Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 09:20PM

Have you ever heard of such a thing ?

It may not be a Jewish cruise per se, but apparently there's a requirement for a rabbi to be present. Not a chaplain, just a rabbi.

A Titanic cruise ... somehow I don't find that all so thrilling.

:/ Meh. What do I know? My taking chances consists of playing the lotto occasionally. And jaywalking on rural roads.

;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 09:28PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 09:51PM

Yeah. It has the knell of doom.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 10:08PM

According to Google, this replica ship cost $500 million to construct!!

I have no idea why they need a rabbi.

Maybe something to do with a rabbi being on the original Titanic, but no other members of the clergy?

I have no idea.

Date: December 01, 2018 10:33PM

It was written into his contract before he became our rabbi that he had this pre-existing gig for the Titanic cruise upcoming. So it's just something he's already committed to.

There were Jews on the original Titanic. Perhaps for the remake of the cruise ship there will be other [quite likely wealthy] Jews who can afford to make the trip on the updated cruise ship. The rabbi will officiate to all their needs, from what I was told by those in the loop.

:)

Date: December 01, 2018 11:43PM

He's also from England. That much makes sense.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 10:18AM

Tevai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have no idea why they need a rabbi.

A superstitious co-owner suggested bringing a rabbit's foot for luck, and the end of the sentence got cut off...?

:)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 10:29PM

Brrrrrrrr .....

Date: December 01, 2018 10:34PM

That's what I was thinking. Especially brrr... as in ICEBERG.

Meh. I'm just not that adventurous. :)

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 01, 2018 11:31PM

Hopefully he has a big bushy beard to keep his face warm.

Date: December 01, 2018 11:40PM

It isn't bushy. He's an outdoor enthusiast.

I hear the newer version has better lifeboats. :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 11:42PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 01:06AM

Somehow, your subject sentence makes perfect sense!

Date: December 02, 2018 03:54AM

Maybe with recent global warming, they're banking on the melting ice glaciers in the north liquidating the submerged ice blocks along the chartered course. Radar will conveniently lead them around any stray icebergs.

Plus the ship has reinforcements the former Titanic lacked. Isn't that what they said about the first one though? It was advertised as unsinkable.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 11:21AM

>>Isn't that what they said about the first one though? It was advertised as unsinkable.

Pure hubris on their part. IMO if Captain Smith had made the decision to take the hit head on, he might have had a chance. But it was the long gash on the side that caused too many of the compartments to flood.

Captain Smith exercised poor judgment in trying to make it through the iceberg field that night. He was being badgered by Bruce Ismay, the owner of the White Star Line, to set a trans-Atlantic record. Every other ship in that part of the North Atlantic that night had come to a (sensible) halt.

The weather was against them as well. It was a moonless night with no wind lapping up the waves. The icebergs and the ocean blended into one.

Another fatal error was that the binocculars for the lookouts had been left behind on the ship's last stop before setting out across the ocean.

Date: December 02, 2018 04:02AM

From what I could find online,

"The original Titanic set off on its maiden voyage from Southampton, England, in April 1912, destined for New York City. It carried more than 2,000 passengers.

While many were wealthy, many were poor emigrants from Europe looking to start anew in the U.S. Five days after launch, the ship struck an iceberg and sank, killing most of the passengers.

Still, Clive Palmer thought it would be a good idea to recreate the ship as closely as possible for modern travelers. Some differences will exist, though.

For one thing, instead of sailing from England to New York, the Titanic II will sail from Jiansu, China, to Dubai."

https://www.littlethings.com/there-really-is-a-titanic-ii/1

So, assuming all goes well between China to Dubai, it should be a smooth sail. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 04:03AM by Amyjo.

Date: December 02, 2018 04:34PM

"In the first announcement, the developer set the launch date 2016. In 2016, the company again delayed the launch date to 2018 year due to some reasons.

In recent press conference by the billionaire Clive Palmer, the launch date of Titanic II ship is set to 2022. A large number of passengers are waiting for titanic release date and we too!"

That's the launch date for the 2,000 paying tourists who will be cavorting.

I have no idea why my rabbi is on his assignment now but he is under contract with the company that will be launching the maiden voyage.

Not sure why or the wherefores. Other than he had it accepted as part of his agreement before hiring on to be our next rabbi. His working for us was conditional on his being able to take time off to participate in the Titanic events. Which he's on assignment at the moment.

"Maiden Voyage
Earlier, the company was planning to sail it’s maiden voyage from Jiangsu, China to Dubai, UAE. In recent press conference, the company announced that, the maiden voyage route will be from Dubai to Southampton.

Later on, the cruise will take the historic route of the original Titanic ship between England and the US."

https://traveljee.com/luxury/titanic-ii-ship/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 08:07AM

I can't think of a worse name for a cruise. What were they thinking .

Date: December 02, 2018 09:27AM

It's a replica of the original Titanic.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 02, 2018 09:23AM

Date: December 02, 2018 04:12PM

I went through the Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas. Too sad. How could anyone enjoy that cruise?

Date: December 02, 2018 04:35PM

It would remind me too much of the Holocaust.

:(

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 03, 2018 04:27AM

Is ramming the ship into an iceberg part of the cruise experience?

Date: December 03, 2018 07:48AM

It's more along the lines of cheating Mother Nature this time around. With use of technology and building materials not in use in 1912, the builders of Titanic II believe they've overcome the old obstacles, including icebergs, that sunk the former mother ship.

Date: December 03, 2018 09:38AM

It seems to me that there is something irreverent about it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 11:06AM by kathleen.

Date: December 03, 2018 11:06AM

The billionaire who is recreating the Titanic most likely is an irreverent sort.

My rabbi, albeit a humble man, is someone who I perceive as having a great love of adventure - on the high seas no less.

I imagine that he's getting paid to do this is another great incentive. If he were a paying customer, maybe not so much?

If I were offered a free ride on the Titanic cruise ship, would I take it?

Probably not.

It is probably safer than flying however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 11:08AM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.