Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: timney ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 06:41PM

Here's a link to a guy, similar to Joseph Smith, but in our time. This is how it should have gone down:

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/crime/2018/10/10/nixa-crime-illegal-circumcision-teens-polygamy-sister-wife-telemarketing-scam/1538578002/

If only history would have been different...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 08:41PM

Makes me dizzy to think of such a thing.

I ... i... better ... go lie down ...

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 09:27PM

What a stupid pastor. The New Testament explicitly states that circumcisions are no longer necessary. Like Joseph, he wants to drag the Old Testament laws back into the modern world.

My life would have been spared decades of misery had Joseph gone down early in the game, before he got so much hero worship.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 10:23PM

IRL, it was the Best exit for ChurchCo for Joe to die the way he did, "martyr" & all.

If that hadn't happened, he might have been proven a fraud...

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 10:50PM

and especially for the Brigham Young gang. It does kind of make you wonder if some of Joseph Smith's "friends" and "colleagues" on the inside helped ensure that the martyrdom would happen.

Quite a convenient thing that all of the Smiths who could have taken over after Joseph Smith all died around the same time--Hyrum right alongside JS and then Samuel not long after (after being "cared for" by Hosea Stout, Briggy's attack dog).

Of course, after Joe and Hy were done away with, Sam obviously had to go because he was opposed to polygamy.

One thing I'm sure of is that we only know a fraction of the intrigue and skulduggery of those guys. Just ponder the fact that they were all members of a secret club, with secret handshakes, secret "new names" and took bloody oaths of secrecy to protect their secrets. Is it too much of a stretch to think that Brigham "Blood Atonement" Young and his henchmen took those things seriously?

Brigham and several of the others were also proud Freemasons. So they were members of at least two different secret societies. Who knows what was said and done behind closed doors and in dark wooded areas after the Nauvoo Expositor published its expose on the polygamy club?

Was there concern among other members of the club after Joe was arrested for destroying the Nauvoo Expositor that he may end up being a chatty Cathy, revealing all their secrets?

Did Brigham and Heber, et al, worry that Joe would try to save his own position by coming up with a new "revelation" to cancel polygamy and throw the rest of the club members under the bus (kind of in the way that Wilford Woodruff did about 60 years later)?

Posted by: AlanXL ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 02:04AM

That's good Wallace, I have never fully realised that the Smiths all died at about the same time.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 10:37PM

Did the pastor believe his claims? If so, that is one major difference between him and JS.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 11:47PM

Yet another fake "pastor" committing crimes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.