Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 04:46PM

The hurricane is coming and it appears the famous lighthouse will be in the middle of it. I first visited it back in the summer of 1970, having just graduated from law school at Duke and, of course, got a good photograph. I also have a necktie with the lighthouse on it. It is at the cape that the gulfstream leaves the shore of North Carolina to go across the Atlantic to Europe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 05:02PM

Hopefully the storm weakens. Even if it doesn't the lighthouse should survive. I love lighthouses. I used to spend my summers, as a kid, out in Greenport, near the end of Long Island. It was like "Flipper". We had two boats and went everywhere. Docked at Montauk, Cedar Island, Plum Gut, Orient Point and a few others that I can't remember their names. Most were obsolete and replaced by new, electronically remote controlled light towers. They were so cool. It must've taken special kinds of people to live in and operate light houses. Total isolation, resupply once a week. Man the lighthouse in all kinds of weather. Rough winters. Home school your kids. You lived on Oceanfront property but no neighbors, no restaurants, no nothing. I wish I could retire at a few.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 05:55PM

The ultimate outlier, alone, giving him/herself up for the good of the main herd.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 11:00AM

You know that all this hype about some stupid hurricane is just FAKE NEWS. Seriously, I mean CNN is even reporting it. Isn't that the litmus test of fake news?

I think all the Evangelicals and Mormons need to hold a convention/Revival or Trump rally on the Carolina beach today and show the world that they're not falling for it. Hurry Trumpers. You need to get there quickly! All of you! The closer to the water the better. Pitch your tents in the sand. That will show those Libtards! It will be so much fun. Hurry!

Date: September 12, 2018 01:14PM

It now appears that the brunt will be further south of Hatteras. The rain will be extraordinary. Floods have happened where I live now. In '57 several people died not far from my home (under a mile) when a bridge was broken by the currents and we had 17 inches of rain.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 01:21PM

They're saying this may be the biggest storm since 1954. Hope you and your neighbors stay safe.

Date: September 13, 2018 04:40PM

I think we are from this one. I'm in Connecticut. My dad always remembered the hurricane of 1938.

Date: September 18, 2018 03:49PM

Ouch. The remaining waters of Florence are flooding Connecticut.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 02:19PM

I have some very close friends who retired to Ocracoke. I visited them a few years back and absolutely fell in love with the place--the people and the incredible beautiful beaches. They've evacuated for a couple of storms in the past few years but nothing like this. I just want it to be over and know that the island is safe.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 05:29PM

Our friends in that area, please be safe and report to us a lot!

Posted by: Jojo ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 06:15PM

We received 24" of rain Sunday night. I never heard such noise as the rain came down. Roads are washed out. My neighbor's basement was almost to the ceiling with water. He's a musician and he lost thousands of dollars of music gear. I saw his drums floating in the backyard. He was almost in tears when I talked to him. I know many others had it worse than us. I can't imagine what they're going through.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 07:25PM

I'm sorry, Jojo. That sounds really terrible.

Central Maryland is doing well. We had some minor flooding and a lot of storm debris washing up on area coastlines and beaches. We were under the same tornado watch last night that Virginia was under with nothing much happening. We are still under flood watch. All and all, nothing to complain about.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.