Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:00PM

Least that's what we were taught in seminary and Institute.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 08, 2018 02:02PM

Supposedly Mary Magdalene was the lucky lady who became his betrothed.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:10PM

Not proved. He may have been married, a widower, celibate, asexual or gay. We dont know because the NT doesnt address the issue.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:15PM

Something like only one of the 12 apostles wives is even mentioned in scripture. It goes without saying that the majority of them, if not all, would've been married and had families owing to their Jewish customs and values. The same 'guesswork,' ie, Occam's Razor, thus suggests that Christ too would have been married.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:34PM

Not if he was an Essene. They practiced celibacy. Even though marriage was expected for Jews, there were exceptions.Hencould have been.married in his youth and left as a widower too.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:13PM

Mormons believe he was a polygamist,but that is Mormon and not likely.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:15PM

Fictional character . hard to know from the story

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:27PM

Mormons and Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code) think so. Dan Brown may not have actually believed it, but it made him a millionaire, which is good enough.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )

Many, many people have made fortunes through Jesus.

That proves he was real, don't you know.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )

For the most part, it's generally a Mormon belief, which is one of the reasons why Mormonism is seen as a cult, and not a Christian denomination. Dan Brown used the idea for a fictional story that made him millions through book sales and movie royalties, but it's something most Christians dismiss as fiction at best, and heresy at worst.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:39PM

Yes, but Dan Brown made those millions because he spun a good yarn, and it is the kind of story people apparently want to believe. Every time I see "The Last Supper" by Da Vinci now, I see that "M", and the person to the left of Jesus looks female to me. I half seriously wonder if that was in fact Da Vinci's intention.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:40PM

There is plenty in 'The Da Vinci Code' that didnt happen such as a big plot to deny the feminine influence of early Christiakity,complete with changing scripture and a mass hiding or destruction of evidence. The secret messages in Da Vinci's works have more plausible explanations. Bart Ehrman wrote a book called 'Truth and Fiction in the Da Vinci Code' which covers the issue pretty well.. Bottom line is it is fiction.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:42PM

That's what I was taught in Institute as well. The Institute instructor said that Jesus HAD to be married or he wouldn't be exalted. Interesting, I guess being nailed to and dying on the cross was not enough.

When I had questions about the Church's polygamous history, that's when I learned that some Mormon's believed that Jesus and the Mormon God were polygamists (As many already know, Fundamentalists do believe this).

Here's the contradiction, at one of Spring session of the 2009 (or 2010) General Conference Elder Holland gave a talk about how Jesus went through a lot of his life alone, dying alone.

I guess his wife/wives weren't around when he carried out his mission?

But then again, there's a LOT of contradictions with the TSCC.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2018 03:07PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:45PM

Whether Jesus was married or not (whether he existed or not), the Mormon God is undeniably polygamist. That is established doctrine, though de-emphasized today.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:52PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is established doctrine, though
> de-emphasized today.

Like the so-called Priesthood Ban.

Date: December 08, 2018 02:53PM

Yup.

I don't know that we teach doctrine anymore.

Date: December 08, 2018 03:02PM

You're right about that, it's not taught.
But when it's mentioned it gets whitewashed.

"I don't know why it happened, but God does."

Ugh.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 02:46PM

I'm guessing you are related to him somehow. ;-)

Date: December 08, 2018 06:29PM

One of my genealogist Jewish cousins (by marriage,) who lost her grandparents to the Holocaust, can trace her lineage to King David.

Not I.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:00PM

I was very surprised when my Mormon-convert high school friend stated this. I had never heard of the concept before. The Gospels do not say one way or the other, and Catholics assume that Jesus was single and celibate (this is the basis of their celibate priesthood.)

The norm at the time would have been for Jewish males to be married, but come to think of it, it's very odd that the gospels don't mention this at least in passing.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:03PM

First, I assume that Jesus was celibate. Most people's take on this arises from their predisposition: people read into the NT narratives what they want to. Like the missing years (12--30-something), if the NT writers thought it was important to their message, they would have included it. That's "arguing from (Scriptural) silence." Some things were omitted because of their potential for controversy and distracting speculations.

Also, consider Christ's messianic claims. The presence of heir(s) would have provoked partisan struggles, such as what happened following the death of Mohammed.

What I AM interested is
(1)whether you were taught that Jesus was polygamous, and in what time period and circumstances.
(2)Was this taught rather officially (seminary? institute? General Conference?)
(3)and when?

My impression is that it was rather commonly taught, but not so much following Correlation, enabling LDS to escape into the "I don't know if we ever taught that" disavowal. I'm asking for confirmation or correction.

Posted by: SEcular Priesr ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:18PM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 03:36PM

Taught in Seminary, Sunday School, Priesthood meeting in the 70s and 80s.
Jesus was not only married, but was a polygamist - married to Mary, Martha, and Mary Magdalene.
Further, the marriage at Cana was one of Jesus' weddings.

The doctrinal basis is that *EVERYONE* must have certain ordinances (baptism, endowment, sealing) to reach the celestial Kingdom - even Jesus.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 04:35PM

The question isn't was Jesus married, but rather, why are so many people desperate to claim he was with no evidence whatsoever? Seems a little insecure.

Jesus is mostly a blank slate. Besides not knowing his marital status, we don't know what his favorite food was, if he preferred white wine or red, which sport he cheered for, if he liked walks along the beach at sunset, Pina Coladas, if he wore underwear or went commando, or even if he had a pet (besides John the beloved).

You can pretty much dress him up the way you want like a paper doll. And everyone does. Give him any attribute you want to appease your own inner demons.

Apparently wives were hardly worth mentioning back in Jesus' day. Wild women could get at least a line here and there in the Bible though. It's only slightly better now in Mormonism for women. Or is it?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 04:42PM

Jesus had to obey every commandment to be perfect so he nit only was married, he practiced celestial marriage.

Brigham or maybe it was Joseph used a scripture in Isaiah to the effect that the messiah would look down from his tree or cross and see his children.

Hence Jesus had children and since he was obedient he would have been married.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.