Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 09:04PM

I left years ago, in the 90's, resigned, the whole deal. And still I get mail from BYU etc, even after having moved several times during that period.

I get it. They have people who work at updating their data base for alumni.

BUT today, out of the blue, I get something from Scientology of SLC.

WTF??

I don't even live on the west side of the Mississippi.
Why would SLC Scientology, whom I never have had contact with, send me a handwritten letter thanking me for asking about them and giving me their closest place in the state where I live?

I have never contacted them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 09:58PM

Now that is intriguing.

I wonder if they think that ex-Mormons or Mormons are more susceptible to believing in their particular form of cult religion?

If you're being targeted, consider they have a list with yours and others names on it to canvass. I wonder whether cookies from our search engines on the Internet could trigger some of these mailings, from data harvesters?

Posted by: BYU sells student info ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 10:54PM

When I attended BYU, I received a flyer in the mail with the promise of receiving a prize if I attended a sales pitch. I attended it, and the pitch promoted a buying club which one was not able to preview in advance of paying for it. It was about $1100 to join in around 2000. The salesman told us that he had received our contact info from BYU.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 01:38AM

Going to BYU was VERY expensive .....for those of us who actually had to pay their way / were not on an insider scholarship. after BYU had cleaned out your bank account for tuition, they'd routinely call up and ask for even MOReMONey for their excellence in the 80's program. It is not possible for LD$ Inc to steal too much in Jesus' name from any one willing to give it.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 01:47PM

...I don't know if the corporate body proper sells them, but somehow the return missionaries working for the MLM's, alarm companies, etc, are able to obtain the Ward and Stake member rolls. They might acquire them from the higher-ups as a sort of a "payback", or "leg up", for all the missionaries prior hard work for the Corp?

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 03:03PM

They sell information about dead people.

There's good money in it too.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 05:17PM

Angela---

You might have some friends or acquaintances that love to play childish pranks..... I should know I've done it many times.

When you're in a situation where you're asked for your name/address etc., put down your favorite target's name and other information. They'll get the junk mail, missionary/JW visits etc., of the offending organization

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 05:48PM

I would think LDS corp would be more interested in buying lists than selling theirs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.