Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 01:22AM

Joseph Smith?

I know it will be an unpopular opinion around these here parts, but I think J.R.R. Tolkien did a much better job.

With Joseph Smith, it's too easy that he's just straining his brain to come up with new names. Some are obviously ripped off from the Bible. Some are obvious examples of Joseph Smith playing around with names of people and places he knew around him.

There are a whole bunch of "Oli___" this and "Oli___" that and I'd bet that they're just riffs on Oliver.

Others just look like he took some random syllable and tried to milk it for as many variations as he could think of, like the following series:

Limhah
Limher
Limhi
Land of Limnah...

I could easily add several with less than 10 minutes of thought. Here are just a few off the top of my head:

Limgash
Limnihah
Limgish on Onan
Limtiklish
Limburger
Limpihah
Limpendiken
Limehahmagaritihah

HERE'S Joseph Smith's "AM" series of made-up names:

Amaleki
Amalekites
Amalickiah
Amalickiahites
Amaron
Amgid
Aminadab
Aminadi
Amlici
Amlicites
Ammah
Ammaron
Ammon
Ammonihah, City of
Ammonihah, Land of
Ammonihahites
Ammonites
Ammoron
Amnigaddah
Amnihu
Amnor [money]
Amnor [spy]
Amoron
Amulek
Amulon
Amulon, Land of
Amulonites

My favorite is "Amoron".

"Hi, I'm Amoron! Who are you? Are you Amoron too?"

Is anyone here impressed with Joseph Smith's made-up names? Most Mormons seem to be so impressed that they seem to think that no human could make up so many names without divine assistance.

What could you do with the "Am" prefix? Could you make up any names better than Joseph Smith done done it so good?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 05, 2018 01:38AM

seem to provide an insight into what else was on his mind.

Some are a bit suggestive and lewd.

For example, at the conscious level he came up with Amalickiah --> coming from the subconscious "Imalickya all over". A possible window into the soul of a prophet?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 02:30AM

Teancum
was Joe thinking about relaxing with a hot drink after a tryst in the barn with Fanny?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 04:56PM

Te An kum was the name of an indian village in Northwest Pennsyvlania in the 1700s. An interesting source of mormon names are Maps of the Northern Appalachian regions from the 1700s.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 02:24AM

He also seemed to like adding -hah or -ah to other words

Amalickiah
Ammah
Amnigaddah (da vida?)
Antionah
Cumenihah
Giddonah (two of them!)
Gidgiddonah
Gilgah
Limhah
Mahah
Mathonihah
Moronihah (2 of them as well)
Mosiah
Nephihah
Nimrah
Orihah
Zedekiah
Zerahemnah

Then there are things like
Aha and Ahah
Corihor and Korihor as well as Cohor
Corianton, Coriantor, Coriantum (2), and Coriantumr (2)
Esrom and Emron - was he the supplier of energy to the Nephites?
Ethem and Ether
Kish, Kumen, and Kishkumen
Omer and Omner and Emer
Cezoram and Seezoram and 3 Zorams and a Zeram as well as a Zeezrom
Shiblom and Shiblon
Shem, Shemnon, and Sherem
Zerahemnah and Zarahemla.
which are just variations on a theme

And the ones that are just weird
Shiz (not to be confused with Shez)

Joe wasn't really all that creative.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 02:44AM

'Limpendiken'

I thought my doctors records were confidential.

Too funny!

Date: November 07, 2018 01:03AM

for his failure to abide by the Lord's commandments concerning the small blue nodules of the manna of the new covenant, saying unto Limpendiken: "For did I not call upon you to partake of the blue nodules of manna, a gift I bestowed for your benefit, whereby thy loins and posterity would be blessed, and yet have you steadfastly refused. For the last time I call upon you to partake of that which I have given you with a promise that in your obedience your calling and erection shall be made certain, as you cling to the iron rod, and you will thenceforth be known by a new name, yea, even Ziffendiken."

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 06:44PM

I vaguely remember a series of books by Pat Bagley (any relation to Don Bagley?) my parents bought for us growing up, which were basically riffs on "Where's Waldo" with the central character a Nephite and in BoM settings. Anyone else remember those? It sticks in my mind that there was some play on the "-hah" ending, like his Lamanite pal or dog or something was named something-hah.

Edit: Looked it up; it was Norman the Nephite and his dog, Rover-hah. I wonder if he was deliberately making fun of JS.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 04:21AM

Funny you should ask, I just finished re-reading The LOTR. Smith was MUCH better at names, JRR had better characterizations and plot, based—undoubtedly—by incorporating many myths. Frodo’s Boner.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 09:23AM

The sun needs a name and it does shine hah!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 09:45AM

Many of the "unusual" names Joseph Smith used were directly lifted from the Bible.

Tolkien was, amongst other things, a philologist, meaning he was an expert in the study of language in oral and written historical sources.

Of course he would be better at making up names.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 05, 2018 09:48AM

My vote goes to Tolkien. He also made up languages and maps in addition to names.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 05:33PM

valkyriequeen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My vote goes to Tolkien. He also made up languages
> and maps in addition to names.

But of course! Tolkien was from my home city of Birmingham, England and the vast majority the features in his novels were based on Birmingham and its environs.

My aunt and uncle lived by the original twin towers.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 02:22PM

"I know it will be an unpopular opinion around these here parts, but I think J.R.R. Tolkien did a much better job."

Why in the world would you think that would be an unpopular opinion? I think it would be extremely popular, especially in these here parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 02:23PM by fossilman.

Date: November 07, 2018 01:08AM

to highlight the fact that generally outsiders (non-Mormons) are not impressed at all by the made-up names in the Book of Mormon.

For example, it appears that Joseph Smith was psychologically impacted by the names of two men in his real life, i.e. a guy named "Lemuel" to whom the Smith family had to pay rent and a guy named "Luman" a guy who dabbled in the occult and apparently had some influence on Joseph Smith. Many names in the Book of Mormon are apparently just variations derived from those names.

While the whole "am"+ "mor" series seem to be derived from Joseph Smith's fascination with williAM MORgan, the guy who was at the center of a huge political controversy in 1826 in Joseph Smith's area.

Posted by: anonme ( )
Date: November 06, 2018 02:52PM

Tolkein didn't make up all of his names. The dwarfs names were all taken from a different source. I think from one of the myths he used.

But Tolkein's the best, of course.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: November 09, 2018 06:15PM

A few months ago, as a mental exercise, I tried thinking up names for stories I have yet to write. I had some ideas for gritty crime stories and wanted names no one was likely to have so I wouldn't need to worry about defaming anyone. I came up with over 150 names in a couple of hours. Some samples:

Juanda Flagg
Üla Beyford
Vica Corless
Jewella Moffas
Nemur Ramēs
Suggs Bajada
Pants Nolina
Yoshi Kemblemann
Massimo Wormser
Skippy Schoenbrunn
Noah Chubasco
Sylviania Ropis
Roscoe Ping
Leander Absaroka
Carla Sutekh

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.