Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: turdfondue ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 07:49PM

OK- so I am taking a trip down memory lane and thinking of all the cringe-worthy nonsense and shenanigans I participated in at Ricks in the mid 90's and then BYU in the late 90's. I wanna hear you all's stories of embarrassing/ cringe-worthy, funny, or just outright silly stuff you were involved in or witnessed at Ricks. Pile them on people, I need a good laugh. For context I lived in Rigby Hall, 1st North wing during winter semester 1994, and then dorm 1 for the spring term of 1994. I lived off campus in the Chapparal Apts. for Fall 1996 and winter 1997 until I transferred to BYU.And let me tell ya kids- I saw some s**t!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 08:26PM

there was a group of 'ladies' / women / girls "working their way thru" in the mid-60's, out of off-campus housing "Queen's Row" which of course was artfully branded as 'Stud's Row' ...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 08:42PM

Damn!....how did I miss that?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 09:03PM

Could U afford 'a visit', Ron?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 11:01AM

Back then...uh...no....lol

Posted by: Ricks surviver ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 02:29AM

Here are some of my Ricks College memories:

I was there in 1980 - 1981. I hated it. Some of the rowdy male students panty raided our apartment. We got them back by breaking into their apartment and causing as much damage as possible, including ripping all labels off of their canned goods so they had no idea what they were about to eat before opening a can; it was always a surprise, lol.

I drove around with my roommate in her Mazda RX-7 while she blasted AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" on her cassette tape. That turned a few heads!

I was a California girl. The preppy look was in and top sider shoes, which were very slick on the bottom, were the cool shoe to wear. I sure looked like an idiot slipping on the ice everywhere I went!

As I mentioned on another thread, I was placed on probation for two weeks for having guys in the living room after hours. We were just talking - nothing else. The landlord pounded on our door like the gestapo at 1 AM and accused me and my roomies of not being "intact." I thought I'd be kicked out of school but instead I had to be IN MY BED by 10 PM every night for two weeks. And yes, an authority figure from Ricks actually walked into my bedroom every night to make sure I was in bed. Unbelievable. I was 19 years old.

My Geology teacher, when giving a lecture about volcanoes, told the class that a virgin couldn't be found in California to throw into a volcano to appease the gods. Of course all California girls were sluts.

My roommates, who were desperate to meet guys, placed a sign outside our apartment offering cookies to any guy who would come inside. I could have died with embarrassment.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 03:07AM

When I turned nineteen, my father said Rick's or a mission. Those were my only choices. So I joined the Army. I'm glad I did.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 03:20AM

my brother said it was known as "Hick's college" when he was young.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 09:56AM

I was there just as it had transitioned to BYU-Idaho for two semesters.

Even though it was restrictive, I had just been on a mission so it felt liberated by comparison. But yes, the curfew was enforced with rigidity.

I liked the smaller college atmosphere. I would run into people I knew regularly, which was nice.

My roommates and I arranged a silly group date that involved eating a formal dinner in a big elevator in the music building (think the one's used to ferry pianos).

One of the women in my ward's family lived nearby and had snowmobiles that we rode on their farm. That was fun.

Burgers at Big Judds was a must.

The weather was crazy bad. I remember one evening the wind got so high during a soccer game that you would kick the ball in the air and it would hit a wall of wind and cease to go forward. The snow and ice were crazy--especially because the city couldn't salt the roads, because it would damage the crops.

My testimony was still in fairly "good" shape at this point, but I developed some shelf items. I accidentally came across a news article about the 1990 changes to the temple ceremony. I didn't know what to make of it, but it's something that I remembered when I started digging into things in earnest. I also remember starting a paper on the Anton transcript, but not finishing, because my findings were...er...not faith promoting.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 16, 2018 11:16AM

I was at Ricks in the early 70s. It was truly one of the best years of my life. Ignorance really can be bliss. I lived in the dorms, had really fun roomies, had some great classes (I still stand by that) and just had fun being away from home for the first time. The only bad thing was my father harassing me about whether or not I was dating every time he'd call me. He didn't care if I flunked all my classes, his money was his deposit on getting me pawned off on a husband and he wanted to know how his investment was doing.

So the most depressing thing was when they'd have a ring passing ceremony. I remember it had an official name for the ritual, just can't remember what it was. There weren't an awful lot of engagements because it was a 2-year college and the majority of males were freshmen waiting to go on their missions. Some of the sophomores were RMs. But back then, being an RM automatically got you into BYU, so that also limited them at Ricks. So getting engaged to an RM was a real prize and it was the beauty queen Mollies who got them.

So when there was an engagement, a sign would go up in the dorm that there was a passing ceremony that night. Everyone would crowd into a common room and the ring would be attached to a flower bouquet and I think there was a lit candle on it. It would go around a time or two and then everyone would be waiting on pins and needles to see who blew it out (the engaged girl). Most of the time you pretty much knew who it must be, but we all squealed with delight and hugged them while wanting secretly to stick their face in the mud and put a knife in their backs. We were so jealous.

I'd give anything now to have a 40+ year reunion and see all those girls who wanted nothing more than to get married and have babies. Or like me, thought that was what we wanted--just wanted to please God and the parents. It's sad how so many of them gave up getting an education and how little emphasis was placed on it for girls. And I wonder how many, like me, had to go back later in life and get a degree. It sure was a different world tucked away in the fairy tale land of Rexburg.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.