Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 02:20PM

If you're about correcting Hinckley's mistakes, how about-

Reversing the earring thing; only one small pair?

Allow facial hair (Men AND Women, ha ha); tattoos: OK!

Oh, I have more suggestions, not embarrass you:

IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS FOR THE LDS CHURCH:

1. Take immediate steps to end the judgmental nature that is this too common in the LDS church. This includes actively, effectively discouraging the tattle-tale conduct.

2. Make the gospel about Right Living, not making us (leaders, members) ‘right’.

3. Don’t waste time (leaders & members) with trivial matters that really don’t change anyone… wink wink!

4. End the legalistic views of situations. Take an ethical – moral view.

5. Stop taking attendance, it helps no one + it’s a distraction from people giving & trying to listen to talks. Taking attendance sends the wrong signal, it’s tacky.

6. Get ‘back’ to the essentials of Christ-Like living: Starting with Love for God & Neighbor. Develop lessons & talks around ways to invoke those with Honesty & Kindness, Charity-?Compassion, Empathy, etc.

7. I’ve heard the church brag about the charity, but this charity is 100% funded by the individuals, isn’t it? If U want to make those resources Genuine charity, stop making them contingent on conformity/compliance. Consider just gifting a good % of church revenue to some third-party such as Salvation Army, Red Cross, or other to decide who benefits. Now it looks like a carrot/stick, dog & pony situation.

8. Provide a path for women to attain leadership positions for the good of all; the church obviously needs their input on decisions, the women will benefit from recognition & growth. Now you’re wasting their value as individuals which is demeaning to the women &damaging the church.

9. Stop diluting doctrine. Come clean with church history, even the embarrassing parts, they serve no one. Focus on Right & Wrong, how mistakes should be resolved (Repentance & Forgiving)

10. Mandate that reports of crimes be reported to police. Publicize that civil authorities will be notified of ALL reports of crimes, including sexual abuses.

11. Make your actions consistent with your statements, regarding everything, especially divorce & families. Explicitly teach & practice, 100%, that families come First, yes, ahead of church.

12. Make church callings more about service, less about pride. Abolish all privileges that have become customary for ‘Mormon Royalty’.

13. Complete transparency of finances: Salaries/income, revenue, expenses & contracts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 02:43PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 03:22PM

In other words, do like Sid (Siddhartha Gautama) and get out of your ivory tower and enlighten and enlarge the souls of people.

Not going to happen. Labels and jewelry are more important.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 05:22PM

I don’t see enlightenment in eyes as dark as coal.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 08:19AM

They take attendance now? They really are a cult.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 09:03AM

They have been taking attendance since the beginning.

It helps them organizational and administrative matters. Nothing sinister about it.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 11:25AM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have been taking attendance since the
> beginning.
>
> It helps them organizational and administrative
> matters. Nothing sinister about it.

It's a bit sinister IMO.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 09:10AM

I heard they were going to stop taking attendance and just install time clocks with finger print readers.

Posted by: maddy ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 12:45AM

yes, they have always counted.....my husband calls the guy walking around and counting "the headhunter".....

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 12:58PM

Of course they take attendance. That way they can say to you in a bish interview, or while accosted in the hallway, or otherwise, "it seems that you've had low attendance lately...you've got some 'splaining to do!"

One of the many things I couldn't stand was the constant keeping of tabs on everyone. Everyone knew if someone wasn't there. I've never really been to any other churches, but I'm guessing you could just show up, participate in the service, and go home. Nobody will start harassing or stalking you.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 05:06PM

IDK how the individual part of it is done other that roles of each class;

the clerk walking around is a count without names, I believe...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.