Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 03:32PM

I ask because I find myself very exhausted after working my sedentary job where I sit at a desk on a computer and do paperwork. Since I've been semi-retired for five years, and only work part-time, it is really an easy job. So I can't complain.

But it's mentally exhausting!

Why are desk jobs so exhausting compared to physical labor? I've worked both in my lifetime. One you get tired from physical exhaustion. Desk jobs from being sedentary.

Do you have a preference, or find you are better at one more than the other?

I'm so looking forward to retirement when I can set my own schedule each and every day. Am still counting down the clock for that to happen. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 03:46PM

Mental is worse...but not just one answer for this...IMO. I am retired; for awhile now, but did find the tendency to relax just increased my exhaustion. I had many years of hard labor and activity, which it seemed, helped keep me keep moving. After retirement, I viewed myself as being out of the workplace; a pensioner; a non-societal entity; (mental). If I could have a do-over, I would have kept going; start a small business or something. Don't stop the forward momentum......

Date: September 21, 2018 09:01PM

It must've been harder to slow down after being physically active while in the labor force, in retirement.

I can see why you'd want to keep moving and doing.

My dad liked to watch cartoons lol, in his retirement. I remember him telling me that his doctor told him it was mentally healthy for him to do that because it indicated he had a good sense of humor. WB Looney Tunes were his favorites.

Dad worked in physically demanding jobs most of his life. After retirement he did lots around the home until old age crept up and he pretty much had to slow down eventually.

Date: September 21, 2018 03:58PM

I've imagined how life will be different when I make that transition from the workforce. Have considered volunteering somewhere. Taking up a new hobby, or revisiting an old one.

See myself travelling more. My children live overseas. Nothing to tie me down except myself.

Physical labor in a way was more invigorating because it is a cardiovascular workout in itself. That is a different kind of exhaustion at the end of the day than mental stress.

One good thing about my job is I don't bring it home with me. It stays at the office.

It takes money, time, and energy to start a small business. Have wondered about doing something like that myself. It could be "taxing" in more ways than one. :)

I have some ideas to keep working into retirement. Time will tell. Having worked for the US Treasury Department for 12 years, I could even help people prepare their income taxes during tax season. It's enough for me to manage my own at tax time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2018 04:31PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 04:00PM

Illness causing physical exhaustion also is mentally exhausting. The older I become, the longer it takes to recover. Continual, chronic pain is also exhausting.
Take your pick. Life is exhausting!

Date: September 21, 2018 04:02PM

Amen to the above, oh Wise One.

:)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 04:24PM

I’m tired between the ears.

Date: September 21, 2018 04:29PM

That sounds like me! It is Friday. At least I get two days to recuperate.

I love weekends. :)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 04:45PM

I have to wonder what it will be like when I’m ten years older. I don’t remember my parents being this tired.

Date: September 21, 2018 05:05PM

We're charting new territory, Kathleen.

We're living through different times as well.

((((Hugs))))

My new slogan since going home for brother's funeral last week was on the doorkey of the hotel I stayed in my first night there. It says simply "Journey Onward." (Be sure to get enough rest, as much as you need.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2018 05:06PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 04:47PM

I think desk jobs are difficult because our bodies really arent meant to be sitting in that type of position for all or half a day. Just like how they say that position is really not a good one for doing a number 2.

I worked a job that required me to be on my feet for the whole time for 5 years. I think it really helped keep me in a non sedentary state of mind. And I think it has helped me keep an active mindset. I don't know for sure but if I ever wind up doing a desk job I may see differences in my exhaustion.

Date: September 21, 2018 05:02PM

For the twelve years I worked for the federal government, I worked two sedentary jobs back to back - @ 60 hr workweeks M-F. It took a toll on my health for sure. The one good thing besides the extra pay in my take home was I slept as sound as a baby night after night. Now that I'm down to one job, it feels good to resume a mostly normal sleep schedule again.

Posted by: anonthegreat ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 05:24PM

Did you see my John Nash posts? They had some interesting accounting tid-bits that might have interested you.

Date: September 21, 2018 06:12PM

No, not that I recall. I'll read them if you provide the links!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 06:12PM

I think the worst is when metal and physical exhaustion are combined.

Teaching can really knock it out of you -- particularly if you are dealing with little kids. Whenever I feel exhaustion now, I try to remind myself that I had it just as bad 20 years ago. Some days I am so tired I come home and sleep right away for a couple of hours (say, from 4-6 P.M.) Then I eat, shower, and go back to bed. I call it, "split sleep." I did this a lot when I taught 1st grade. Even young teachers complain about fatigue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2018 06:12PM by summer.

Date: September 21, 2018 08:27PM

When my children were very young, I'd go to the doctor for my physical and ask him to test me for chronic fatigue. He told me the only cure for it was when my children grew up. He forgot to mention that getting older takes a toll of its own.

I know what you mean. Kids are a LOT of work.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 07:52PM

I think mental exhaustion causes physical exhaustion.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 07:55PM

I was about to say this. The more mentally tired I get, the more likely I am to become physically tired.

Date: September 21, 2018 09:01PM

It does me.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 09:30PM

People often think that since I sit at a computer and work, that I should be up to anything when my day is over. They also don't get that since I work on production, that the time I spent working is doubly difficult as I am putting in as much energy as I can expend while I'm working.

It WEARS ME OUT. Last night, I did a report that had over 50 lab tests that I had to look up every one on google as you have to make sure the hypens are in the right place, that the abbreviations are capitalized correctly or not capitalized, etc. It is a patient they were testing for Parkinson's disease. I don't get paid well on those types of reports and it wears me out big time. Oncology reports wear me out as it is the same type of thing.

But then when I act lethargic when I'm done working, everyone thinks I shouldn't be.

I grew up as a farmer's daughter. I worked my ass off all my life and I still do. Shockingly, I've overweight, but I do all the yard work including things my ex should be doing. I do all the cleaning in the house. I even do all the painting inside and out. If I do too much of my medical transcription, it can make me stare at the ceiling when trying to sleep. If I did yard work or housework most of the day, I fall in the bed exhausted and barely open my eyes.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 07:58PM

For the two first years of my Federal career, I was a medical transcriber at a Navy Hospital. I had worked in medical billing prior to that, so I had a good medical vocabulary and seem to be a whiz at spelling (language background.)

I enjoyed it for a while, but after learning the words in one field after another, I got bored. It was kind of like learning a new language for me. Once I had the words down, there wasn't much of a challenge left. A friend told me that they needed bilinguals in Social Security, so I applied, passed a language interview over the phone, and spent the rest of my Federal career trekking all over the country with my ex as he got promotions. I could transfer from one office to another, all over the country, so it worked out well.

When we were living in Louisiana, I got tired of both his attitude and the presence of his girlfriend, so when the agency advertised openings for experienced people, especially bilinguals, for a new office opening in NM, I applied for it and was accepted.

More than thirty years now, happily retired, I consider myself an adoptee of NM.

Date: September 22, 2018 08:08PM

That worked out really well for you.

Your ex-husband didn't deserve you.

Having your own career helped pave the way to where you are today. That, and an extra heaping dose of moxie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.