Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 02:57PM

Interesting read by Professor/Author of Mormons and musicals. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by a racist DOOMsDay Saints, celebrating their whiteness, when the word "White" is always associated with positive things, like, virginity. Delicious, delightsome, righteousness.
And Black has always been associated with hateful things like loathsome, cursed, and forsaken.
Who knew the Book of MORmONs was the most book in the most racist Cult outside of Southern UT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2018 02:58PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogbogger ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 04:58PM

Interesting theory. I don't think he supported it particularly strongly.

Posted by: alivenow ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 05:04PM

So, we have this pageant in our county every year. The 'church' came out and said that they will support it one more year and then, the locals will have to make it happen if at all or ever. Can you smell money? Going away soon. But, what the crap. They just opened another temple in Chile. Got gold teeth? Someone need them to keep it all going.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 11, 2018 07:09PM

Interesting theory.

Also funny that with musicals like 'Hamilton', the "whiteness" is kind of a thing of the past. I just did productions of 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame', and 'Mary Poppins' and they were both rather panchromatic.

Methinks Oklahoma City University my be a bit behind the curve...

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 01:29PM

I agree it's an interesting theory, but I also don't think he supported it very strongly at all. "The Church" didn't end the pageants suddenly, remember--it happened half a year after the ascension of Russell Nelson, amid a wave of similar, and similarly-unexpected, reforms. This is clearly his doing, not some cultural response of the church as a whole, same as the name thing is clearly his doing and not some large-scale wave of Mormon sentiment. So, to analyze the reasons for it, you have to look at Nelson personally and HIS reasons for ending the pageants. I don't know what those are, but as a 93-year-old man who has surrounded himself with fundamentalist counselors, I doubt it's because he had a come-to-Jesus moment on racial strife in America or worldwide and Mormonism's place in it.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 12, 2018 01:48PM

Damage control from the South Park torpedo. The Book of Mormon musical was a hugely successful mockery of the Mormon church and really kind of ruined all the mainstreaming public relations efforts Gordon B. Hinckley attempted.

Since the Book of Mormon musical mimics the style of stage performance you see in church pageants, management has decided to nix them. They are making fun of it so why have it?

The church right now is obsessed with it's public image. It wants to be accepted as a mainstream church. The timing couldn't be worse. Christianity and organized religion are a dying trend and until the LDS church divorces itself from Joseph Smith and Brigham Young it's never going to be mainstream.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.