Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 10:13AM

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/05/leave-ryker-and-questin-and-anbre-alone-it-makes-perfect-sense-that-mormons-give-their-kids-unusual-names.html

" By now, I’ve heard all the jokes about Utah names, but what I haven’t heard is a unified theory of just why the Mormon people of Utah are so inclined to create them. I humbly offer two hypotheses.

The first is my historical-cultural theory—that the penchant for invented names among Mormons lies in its very foundation: It goes all the way back to its founder, Joseph Smith, who had to come up with the names of hundreds of figures to populate the faith’s foundational text that he wrote, the Book of Mormon. So I guess you could say it all started there, with Mormon himself.

Now, for the faithful Mormons who believe that Smith’s writing of the Book of Mormon was a translation of what he found on the golden plates, and not an invention in itself, this theory may be lacking. But even if you believe Mormon and Nephi and Amnor and Laman were real historical figures who once roamed the North American continent, the idea that Mormons come from a people with melodious and distinctive names is still a reasonable explanation for today’s Mormons’ own belief that they deserve the same.

My second theory is more sociological. Due to the LDS church’s teachings, which enthusiastically urge procreation and center the nuclear family above all else, there are a LOT of kids in Utah—women in Utah give birth to an average of 2.3 kids in their lifetimes, while the national average is just 1.8 children.

The families in Utah tend to be relatively homogenous—overall, Utah is becoming increasingly diverse, both racially and religiously, but that diversity is overwhelmingly concentrated in its capital, Salt Lake City. In small towns like the one where I grew up, Payson (located about 60 miles south of Salt Lake), the population is almost 96 percent white and 93 percent Mormon. That overwhelming portion of Mormons matters a lot. It means almost all of these kids share a culture, and a strong one—one that sends them to the same churches to learn the same religious curriculum week after week, that encourages them to wear similarly modest clothes and use polite language, and to plan for future booze-free lives centered around family and faith. "

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2018 10:16AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 01:01PM

This article was poorly written, imo.

Rhapsodizing about the 'beautiful people' who have these names - whatever.

There are much bigger issues with LDS than this drivel.

And I don't agree the names are 'melodious'. They're stupid.

LDS LOVES being 'weird'. And the author of this article just HAD to go there:

'peculiar people'

You knew it was coming and she did not disappoint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2018 01:02PM by carameldreams.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 01:32PM

…"Hi, my name is Zelph… can I take your order?"

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 04:28PM

Millions of minions. Gru would be jealous. Unless Nelson is Gru.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 11:45PM

"LDS LOVES being 'weird'."

Yup. Persecuted, weird, estranged, etc. They love it. They think it makes them unique. 0.0003% of the population and the elect, whatever, lol.

Posted by: Jane Cannary ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 10:21AM

Speaking of weird, did anyone see The Voice a year or so ago that a mormon girl made it on. She looked normal for auditions, but for the next round they dress up. She wore a beautiful black outfit and it seems like it had sparkles or sequins in gold or silver. Get this, she wore a white t-shirt underneath! It showed probably 4" - 5" above the neckline of that dressy outfit.

There's no way she could think that's anywhere close to attractive. If she wanted more coverage she could have chosen a different outfit or wore a black t-shirt underneath. But no,it was a thin white t-shirt with ribbing so it didn't look at all dressy paired with a sparkly black outfit.

The only reason I could think she would do that is to be weird, to make sure everyone knew she's mormon. I remember my friend's mother telling us that her mother used to make her wear a t-shirt under anything that didn't have sleeves for modesty, and she hated it because it ruined the way the outfit was supposed to look. But The Voice girl's dress wasn't immodest. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall to hear the conversation with the wardrobe people trying to convince her that this was not the fashionable thing to do.

I haven't spent much time in Utah, but I'm wondering how many girls still wear undershirts that show, and if most mormons cringed when they saw that girl, or if they felt all warm and fuzzy.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 02:20PM

Rhybekka

Bhruze

Aulechzandher

Hdebboruh

Bhobb

Psalmh (it's pronounced 'sam')

Mhutanie on the Bhougntee

Date: May 26, 2018 03:40PM

Jesus! (Is a better name choice)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2018 03:41PM by carameldreams.

Date: May 26, 2018 03:42PM

Emma is popular. Amelia (Brigham’s favorite wife) is, too.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 06:55PM

I love guys from Utah named Nephi or Helaman that drink hard and fight on saturday nights. Knew two in the Army like that. The only thing Mormon about them were their names.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 26, 2018 09:24PM

Appears to be another "article" bought and paid for by LD$ inc.

Date: May 26, 2018 09:36PM

Totally agree.

From the article:

"To this day, I think my friends’ names are beautiful names, probably in part because I know the lovely human beings they belong to and couldn’t possibly imagine them with any names other than the ones they’ve got."

Gag me.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: May 27, 2018 12:58PM

I still feel sorry for the poor Nauvoo kid that JS named Mahonri Moriancumer (allegedly the name of the Brother of Jared). JS must have laughed himself to sleep many a night over that one.

Posted by: Anon for This one ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 12:28AM

One of the boys is named Joseph; another is Mahonri. Among the girls are Zoralei and Esmyral. I can't remember the other kids. Since they hang in uber-Mormon circles, (and the kids are home-schooled) maybe the kids don't take too much hassling for the unusual names.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 01:02AM

Since Joseph (and whoever helped him) started the MormonCultWeirdNameClub, I think it only fitting and fair that
Joey gets a few.

Such as:

Hpesoj (Joseph spelled backwards)
Sleazy Weasel
Lying Horny Joe
Man Who Would Be Jesus

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 11:39AM

And it isn't something like Tanner or Jackson. If I post it, some people might know who he is. Not like that matters, but I'll let him tell his own name. All his siblings have odd names.

We had boring names I thought, but I'm glad. I got the best girl's name of the 3 girls.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 28, 2018 12:24PM

My sister-in-law from Utah has a normal name but with an unusual spelling. It's spelled "Tami," which makes me think Nephi, Lehi, Jedi... but it's pronounced "Tammy." A little better than the usual LaVoy, DeVaughn, LaFrysauce, I guess.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 10:54PM

Makurosu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little better than... LaFrysauce, I guess.

Sausie has a sister?

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 09:39PM

Where did Ruela and Rulon come from?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 02:12PM

Weird names is one of the few forms of individuality and creativity not frowned upon in LDS culture.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 02:27PM

My extended family has a ton of Hyrum's and Abel's. Plus a plethora of Mary Lynn's spelled in a multitude of ways.

And what was with putting "La" in front of about every name possible in the 50's?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.