Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 03:46PM

In the way back machine, when DH and I were believers, my Priesthood-bearing husband would answer some of my questions with the show-stopping, shut-up stupid phrase, Its not necessary for your salvation.

Did anyone else get that teeth-grinding response?

I tease DH about it now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 03:51PM

Knowing if you sustain your leaders is necessary for your salvation yet knowing if you can attain godhood isn't?

Every Mormon I know who questioned much of anything Mormon got that "not necessary" response.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 04:00PM

You are right. Any provocative question not in the church manual was worthy of Its not necessary for your salvation.

Turns out, none of the CR@P they taught is necessary for my salvation, whatever salvation is.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 04:01PM

Or, "it will all be made clear in the fullness of time", to which I always responded, "what/when is the fullness of time?". Crickets

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 04:01PM

I had (almost) forgotten about that phrase: "that's not necessary for your Salvation."
I heard that one a lot! I was a convert and had a lot of questions nobody could answer. I had not grown up with all those cultural rules, and unwritten policies. I was floundering. What to do? I scoured several books, finally landing on Bruce R. McConkie's "Mormon Doctrine" (in the 60's) thinking I had found the mother-load. Ah-ha. I had some answers I could live with. I studied manuals trying to get that "only true answer" like my life depended on it. I had spoken with him, briefly, shook his hand, asked a question, etc. He was the expert. He had all the answers. (I still have that book in my collection. I've given most of my Mormon history library away to my oldest kids.)

Once I realized the whole mess was nothing but a bunch of made up stories and plagiarized ideas and theology, it all became clear. None of it has an ounce of truth or a single fact to support the claims. Zero! What a relief. I was trying to make sense out of nonsense.

That was a kind of epiphany! I jumped up off my computer desk chair, punching the air: YES YES YES! The core was rotten. Joseph Smith Jr perpetrated a huge fraud and thousands of people still believe it and would die for it.

The upshot? None of this religious nonsense is necessary for anything; not my life now or for any imaginary salvation!

I was done!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 04:02PM

I think that members should respond to probing questions from their bishops by saying “that’s not necessary for your salvation.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.