Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 07:47PM

Three of my cousins have left the Mormon cult, and have joined the Jewish religion. One is very Otrhodox, and has a lot of strict rules to obey. For example, I don't dare text or call her right now, because it is her Sabath.

I would like to just send the cards, without asking, or making a big deal about it. In the past, we have always exchanged Christmas cards.

Is there a time-frame? I think Hanukkah is over, on Monday.

You Jewish RFM'ers, would you rather receive no acknowledgement from an ex-Mormon? Would you rather receive a generic "Happy Holiday Season" card, in the next few days?

If I ignore Hanukkah altogether, they might think I'm shunning them, like some of our TBM cousins are. I would like to give them support.

What are your ideas, please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 08:04PM

It's perfectly fine to send a Hannukah card if you're so inclined. I've noticed that exchanging cards like Christmas greetings seems to be more online these days except for closest friends & family perhaps.

Correct we're not supposed to make phone calls or even write on Shabbat. I myself am not as observant as most, other than at synagogue because there we silence our phones.

Date: December 07, 2018 08:08PM

I try to celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah because Christmas was the tradition I was raised with. I keep both very low key because I avoid holiday stress as much as possible.

Sending your cousins a general "seasons greetings" card this time of year would also be acknowledging them without stepping on toes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 08:10PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 08:20PM

I just sent a Hanukkah ecard to my Jewish friend and he liked it.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 08:34PM

Hanukkah 2018 begins: sundown on December 2
Hanukkah 2018 ends: sundown on December 10

I'm not the best source on this because my family is/was not Jewish, but after my conversion they did send me Hanukkah greeting cards (available at your local drugstore, next to the Christmas cards ;) ), and especially after my Bat Mitzvah. (I think, by Bat Mitzvah time, they realized I was serious. :D )

I am no longer a member of the Synagogue for the Performing Arts (where I became Bat Mitzvah), and my conversion took place over thirty years ago, so I don't have anyone, anymore, to send Hanukkah cards to, because my only relative from my birth family who is still alive is my sister (and she always sends me a Happy Hanukkah! email).

You can always leave a "Thinking of you on Hanukkah" phone message, or just send a note, saying much the same thing, in the mail, if this would feel more appropriate for your individual relationships with your cousins.

One thing to keep in mind: Although your Orthodox Jewish cousins don't usually use the phone on Jewish holy days, all of these rules of observance (not "touching" money, not driving cars, etc.) are suspended INSTANTLY in the case of emergencies or if someone dies.

I don't know how close you are to your cousins, but it might be a good idea to discuss these possibilities with them: "If [Aunt Linda], or whoever, is dying, or has died, is it okay if I communicate this to you, even if it is during Shabbat or another (similar) Jewish holiday (Jewish New Year, or Yom Kippur, for example)."

Hope this helps!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2018 08:37PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 07, 2018 09:42PM

Date: December 08, 2018 07:18AM

Well, that was lively. Woke me right up !

:)

Date: December 08, 2018 02:09PM

Hockeyrat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://youtu.be/9P30ckBf1wk

Open-mouthed, drop-jawed, amazement!!

Wow!!

I am literally speechless....

This is an amazing creative accomplishment, and even though I saw it, I have no idea how they actually brought this off. The creativity involved (and the necessary background knowledge) is nearly unbelievable.

Thank you for this, Hockeyrat!!!!

Happy Hanukkah!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 09:54AM

His will also be late this year because of my own situation, but then he always spends Christmas with us. Well, sometimes, he goes and spends Christmas with members of his family or used to go ski with his kids on Christmas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 09:55AM by cl2.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 10:13AM

I do choose cards which are not overtly Christian, just a happy upbeat message that let's friends know I'm thinking of them.

Date: December 08, 2018 01:17PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do choose cards which are not overtly Christian,
> just a happy upbeat message that let's friends
> know I'm thinking of them.

Generic "Happy Holidays!" cards are what I mostly grew up with, because you often don't know if a given person is Jewish or not, or atheist or not, or Buddhist, or whatever they might be.

My Mom used to spend a few weeks during the end of November/start of December period addressing cards to the entire mailing list of whatever company my father was working for at the time, and "Happy Holidays!" was always the most prudent way to go.

(In my Dad's usual work positions, it was company-obligatory to send holiday cards to every person who worked for that company, from the newest hire on the janitorial staff, through the members of the executive board. One of the enduring memories of my growing up is my Mom, often very late at night, sitting at a card table set up in our living room, methodically addressing her quota for that day of holiday cards, which were put into a big carton and later mailed. The lists she was working from contained hundreds of names and addresses, and I grew up thinking that a wife's responsibility was to spend those weeks, every year, addressing Happy Holidays! cards to every single person who worked for Hughes Aircraft, or whichever!)

"Happy Holidays!," I learned, is by far the best option available.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 01:20PM by Tevai.

Date: December 08, 2018 01:54PM

I gave a Jewish friend from shul today a small jar of made in Idaho loganberry jam I picked up @ the Pocatello airport as a souvenir in September, bubble wrapped w/ a white bow on it for a Hannukkah greeting.

She wasn't expecting it which made the surprise even funner, when I gave her a ride home from worship.

She spent fifteen winters in Salt Lake City on skiing trips before losing her husband. She's a very sweet lady.

It wasn't a greeting card, but was given with the same sentiment.

I hope that didn't violate Jewish customs for shabbat. She's unable to eat solid foods at the moment so we were thinking of ways she can eat jam without needing to bite or chew her food (from a jaw injury.) She told me this morning she tried putting jam on some french toast, and then couldn't eat the toast. Poor dear. She can eat saltines since they melt in her mouth, so she'll use the jam on those. :)

Date: December 08, 2018 02:13PM

You made the world a better place today....

You made her life better, and her heart more whole.

Thank you!

Happy Hanukkah, Amyjo!

Date: December 08, 2018 02:20PM

And you likewise, Tevai! :)

Our rabbi is still on his cruise. Today I was told it's a Hannukah cruise. The same person who told me last week he was on the Titanic cruise. I don't exactly know how or if they're related or mutually exclusive, but it must bring in a nice extra revenue for him. He had that gig prior to becoming our rabbi.

My friend from shul needs a ride to services. I'm glad to help her out when I'm able to.

:)

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:59PM

You did a mitzvah and shined some light into her life.
You’re a very caring person

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.