Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:23PM

Someone from the stake taught gospel doctrine one day. I had a question that I asked afterwards, and he said that Christ won't come again until the practice of animal sacrifices was reinstated.

I felt tectonic creaking in my shelf.

I have read (I'll find a citation if anyone wants one) that JS sacrificed dogs, and that livestock was sacrificed and then given to JS Sr.

Does any of this ring a bell to anyone ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:25PM

In fact, after my first dog got killed, I was a mess. It hadn't been that long since my ex left me and it was just too much to take. I found an article in the local paper about LDS teachings about animals and it made me feel a lot better. I was still a believer then. I probably even still have the article as I put it in my journal.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:29PM

The guy who taught that class has a few chinks missing in his armour. Even more than the usual amount by diehard TBM's.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:33PM

I've never heard the JS dog killing story, but I'm ashamed to admit that I once taught a lesson (using Institute materials) about animal sacrifice in the last days. The point of the lesson was that all church practices from prior dispensations would have to be restored (at least in a limited fashion) in the dispensation of the fullness of times.

I had forgotten about that lesson. Wow, I can't believe some of the crap I taught.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:34PM

Yes, I have heard that teaching, even in Scotland. So not limited to the Utah Crazies.

The logic was that EVERYTHING must be restored before the 2nd coming, including animal sacrifices.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 07:03PM

...so will they take away the black people being members then?

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:36PM

That one can be backed up.

Joseph Smith did indeed say that animal sacrifice would be one of the things restored in his new church.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:40PM

Guess I was asleep at the switch because I thought that Jesus had fulfilled the need for animal sacrifices.

Could we just gather all the leaders' hair pieces and burn those instead?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 01:00PM

Posted by: moremany-NLI ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 11:22PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Could we just gather all the leaders' hair pieces
> and burn those instead?

The "leaders" have no hair.
It's why they are there...
Looking for their hair.

Square.

M@t

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:43PM

It's been over 30 years ago but our stake president said animal sacrifice would be restored in the temples.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:50PM

There are a number of people in Jerusalem who've already restarted the practice...so I guess it's OK for Jeezus to come back now?

https://www.newsweek.com/why-do-jewish-activists-keep-trying-sacrifice-goats-jerusalems-old-city-583433

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 01:15PM

Texans perfected it. If Jesus really likes BBQ, he will appear in Texas before he appears in Jerusalem. Only the temples west of the Rockies have the door facing the right direction.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 04:22PM

Practicing Muslims also sacrifice a goat (or other animal) for the Eid. I work with several, and they all did it. They of course let the butcher do the sacrificing, and did with the meat what the Koran says to do with it; mostly going to people and families in need of food.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 12:57PM

I was taught that The Dispensation of The Fullness of Times required "all things" restored and all old covenants and promises made new what ever that means.

Date: September 19, 2018 01:09PM

“In the time of their digging for money and not finding it attainable, Joe Smith told them there was a charm on the pots of money, and if some animal was killed and the blood sprinkled around the place, then they could get it. So they killed a dog, and tried this method of obtaining the precious metal; but again money was scarce in those diggings. Still, they dug and dug, but never came to the precious treasure. Alas! how vivid was the expectation when the blood of poor Tray was used to take off the charm, and after all to find their mistake." - Emily Coburn, in Emily M. Austin, Mormonism; or, Life Among the Mormons, 1882, pp. 32-33

Date: September 19, 2018 01:55PM

Over Alvin's dead body and I'm not talking about a chipmunk.

http://blog.mrm.org/2008/09/you-didnt-bring-your-dead-brother-alvin-sorry-you-cant-have-the-plates/

If anyone is curious about the connection to treasure hunting and God bringing The Book of Mormon for saving the planet look no further.

It was obviously a treasure seeking stunt before it became the truest book on the planet. I swear on Alvin's grave.

Date: September 19, 2018 02:21PM

Woah! So Lucy Mack Smith was the mastermind behind the whole operation. Alvin was groomed to be the “prophet” but then unexpectedly died. That’s when it fell to Joe.

What a family.

Date: September 19, 2018 02:22PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> What a family.

That was a dynasty.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 11:31AM

Joe Kennedy was desperate to have one his sons anointed as President. Joe Jr. was told to come back a hero, except his bomber got shot down. The mantle fell to Jack who did come back a hero (sort of).

The brains of the family was actually Robert, sort of like Hyrum's playing off the Smith replacement heir apparent, Joe Jr.

The perils of primogeniture.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 11:32AM

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 12:23AM

"...poor Tray?"

Was Tray a family pet?

If any jerk killed my beloved dog, for any reason, I would go nuts!

Just another reason to hate JS. I wonder if polygamy is something the Mormons would like to bring back? Probably.

I'd like to restore the old custom of tarring and feathering.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 02:03PM

Can you imagine the stench in the temples if they were turned into abattoirs?

Shudder-ly yrs,

S

Date: September 19, 2018 02:08PM

Last time I went I don't remember it smelling very pleasant.

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 02:11PM

Here is some documentation about animal sacrifice.

“Animal sacrifice after the death of Christ is another Old Testament practice that has found a place in Mormon beliefs. It was Joseph Smith himself who taught this doctrine:
... it is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice ... was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in [the] future: but those who assert this are certainly not aquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the priesthood, or with the Prophets....

These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built,... be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 211).

In the Journal of Wandle Mace the following is recorded: ‘Joseph told them to go to Kirtland, and cleanse and purify a certain room in the Temple, that they must kill a lamb and offer a sacrifice unto the Lord which should prepare them to ordain Willard Richards a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles’ (‘Journal of Wandle Mace,’ p. 32, microfilmed copy at Brigham Young University Library).

Joseph Fielding Smith said that ‘the law of sacrifice will have to be restored.... Sacrifice by the shedding of blood was instituted in the days of Adam and of necessity will have to be restored’ (Doctrines of Salvation, vol. 3, p.94).

It is interesting to note that even though the Mormon church teaches animal sacrifice after the death of Christ, they cannot find any support for this doctrine in the Book of Mormon. In fact, the Book of Mormon condemns it in the strongest terms. In 3 Nephi 9:19 Jesus was supposed to have said: ‘And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.’

There are many other Old Testament practices in Mormonism. This should be sufficient, however, to convince the reader that the Mormon church leaders have sometimes followed Old Testament practices in preference to the clear teachings of Christ.”

As quoted from: Jerald and Sandra Tanner, Changing World of Mormonism, pp. 488-489 www.utlm.org

“For example, while Joseph Smith condemned the practice of animal sacrifices after the death of Christ in his Book of Mormon (3 Nephi 9:19), he later wrote that, ‘These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings.’ (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 211)

According to Wandle Mace, a devout Mormon, Joseph Smith instructed his followers to offer an animal sacrifice in the Kirtland Temple: ‘Joseph told them to go to Kirtland, and cleanse and purify a certain room in the Temple, that they must kill a lamb and offer a sacrifice unto the Lord which should prepare them to ordain Willard Richards a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.’ (‘Journal of Wandle Mace,’ page 32, microfilmed copy at Brigham Young University Library). Wilford Woodruff, who later became the fourth prophet of the Mormon Church, claimed that President Brigham Young disclosed that when the temple was completed in Utah, it would have a sacrificial altar: ‘Under the pulpit in the west End will be a place to Offer Sacrafizes. There will be an Altar prepared for that purposes [sic] so that when any sacrifices are to be offered they should be offered there.’ (Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898, December 18, 1857, vol. 5, p. 140)

Although it is clear that the first two prophets of the Mormon Church believed that animal sacrifice would be an important part of the ‘gospel,’ we know of no accounts of any animal sacrifice in Mormonism after the 1840s.

From the evidence we have examined, it appears that Joseph Smith's interest in blood sacrifices did not originally come from reading the Old Testament but rather from his participation in the occult. Joseph Smith's involvement in magic practices had always been denied by the Mormon Church until 1971, when Wesley P. Walters discovered an original document which proves that Joseph Smith was a "glass looker" and that he was arrested and examined before a justice of the peace in Bainbridge, N.Y. in 1826. This document is Justice Albert Neeley's bill showing the costs involved in several trials held in 1826. The fifth item from the top mentions the examination of "Joseph Smith The Glass Looker" (see Mormonism—Shadow or Reality? p. 34, for a photograph of the complete document [Web-editor: also see Messenger #95]).

This document confirmed the historicity of the examination record which had been published since 1873. In this document Joseph Smith admitted that he used a Seer Stone which he placed in his hat to try to locate buried treasures. The reader will no doubt be struck by the similarity to the magical practice of crystal gazing which is widely practiced in the occult. In Joseph Smith's time magicians and other individuals influenced by the occult used this method to find buried treasures and lost items. In the printed record we read that Joseph Smith said ‘That he had a certain stone which he had occasionally looked at to determine where hidden treasures in the bowels of the earth were; that he... had occasionally been in the habit of looking through this stone to find lost property for three years...’ (see complete transcript in Mormonism—Shadow or Reality? p. 32)

A few years after Smith's run in with the law, he was using this same method — a stone placed in a hat — to translate the Book of Mormon. David Whitmer, one of the Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon, wrote: ‘I will now give you a description of the manner in which the Book of Mormon was translated. Joseph would put the seer stone into a hat, and put his face in the hat, drawing it closely around his face to exclude the light; and in the darkness the spiritual light would shine. A piece of something resembling parchment would appear, and on that appeared the writing.’ (An Address To All Believers In Christ, 1887, page 12) Many witnesses confirmed this statement and even the Mormon historian B. H. Roberts referred to the use of a Seer Stone in translating the Book of Mormon (see A Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 1, p. 129).

Besides the magical stone, the money diggers often offered animal sacrifices to the demons who guarded the treasures. There seems to be a good deal of evidence to show that Joseph Smith and others in his family participated in blood sacrifices in their money digging operation. For example, in an affidavit William Stafford related:
‘I, William Stafford, having been called upon to give a true statement of my knowledge, concerning the character and conduct of the family of Smiths... do say... A great part of their time was devoted to digging for money...

‘Joseph Smith, Sen., came to me one night, and told me, that Joseph Jr. had been looking in his glass, and had seen not many rods from his house, two or three kegs of gold and silver, some feet under the surface of the earth... I accordingly consented to go... Joseph, Sen. first made a circle, twelve or fourteen feet in diameter. This circle, said he, contains the treasure. He then stuck in the ground a row of witch hazel sticks, around the said circle, for the purpose of keeping off the evil spirits.... the old man... by signs and motions, asked leave of absence, and went to the house to inquire of young Joseph the cause of our disappointment. He soon returned and said, that Joseph had remained all this time in the house, looking in his stone and watching the motions of the evil spirit... it caused the money to sink.... the old man observed... we had made a mistake in the commencem[e]nt of the operation; if it had not been for that, said he, we should have got the money.

‘At another time... Old Joseph and one of the boys came to me one day, and said that Joseph Jr. had discovered some very valuable treasures, which could be procured only in one way... a black sheep should be taken on the ground where the treasures were concealed—that after cutting its throat, it should be led around a circle while bleeding. This being done, the wrath of the evil spirit would be appeased: the treasures could then be obtained... I let them have a large fat sheep. They afterwards informed me, that the sheep was killed pursuant to commandment; but as there was some mistake in the process, it did not have the desired effect. This, I believe is the only time they ever made money-digging a profitable business.’ (Mormonism Unvailed, by E.D. Howe, 1834, pages 237-239)

As quoted from: Jerald and Sandra Tanner, Salt Lake City Messenger #81,(March 1992)
www.utlm.org.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 05:13PM

Well done.

Date: September 22, 2018 11:34AM

So why does this god require sacrifices ?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 02:15PM

I remember being taught that years ago. So the only way to bring about the future is to reinstate the past? Seems rather paradoxical.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 04:02PM

I was taught that, too.

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 06:54PM

Well I am not going to worry about animal sacrifices until I stop seeing rainbows. Since a rainbow can not appear for a year I figure I have time.

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 06:56PM

Yup. Posted about it a couple of years ago.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1860168

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 07:49PM

Yes, I have certainly heard of it. Below I have pasted in a discussion of the subject found in chapter 13 of the Doctrine & Covenants Student Manual (the student manual for the D&C Institute course), which you can find at lds.org here: https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/section-13-the-restoration-of-the-aaronic-priesthood?lang=eng

Here is the excerpt:

D&C 13:1. What Is Meant by the Sons of Levi Offering an Offering of Righteousness unto the Lord?

The Prophet Joseph Smith commented as follows on this scripture:

“It is generally supposed that sacrifice was entirely done away when the Great Sacrifice [i.e.,] the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus was offered up, and that there will be no necessity for the ordinance of sacrifice in the future; but those who assert this are certainly not acquainted with the duties, privileges and authority of the Priesthood, or with the Prophets.

“The offering of sacrifice has ever been connected and forms a part of the duties of the Priesthood. It began with the Priesthood, and will be continued until after the coming of Christ, from generation to generation. …

“These sacrifices, as well as every ordinance belonging to the Priesthood, will, when the Temple of the Lord shall be built, and the sons of Levi be purified, be fully restored and attended to in all their powers, ramifications, and blessings. This ever did and ever will exist when the powers of the Melchizedek Priesthood are sufficiently manifest; else how can the restitution of all things spoken of by the Holy Prophets be brought to pass. It is not to be understood that the law of Moses will be established again with all its rites and variety of ceremonies; this has never been spoken of by the prophets; but those things which existed prior to Moses’ day, namely, sacrifice, will be continued.” (Teachings, pp. 172–73.)

President Joseph Fielding Smith further explained that “we are living in the dispensation of the fulness of times into which all things are to be gathered, and all things are to be restored since the beginning. Even this earth is to be restored to the condition which prevailed before Adam’s transgression. Now in the nature of things, the law of sacrifice will have to be restored, or all things which were decreed by the Lord would not be restored. It will be necessary, therefore, for the sons of Levi, who offered the blood sacrifices anciently in Israel, to offer such a sacrifice again to round out and complete this ordinance in this dispensation. Sacrifice by the shedding of blood was instituted in the days of Adam and of necessity will have to be restored.

“The sacrifice of animals will be done to complete the restoration when the temple spoken of is built; at the beginning of the millennium, or in the restoration, blood sacrifices will be performed long enough to complete the fulness of the restoration in this dispensation. Afterwards sacrifice will be of some other character.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 3:94.)

Notes and Commentary for Doctrine and Covenants 128:24 contains additional insights into what else might be included in the offering of the sons of Levi.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: September 19, 2018 08:55PM

Animal sacrifices were Old Testament. Christ bring crucified ended the law of the Old Testament, furthermore, animal sacrifices were in SIMILITUDE of His sacrifice. I call BS.
But, I’m an atheist now so what do I know.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 09:49AM

gettinreal Wrote:
> Animal sacrifices were Old Testament. Christ
> bring crucified ended the law of the Old
> Testament...

You know, I've always wondered why that's the "christian standard" explanation. Especially given Matt. 5:

(18) For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

(19) Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I've read many of the bible "study guides" that try and explain the apparent contradiction. They're not very satisfying as explanations go.

What's your take?

(fyi, this should in no way be taken as support of animal sacrifices, or mormons bringing them back)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 12:16AM

There are reports from Joseph Sniff's youth that while treasure hunting he would suggest that an animal sacrifice be made so as to calm the spirits that were moving the treasure his seer stone had found. It seems he got people to believe that it wasn't his seer stone that was screwed up, but rather spirits were moving the gold/silver/T-notes...

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 12:29AM

Look up the "red heifer prophecy". My guess is that the guy was referring to that. That is very Old Testament based, though. Supposedly, the elimination of animal sacrifice by Jeheesus was a permanent thing under New Testament beliefs.

But many religious types even in the Christian system seem to like the Old Testament better. (Probably because it justifies so much more in the way of murder, mayhem, theft and vengeance.)

The idea that a red heifer has to be sacrificed in order for the temple in Jerusalem to be fully restored, is actually a thing among some groups in Israel. For Christians obsessed with the "end times" the restoration of the temple is a prerequisite. It has to happen before Jeheezus comes back. Therefore...red heifers need to be very concerned. Ordinarily being a perfect physical specimen is a great thing. But if you're a red heifer, you'll be wanting to have some flaws...maybe some warts, a big black spot on your butt. And if you're a perfect red heifer and nobody's noticed yet....you might want to head over to the nearest tattoo parlor as soon as you get a chance. "I really like Baal" would be a good tattoo to get.

Date: September 20, 2018 12:35AM

I'm an animal and I don't want to be sacrificed to some fake god.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 12:41AM

How about if I were to introduce you to a real goddess?

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 12:53AM

I have heard the sacrificing of animals coming back a couple times.

Posted by: motherkate ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 01:05AM

This got brought up a LOT at church and in seminary. There are some other Christian groups that believe something similar but obviously not the part about the sacrifices happening in LDS temples. I thought this was official church doctrine, is it not?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 01:26AM

Is anything REALLY "official church doctrine" in the LDS church?

Seriously, it was official doctrine although they may now want to hide that fact somewhere out of the way.

Perhaps on the far side of Kolob or under the polar ice caps with the Lost Tribes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2018 01:27AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 02:06AM

If you could use a time machine and pluck half a congregation from the present time and half from about 90 years ago and then put them in the same Ward, crazy hilarity would ensue I'm absolutely certain. They would think that they were from completely incompatible faiths.

Sure there would be some similarities, but even more differences (it would be even worse if you went back 140 years for half the congregation instead of only 80 years.)

Comparing notes between them would go something like this:

Joseph Smith was a prophet? check.

Black people can have the priesthood? What? When?

Cain is alive and wandering around in North America? What? Who?

Lamanites. Are they white and delightsome yet? Huh? What happened?

[Later that night when Ward members go to the temple] Hey! This is wrong! It's all wrong! You forgot the part with the penalties! C'mon! You don't do the throat slashing and disembowelment gestures?? What kind of rip-off apostate temple is this?? What? When do I get to knock knees together with the mystery man behind the fail doing the Five Points of Fellowship embrace? Sheesh! You guys have really lost your way. This isn't the Church that Joe built.

The list could go on forever.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 11:25PM

Next on the list. . .

"Shit, this is crazy. I gotta go home and tell my wives!"

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 12:32AM

"Why are all your women and girls dressed more shamelessly than the whores in Denver or San Francisco? And wearing MAKEUP?"

Mrs. Curelom Joe and I have often laughed about how any revived Saint from back in Brigham's day, would react to even the modest-is-hottest outfits in any given Relief Society meeting today.

Date: September 20, 2018 01:23AM

Thank you guys.

I question my recollections these days, and wonder if my memories of Mormonism were just fevered dreams brought on by some exotic spider bite.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 11:24AM

No fevered dream can be as crazy as actual Mormon doctrine.

Posted by: More Info reveals More CRAZINE ( )
Date: September 20, 2018 01:47AM

That's the Real Story of Mormonism.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 12:22AM

Still taught. Behold, by "scholar" Larry Barkdull (apparantly he wrote a whole book about it). Source: https://ldsmag.com/article-1-12356/

When Jesus appeared to the Nephites, he insisted that they include in their scriptures the writings of Malachi, which contain a powerful latter-day prophecy concerning the sons of Levi.

And he [Jesus Christ] shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.[i]

This prophecy seems to indicate that the righteous offering is not possible unless the Lord leads the sons of Levi through a purifying furnace to remove from them contaminants with the result being a fundamental change and a new reason for being.

When John the Baptist appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdrey along the bank of the Susquehanna River, he connected his restoring the Aaronic Priesthood with the offering that was to be made by the sons of Levi: “…and this [Aaronic Priesthood] shall never be taken again from the earth, until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering in righteousness.”[ii]

By John the Baptist’s connecting the restoration of the priesthood with the righteous offering, we begin to see that the offering is not merely something that is to be done by men of a certain bloodline, but rather a priesthood duty.

What is the authority of the Aaronic Priesthood? In the Lord’s words, Aaronic Priesthood authority is to hold “the key of the ministering of angel and the preparatory gospel; which gospel is the gospel of repentance and baptism, and remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments.”[iii]

Anciently, the Aaronic Priesthood was presided over by Aaron’s sons, who were Levites, and collectively, the sons of Aaron and the sons of Levi administered the covenants and ordinances of the preparatory gospel of repentance to the family of Israel. Included in their priesthood duties was offering animal sacrifices on the altar of the temple in similitude of the sacrifice of the Lamb of God.

Quoting Joseph Smith, Elder Bruce R. McConkie states that in the last days, the literal bloodline of Levi will accept the restored gospel, receive ordination to the priesthood, and once again “offer their traditional sacrifices to the Lord as part of the restoration of all things.”[iv]

But there is more. The terms, “sons of Levi” and “an offering in righteousness,” have additional definitions. When Joseph Smith received a revelation on the priesthood that became Doctrine and Covenants 84, he learned that the sons of Aaron [Levi] and the sons of Moses refer to latter-day Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthood holders, respectively. Significantly, the revelation states that both of these sets of “sons” are to offer a righteous offering.

Therefore, as I said concerning the sons of Moses-for the sons of Moses and also of Aaron [Levi] shall offer an acceptable offering and sacrifice in the house of the Lord, which house shall be built unto the Lord in this generation, upon the consecrated spot as I have appointed.[v]

That “consecrated spot” is revealed in Doctrine and Covenants 57: “Behold, the place which is now called Independence is the center place; and a spot for the temple is lying westward, upon a lot which is not far from the courthouse.”[vi] Notice how the sons of Aaron and Moses and their offering now find a home in the temple.

The revelation of the priesthood concurs. A cloud shall rest upon the temple, “which cloud shall be even the glory of the Lord, which shall fill the house.” And the glory of the Lord shall also be upon “the sons of Moses!”[vii]

Why might the glory of the Lord rest upon these priesthood holders? One reason could be because of their righteous offering. We recall that the Lord had just told us that the “sons of Moses and of Aaron [Levi] shall offer an acceptable offering and sacrifice in the house of the Lord.”[viii] And then, if we were ever in doubt about their identity, the Lord specifically states, “And the sons of Moses and of Aaron shall be filled with the glory of the Lord upon Mount Zion in the Lord’s house, whose sons ye are.”[ix]

We are the sons of Moses and of Aaron who are to offer an offering in righteousness!

We note with interest that this information prefaces the oath and covenant of the priesthood as though the Lord wants us to understand that the offering of the sons of Levi and of Moses is central to their priesthood covenant. But what is the offering that we must make?

That offering was revealed to the Prophet some ten years after the revelation on the priesthood in 1842. In this revelation, the Lord brings together all the ancient and modern prophecies of the glory of latter-day priesthood holders and their offering.

Behold, the great day of the Lord is at hand; and who can abide the day of his coming, and who shall stand when he appeareth? For he is like a refiner’s fire, and like fuller’s soap; and he shall sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver, and he shall purify the sons of Levi, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness. Let us, therefore, as a church and a people, and as Latter-day Saints, offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness; and let us present in his holy temple, when it is finished, a book containing the records of our dead, which shall be worthy of all acceptation.[x]

Clearly, our offering in righteousness, which is central to the oath and covenant of the priesthood, which is central to the coming of John the Baptist and the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood, which is central to the building of the temple in New Jerusalem, which is central to the glory that shall fill the sons of Aaron and Moses upon Mount Zion – our prophesied offering is our family history.

As we serve in holy temples for our deceased ancestors, we become saviors on Mount Zion. The sacrifices that we offer in the temple through our serving there is part of our “offering in righteousness,” which the sons of Aaron [Levi] and the sons of Moses will present to the Lord at his coming. If the Saints fail to make this offering, said the Prophet Joseph Smith, it is “at the peril of their own salvation.”[xi]

Listen to the words of other prophets.

“I would invite you to read carefully in the sections in the Doctrine & Covenants that focus on this sacred responsibility and the language that says you are to perform these ordinances for not the’ dead, but your’ dead.”[xii]

“The Lord has not given me the responsibility to save your family, but he has given me the responsibility of saving my own family.

My own family will be the unit through which I may obtain exaltation and continuation of the seeds.

“[xiii]
“There are some members who engage in temple work but fail to do family history research on their own family lines. Although they perform a divine service in assisting others, they lose a blessing by not seeking their own kindred dead as divinely directed by latter-day prophets….I have learned that those who engage in family history research and then perform the temple ordinance work for those whose names they have found will know the additional joy of receiving both halves of the blessing.”[xiv]

“These are trying days, in which Satan rages, at home and abroad, hard days, evil and ugly days. We stand helpless as it seems before them. We need help. We need strength. We need guidance. Perhaps if we would do our work in behalf of those of the unseen world who hunger and pray for the work we can do for them, the unseen world would in return give us help in the day of our urgent need. There are more in that other world than there are here. There is more power and strength there than we have here upon this earth. We have but a trifle, and that trifle is taken from the immeasurable power of God. We shall make no mistake in becoming collaborators in the Lord’s mighty work for human redemption.”[xv]

“Brother Widtsoe reaffirmed that “those who give themselves with all their might and mind to this work [genealogical work] receive help from the other side. Whoever seeks to help those in the other side receives help in return in all the affairs of life.”[xvi]

“Man was not given a choice to do this work when and if he has time, but the work was given as an obligation to be filled.”[xvii]

“This [performing vicarious ordinances for our dead in the temple] is the great work of the dispensation of the fullness of times, by which the hearts of the fathers are turned to the children and the hearts of the children are turned to the fathers.”[xviii]

In this busy life, we are wont to push off family history to Aunt Gladys, the family genealogist, who in her golden years, has both the knack and the time. But the scriptures and the prophets do not support that way of thinking. The responsibility is laid squarely on every son of Aaron and of Moses who receives the priesthood in the last days. This priesthood duty belongs to the dispensation of the fullness of times. And sisters are not exempted, for the revelation states that the obligation of making the offering rests upon each of us “as a church and a people, and as Latter-day Saints.”[xix]

Let us rise to the glory of our calling and bless those who are depending on us. In the words of Joseph Smith, “The greatest responsibility in this world that God has laid upon us is to seek after our dead.”[xx]

i] 3 Nephi 24:3.

[ii] D&C 13:1.

[iii] D&C 84:26-27.

[iv] Mormon Doctrine, “Levites,” 440, quoting The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 172-73.

[v] D&C 84:31.

[vi] D&C 57:3.

[vii] D&C 84″4-6.

[viii] D&C 84:31.

[ix] D&C 84:32.

[x] D&C 128:24.

[xi] The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 193, 356.

[xii] David A. Bednar, Springfield videos, 2011.

[xiii] Howard W. Hunter, General Priesthood General Conference, Sept. 30, 1966.

[xiv] Howard W. Hunter, First Presidency Message, Ensign Feb. 1995.

[xv] John A. Widtsoe, “Worth of Souls,”131.

[xvi] Boyd K. Packer, The Holy Temple, 252.

[xvii] Howard W. Hunter, Regional Representatives Seminar Address, Sept. 27, 1967.

[xviii] Howard W. Hunter, Conference Report, Oct. 1, 1971, 51-55.

[xix] D&C 128:24.

[xx] The Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 356.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 12:24AM

A couple of years ago, I encountered some writings online where Joseph Smith in his treasure hunting suggested that a human Black female be sacrificed. Then he said that a black bitch (female dog) could be substituted for the human Black female. I was horrified and never kept the link. Has anyone else come across this?

I joined a church whose founder once taught human sacrifice?

Oh, right. Joseph Smith wasn't perfect; he spoke as a man in that instance.

Date: September 22, 2018 10:14AM

Per Will Bagley, in his book, "Blood of The Prophets," the original blueprints for the Salt Lake Temple showed a human-sacrifice room and very large furnace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2018 10:15AM by kathleen.

Posted by: Who Needs Footnotes? ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 04:46PM

Full citation or link to page, please.

Date: September 25, 2018 08:31PM

I hadn't heard this before, but considering the source why not?

Ugh.

Posted by: franklight ( )
Date: September 21, 2018 12:26AM

I heard alot of craziness in church from leaders. One told me that only prophets or martyrs in the mormonchurch can come to the highest level in the celestial kingdom..One other told me that the priesthood only shall be used for members in church. Teachings that are so far away from what Jesus taught in the Bible..

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 05:36PM

People are animals

Date: September 26, 2018 06:31PM

LDS Corp have sacrificed many of those.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 07:58PM

I was taught that, too, so it seems to be LDS doctrine.

Date: September 25, 2018 08:47PM

Christian theologians teach that blood sacrifice ended with the New Testament. Christ was the ultimate blood sacrifice. It would be blasphemous for Mormon teachers to preach otherwise as Christianity.

"[T]he blood sacrifices of the Old Testament also foreshadowed the coming of Jesus and His death upon the cross. The blood of Jesus was poured out as a sacrifice for the sins of people. This one-time sacrifice became the completion of the law and marked a new covenant for those who would believe in His name.

Before the death of Christ, the Jewish law required regular blood sacrifice offerings on behalf of sins. Hebrews 10:11-12 shares that this need changed with the shed blood of Christ: "And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God." Christ's sacrifice was now sufficient and no further blood sacrifice is necessary."

https://www.compellingtruth.org/blood-sacrifice.html

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 10:54PM

REAL Christianity teaches that Jesus came to fulfill the Law of Moses which mean that old stuff is done away with as Jesus is supposed to be the ULTIMATE sacrifice ........so leave it to MORmONS to say that all that old stuff must be reintroduced before Jesus can come back.

That totally makes sense ......to (DUMB ASS) MORmONS!!!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.