because it helps with my anxiety/energy fluctuations so much (I don’t know how, but it does).

The problem? I’m still really sensitive about what my super TBM coworkers think and I always hope they think it’s hot chocolate, herbal tea, steamed apple juice or something.

But maybe I’ve already lost the battle. Do most people just assume it’s coffee at first glance?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 09:58AM

They don't know what good coffee tastes like?....sorry...my bad...couldn't resist....lol

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:56AM

Heh. Good ol’ Canuck 4am-at-the-arena joke.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 01:41PM

Thank GAWD my son didn't play hockey....never had to do that 0-dark 30 hockey practice shit.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:12AM

Are you still trying to "avoid even the appearance of evil?" haha. :)

I don't really think about it but now you ask, even I assume its coffee when I see a cup from Starbucks because that is the most likely. I get that having that cup around the TBMs could make you self conscious. They can be so judgmental.

You can buy those nice plastic drink cups with the lids that are meant to be refilled over and over and they will fill that for you at Starbucks. Leave some cinnamon herbal tea bags around your work area and they will assume you are fixing it yourself with those.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:13AM

When see someone with a Starbucks drink I assume they have more money than brains.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:14AM

I assume it's overpriced.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 11:09AM

My first thought too, BoJ.

Second thought:
People like to be seen drinking snobby expensive coffee. (Look at me! I waited in a long line. I overspent! I know the exclusive coffee-ordering lingo. I have great taste. I need to carry around my brand-cup.)

I dunno. Maybe I'm not into people and coffee enough to care one way or the other. I'm fine with instant in my own mug.

I think I'm getting weary of having giant logos on everything to do free advertising.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 09:13PM

Believe it or not, mot coffee snobs don’t go to Starbucks. They go independent.

Me, I do Starbucks once or twice a day. I make up for it by driving an old car and cooking at home.

Btw, I had a hard-core TBM employee that met me at Starbucks once or twice a week for years. He’d have a hot chocolate. And he never seemed uncomfortable in the least bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 09:15PM by jay.

Date: September 02, 2018 03:15PM

Thanks, jay.

I'm sure there are many such exceptions.

I think summer has it right: The secret is not to care what people think about your beverages choices.

I think I'm biased because many years ago I worked a short time in a bookstore with a Starbucks. My generalizations mostly reflect what I would think of myself based on customer interaction. (Only a small minority of the customers caused eye rolls and stereotypes among us behind the counter.)

We all have varying priorities when it comes to what we buy. That's a good thing.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 03:30PM

I do totally agree with you though.

It's funny to watch the morning crowd driving fast, rushing in to get a $5.00 coffee - It's a total waste of money.

I always get straight coffee - $2.85 for a venti. So, I can laugh at the fools paying $4.75 for a latte. Fortunately, there's always someone a bit dumber around - if you look hard enough.

btw, if they don't have the cardboard sleeve for the cup, I don't want the coffee. I think I'm into the whole ritual ---.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 03:32PM by jay.

Date: September 02, 2018 03:59PM

LOL!

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:23AM

It’s easy to make green tea...and cheap.....and no Starbucks cup to cause anxiety.

Posted by: motherkate ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:52AM

I do assume that Starbucks=coffee. Bad, way overpriced coffee. Have you considered making tea yourself if it makes you self conscious to be seen with a Starbucks cup? I occasionally really enjoy a good cup of tea, finding a high quality loose leaf tea that you like the taste of and then carefully brewing it yourself can be very pleasurable and relaxing, for me it’s sort of ritualistic. And then you get to enjoy your tea, exactly how you like it, in your own cup. I recently bought myself a beautiful mug with my name on it as a treat so I’ve been using that instead of my plain white mugs that came with my dishes and even though my coffee or tea still tastes like it always has, having this pretty little thing just for myself makes me happy. Just some suggestions, if you love your Starbucks, keep going and just do what is working for you.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 12:24PM

What would happen to your job if you resigned from the church and everyone at work knew about it? If the answer is that your job would be adversely affected, then you need to find a job somewhere else, or leave Utah if necessary. The same goes for the friendships with your co-workers. It looks like you've got a much bigger problem than just being able to drink your tea. If your job and friendships would not be affected, then to hell with them. Let them think whatever they want to think. You'll find out how professional your company and supervisors are or aren't, and how authentic your friendships with your co-workers really are.

It sounds like you are living a lie, or are afraid to be an authentic person. Even before your income and local family relationships, you need to be who you want to be. If others can't accept you as you want yourself to be where you are now, there are places you can go to be accepted as you are, or want to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 12:27PM by azsteve.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 01:30PM

After that, I also concur with Dave, Dagney, Bro/Jerry, and others, that Starbucks is overpriced and ostentatious, and I'm too politically incorrect to fit in with that crowd.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 12:43PM

No, I don't automatically assume that it's coffee. But others might. The secret is not to care about what they think of your beverage choices.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 11:45PM

I had no idea that they offered anything but coffee. Since I don't like coffee at all, I've never set foot in a Starbucks. Maybe it is worth looking into.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 01:08PM

I assume they are paying a lot for mediocre joe

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 01:25PM

"paying a lot for mediocre joe"

Like the mormons?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 01:49PM

I don't think that this is off-topic at all.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 04:13PM

I mainly go for everything bagels.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 05:44PM

People assume it's coffee the same way they assume a McDonald's bag contains a burger.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 11:38PM

Yeah, but no one assumes I'm an LA Dodger when I wear my EOD Dodger jersey, so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 11:46PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 12:45PM

Unless there's a tag from a tea bag sticking out under the lid, it's safe to guess a Starbucks cup's filled with their signature over-roasted and overpriced coffee.

Free advice- most stores sell insulated travel mugs at a reasonable price. You can buy loose leaf tea or teabags and brew your own.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 03:04PM

ookami Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ,,,it's safe to guess a Starbucks
> cup's filled with their signature over-roasted and
> overpriced coffee.

Why pay them to burn my coffee when I can do it myself a lot cheaper?
>
> Free advice- most stores sell insulated travel
> mugs at a reasonable price. You can buy loose leaf
> tea or teabags and brew your own.

Plenty of them for cheap at any thrift store. Teabags or loose tea and an infuser in a desk drawer is a big savings. "Pay heed to the small expenses," said Poor Richard. "A large ship can still sink with small leaks."

Posted by: Meri ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 02:48PM

I don't assume. As well, TBMs know that Starbucks has other drinks aside from wrong-tea and coffee. One suggested bubble tea to me before (which is really good btw).

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 03:23PM

I assume it's coffee. That's what starbucks is known for. I see MCDonalds bag, I assume burger and fries if it's close to noon or later.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 03:30PM

Honestly, I don’t care one way or another.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 05:30PM

That there isn't a Costa Coffee shop nearby? Bummer!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 08:31AM

Not all green tea is the same. Since Starbucks bought Teavana, an expensive gourmet tea brand, that is what it sells.

You can disguise the mug. That being said, aren't Mormons as adverse to your drinking tea as they are to coffee?

Tea has half the caffeine as a cup of joe. And filled with anti-oxidants and other nutrients that boost your energy and feeling good without the added rush of the loaded Starbucks coffee/caffeine.

Try to be yourself first and foremost. If you feel you must fake it to hold onto your job, I dunno. If it were me not sure what I'd do. Glad that I'm not in a position of employment where that matters. I drink what I like.

Posted by: apricot ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 09:00AM

Is their tea anything special? It would be way cheaper and more straightforward, possibly more discreet to make it yourself.

But, I am so far out of the church and out of the US that I have no assumptions about a starbucks cup.

Posted by: apricot ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 09:02AM

I'd recommend looking up a page on tea brewing. IDK how fastidious Starbucks would be about brewing properly, but there are different recommended ways to brew various teas.

Or, follow the directions on the package.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 09:50AM

Teavana has some nice variations on a theme of tea.

It is very good. But I can say the same for tea that is far less expensive.

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 10:52AM

That they don't have knowledge, choices or time/ sense.

That they don't know that TMC said, in 2012, that caffeine was never as issue and isn't against the wow [that it's HOT DRINKS].

That their co-workers/ the public don't know this/ better.

That they are doing what their 'church' tells them to-judging.

That they are nosey and can't/ don't think rationally.

That they have bigger problems they are trying to conceal.

That they don't have a life, but a death. That's bad. Okay?

M@t

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 01:57PM

It's not your coworkers business to assume what you have in your cup. Drink up and enjoy.

I felt the same in my early days of post Mormonism, because I was still married to a TBM and I was asked to keep my new beliefs hidden. (That didn't work very well as you can see)

I was still navigating all my feelings around pushing limits and boundaries; including coffee.

Then one day it happened. I had THE CUP in my hand and ran into a long standing LDS acquaintance. Not even a close friend because I had no really close friends EVER in Mormonism. Only my assigned surface friends who surveyed my life. I knew that this person would "turn and report" out of "concern".

By then I denounced Mormonism, so that rumor flew around town and I was love bombed. I wanted to avoid the shallow friends as much as possible. These were people who never paid me any attention when I had actual needed help and concern (Like when my ex TBM spouse abused me).
Nope, they were concerned about me being seen with a cup in a coffee store.

I learned the following responses.

"Why are you concerned about this?"
"How does this involve you?"

Now I live by the mantra that what other people think of me is none of my concern.

It takes awhile to grow out of the habit of wondering what others think of you and putting value in it.

It holds no value and power over you when you take that power back for yourself.

RMM

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 03:37PM

Quite a long time ago I stopped worrying about what anyone else is drinking unless the person drinking it is my minor child or my designated driver. I don't pay any attention to it. Old habits die hard, but it's something anyone can learn to disregard.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: September 03, 2018 08:34PM

I don't think

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.