Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 01:14AM

Many years ago in my ward in NoCal, a member came up with a foolproof investment "strategy". He had convinced a great many people (all of them fellow Mormons, AFAIK) to give him money to construct a coke-making machine, because all the coke mines in the world were running dry and so all the world's steel mills would be desperate (coke is used to make steel) and would pay through the nose to get more (inadvertent pun). Our bishop was one of the "investors", and he tried to get my father to join up. That was a bit of a mistake, because my father had spent many years at the Geneva steel mill in Utah, and knew for a fact that there is no such thing as a coke mine, and that every steel mill in the world makes their own coke directly from coal, which is hardly a rare commodity. Our bishop- and several other good God-fearing souls- never thought of that. This was in the mid 70s. Can you say "affinity fraud"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 02:27AM

excited about one new "investment opportunity" after another, I've almost developed a sixth sense about it. Even before they open their mouth to speak about it for the first time, I can see the deranged look in their eyes that tells me: "Okay, brace yourself. Here it comes! The once-in-a-lifetime investment opportunity that will free me up to spend the rest of my life doing things that I love, doing things that really matter, spending time with family and friends, doing church work if I ever come back to the fold and...blah, blah, frickin' blah..."

To be polite, I ask for the details. EVERY FREAKIN'TIME, it turns out to be something ridiculous and transparently fraudulent. The concept of due diligence in investigating proposed investments PRIOR to investing seems to be a totally foreign or even evil concept to them. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, their whole faith/belief system is based on the notion that you should make huge decisions based on how it makes you feel because...well...that warm feeling that you get that makes you feel exhilarated and excited...well...that's the Holy Ghost tellin' ya that it's true.

Don't pay attention to facts and reliance upon human reasoning. Those kinds of things would lead you to think that just because Joseph Smith was a failed treasure hunter who had trouble with the law for fraud related to the use of a peepstone may have some connection to the reliability of his story about using a peepstone to translate an ancient record that only he could see. And that would not be consistent with the truth revealed by feelings received from the Holy Ghost.

Sorry...but no. You invest all you want. I don't think it's a good idea, but I'm a dirty apostate, so....

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 10:15AM

"Coke mines" made me laugh because I used to work at Geneva Steel.
They don't call me "the man of steel" for nothing !

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 04:02PM

Joseph, where you been? I thought you died in 1953!

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 11:55AM

Should have marketed it at BYU and told them the Coke Mines were so they could get Caffeinated Coke at the School.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 03:33PM

I once had an AMWAY enthusiasts tell me I'd make so much money I could fund a mormon temple in town.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 04:03PM

Did it work?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.