Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 03:01PM

I heard this on the radio a few days ago that permission was granted to make a new bible translation just for mormons. This one is suppose to be "sensitive to later day saints beliefs and practices" (whatever that means?)

No lip service to McConkie or any church leaders but to actual BYU scholars who actually might know a little Greek. What do ya think, could this new book be halfway decent?

https://rsc.byu.edu/upcoming-recent-books/new-testament

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 03:41PM

Come on. "sensitive to [LDS] beliefs and practices"?

Get real. If it's Truth you are seeking, the Mormon cult and BYU "scholars" and Deseret Books aren't going to give it to you. They like their paychecks too much.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 04:28PM

I’ll bet it’s part of phasing out the BoM.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 22, 2018 03:32AM

^^^^^ That!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 04:42PM

...oh great. I'm sure the "new and improved translation" will be done with oversight by Kirton McConkie. Would be fun to see some legal challenge by members arise, due to major conflicts with the existing traditional doctrines.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 05:09PM

Seems like a wonderful idea so that the "two sticks" can support each other. I'm sure the new inspired BYU version will unveil Bible passages with new wording that prophesy of Joseph Smith and his marvelous work and wonder.

Why not put some of the BoM in the Bible returning the favor of the borrowed Bible verses in the BoM? Seems only right.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 22, 2018 03:51AM

Why not insert some revealed truth that was previously lost in the days of the great Apostasy.

Here's one I would like to see:

"And it came to pass that after Jesus had turned the wine into unfermented grape juice, He then stared into the vessel containing the grape juice and prophesied, saying that a branch of Israel was even at that very moment wallowing in darkness in a far-away land, across many waters, such that they did drink fermented wine and inhale smoke of burning leaves of iniquity, leading to all manner of knee fights and poor quality laminates. And he continued to prophesy saying that he would visit those lost people and bring light unto them even while he lay in his tomb. And, behold, the people who heard these things were dumbfounded, befuddled and befunkyulated, for they had not heard such marvelous things before."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 22, 2018 10:05AM

I'm loving it here for free, but you know, the Gerontocracy would pay you a lot of money to write them some scripture. You seem to know just the sort of twist on it to make them happy. Haha.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 05:17PM

I need to see pictures of the process of the 'coming forth' of this new translation:

Smith-like character with the source material behind a curtain, calling out the new words to a scribe.

To the side, a computer monitor, & some refreshments; also on the desk, a group photo of the individual's wives;

anything else?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: November 22, 2018 11:15AM

Excuse me, it’s ‘caractors’. Come on now! :p

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 06:12PM

Are they going to use the seer stone? I don’t think anyone else is using it right now.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 06:28PM

Could it be decent ? hmmmmmmmmmmm

it is commissioned by the leaders of a major league fecal matter peddling organization

the commission is issued to members of the major official institutional apologist arm of the fecal matter peddling organization

the intention of the commission is create more new fecal matter to better and more fully justify the same old totally unjustifiable fecal matter that the fecal matter peddling organization / corporation was founded on

or in more concise terms: GIGO!!!!!

yah, yah, I bet that could be some of the most decent fecal matter ever produced !!!! .....how much "decent" fecal matter were you needing ?????

Date: November 21, 2018 07:09PM

Expect all kinds of twisty-fudgy interpretations.

Now, at the wedding feast, Jesus will turn water into grape juice.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 07:11PM

And the bride will be 13

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 07:19PM

A few months short of 14.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 09:22PM

Well, that's all right then. :/

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 07:59PM

From the Harvard of the West, you say? Got to be profound.

"sensitive to [LDS] beliefs and practices"

Shucks, you can get that kind of sensitivity right here on RFM, no?

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 09:07PM

The radio program 2 nights ago said they couldn't quite find much evidence that the JST matches the ancient Hebrew Old Testament very well. But a few of the phrases that Joe added matched fairly well nevertheless. and so they added it as footnotes into this new Bible.

The arguement is still on going with the BYU academicians, back and forth. What exactly was the JST, and why doesn't it fit with modern scholarship? They just can't quite decide what to do with the JST...

Date: November 21, 2018 09:30PM

at one time, wasn't the JST included with the quad?

recently or currently???

Date: November 21, 2018 09:50PM

LDS Edition of the Bible is included in the quad. But the JST texts are set out in footnotes and an appendix, not in the main text. They also only used "selected references" meaning that some JST references are so idiotic that they didn't dare use them.

https://store.lds.org/ProductDisplay?top_category5=&top_category4=&top_category3=&urlRequestType=Ajax&productId=3074457345616681823&catalogId=3074457345616676768&top_category2=&categoryId=3074457345616678774&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=3074457345616678768&parent_category_rn=3074457345616678769&storeId=10151

"Selected references to the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible are included in footnotes, with longer excerpts included in an appendix."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDS_edition_of_the_Bible

Date: November 21, 2018 09:41PM

The JST belongs in the same file as the translation of the Kinderhook plates.

IOW, they just need to assign some hapless and intellectually dishonest apologist at BYU with the task of reframing the historical accounts, based on the apologist's poorly supported speculations, such that the JST will turn out to have been nothing more than a personal "educational pursuit" that Joseph Smith was exploring on his own time and "did not fit into Joseph Smith's sacred pursuit."

Yeah, that's the ticket. That's what it was. That's what the JST was too. Just like Brigham Young's preachings about Adam being our God.... That too was just Brigham Young's personal intellectual musings and private "educational pursuit" that were not part of his "sacred pursuit." He didn't know anyone was listening when he was just talking out loud to himself...

"Another possibility is that if the Kinderhook Plates do not fit into Joseph Smith’s sacred pursuit, perhaps they fall more comfortably into a scholarly realm. Joseph participated in a number of educational pursuits such as studying Hebrew, Egyptian, and other languages. As early as December 1832, the Lord commanded Joseph to “be instructed more perfectly” concerning a variety of areas such as astronomy, geology, history, languages, and political science (see D&C 88:78–79). Throughout his life the Prophet pursued many kinds of knowledge."

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/no-weapon-shall-prosper/did-joseph-smith-translate-kinderhook-plates

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 22, 2018 02:36AM

Can’t they just get Warren Jeffs to expand the JST? He seems to be of the same caliber as Joseph Smith.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 21, 2018 10:05PM

First, since I consider the Bible, no matter who "translates" it, to be a work of historical and scientific fiction, it doesn't really matter to me whether or not a group of Mormons are retranslating it for their own needs and purposes. Both the Catholics and Protestants have been doing that for some time now (unofficially, of course) so why shouldn't the Mormons get into the game.

That said, I think it will set back the LDS church's efforts to be seen as "just another Protestant church,", because while other churches have been translating (unofficially, of course) Bible stories to fit their needs, they haven't been putting those translations down in writing.

Date: November 22, 2018 02:30AM

blindguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> That said, I think it will set back the LDS
> church's efforts to be seen as "just another
> Protestant church,", because while other churches
> have been translating (unofficially, of course)
> Bible stories to fit their needs, they haven't
> been putting those translations down in writing.

Beg Pardon!!!

there are now Many versions of the Bible; IDK if churches have Directly sponsored them or not, check Bible Gateway for a
partial list...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 22, 2018 05:08AM

Wouldn't this in and of itself be admitting Joseph was unable to translate languages?

Date: November 22, 2018 05:20AM

He had the gift of bloviation. There's no indication that he ever really had the gift of translation.

Notice, how his translation attempts always involved languages that nobody ever heard of or nobody could decipher.

With Egyptian hieroglyphics, he was banking on them always remaining undecipherable, so that his bloviations could never be challenged. Well...that didn't work out. But I guess his little incident at Carthage made it a moot point for him. But it left all of his followers saddled with a bogus book of scripture that they're still struggling with more than 170 years later.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 22, 2018 07:23AM

Church leaders are Nuts.

A BYU Bible won't catch on any more than the Book of Mormon.

The world already has the International Bible,so named because international scholars from around the world worked on it to produce the most accurate translations.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: November 22, 2018 09:35AM

The fundamental Mormon scripture is the Book of Mormon. A Mormon bible might find a small audience in the pre-baby-boomer LDS generation, a few scattered readers among the LDS boomers themselves, and essentially no interest at all among the post-boomer generations.

Missionaries might be compelled to read it, Mormon studies programs might include it as "optional" reading. Non-Mormon biblical scholars wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. The world at large will take no notice.

Yep, another Mormon "best-seller".

Date: November 22, 2018 10:58PM

parts of the new translation. This one is basically the same as the original, except that they inserted text (in brackets) that they say was lost in previous translations. The new texts do seem to be sensitive to Mormon beliefs and even supportive of them. I wonder where they got the original source materials for these texts:

Revelation 1:

11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea[[and also send it to the land across the sea and bury it in a hill, so that it eventually will go unto Joseph of Palmyra.]]

12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks [[and a peepstone, brown in color and fit for use with the gift of translation]];

13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle [[or rather not so much gold as it was white, with a green apron and a hat of round shape and floppyness tied with a string unto a sash and a thingamabob with markings too sacred to speak of]].

14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire [[yet he did not burn with lust for a harlot named Fanny, but yet was commanded to go unto Fanny to perform a sacred ritual in humble surroundings]];

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.