Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 08, 2018 10:23PM

Do you consider ChurchCo's secrecy - especially about finances -

a necessary policy?

a good thing?

Isn't that a lack of trust on the part of leaders?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 12:38AM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you consider ChurchCo's secrecy - especially about finances - a necessary policy? A good thing?
>

There are no TBMs here
Recovery From Mormonism
It's a site for formons
(former mormons) Not TBMs

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 12:51AM

I believe there are both lerkers & fence sitters here + an occasional TBM.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 01:11AM

Yea, it's a good place to learn and share and ask questions.
I'm sure you'll catch a few, to answer the question.

Secrecy of this nature, and of this scale, and in this top-down temple-screen kind-of-way, can NEVER be a good thing for an "open", 'honest', supposed Godsend of a religion.

Mormonism DOESN'T TRUST You
But expects you to trust it

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 01:07AM

When I was a TBM, I sometimes popped in here. Just for a little bit, to see what those pathetic apostates were talking about.

It's amazing how I could rationalize everything that the church said and did.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 02:10AM

They’re so up to their necks in cronyism, there’s no way they’ll be transparent with their finances unless threatened with loss of tax exempt status. It’s the only way to explain the belt tightening in the presence of such a healthy cash flow.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 09, 2018 02:37AM

...necessary for the top leaders, their friends and relatives and other special individuals and groups who are on the receiving end of the tithepayer-funded wealth and cash flow of ChurchCo.

I have no doubt that if the books were completely open and transparent that many ordinary TBMs would be scandalized to find out how much of their hard-earned tithing dollars are not doing what they imagined they were doing.

And, even if the way that ChurchCo funds/assets are managed turned out not to be too extremely scandalous, the opening of the books would probably provide endless fodder for criticism.

"Why did they hire this company as a contractor?"

"Why are so many relatives and friends of the GAs getting cushy church-related business and job opportunities?"

"Why did they build a temple there when objective studies indicated that it would likely be grossly underutilized?"

You know, open books would expose the leaders to all kinds of questions. Plus, when people see how much time, energy and attention go into managing the Church's asset portfolio, it would kind of put the "spiritual leadership" aspects into the shade.

People would see how very, very important it was for their Prophet to shout: "Let's go shopping!!"

Nah, definitely not good. Open books and transparency....Bad.

Closed books and plausible deniability....Good!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 11:21AM

When I was thinking about leaving TSSC, I went to the Baptist church a few blocks away for their Wednesday evening service.

Imagine my surprise when the pastor got up in front of everyone with slides and showed the entire church income and expenditures, one by one. He does it every quarter.

I think all churches should let you know where their donations go.

That contributed to my decision to leave...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 01:08PM

IT is sacred hiding of prophets' actions as men.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 01:17PM

I asked a Mormon about that some time ago. He thought it was wise and necessary because there were so many anti-Mormons trying to attack the Mormon church. He was perfectly fine with it because he trusts that the leaders are doing what god wants. I think members of most cults use the same reasoning. Gotta remember, the sheep are not paid to think.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 01:19PM

eternal1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gotta remember, the sheep are not
> paid to think.

Bleating hell. I wish I would known that a long time ago!

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 01:43PM

Channeling my TBM self (left 2 years ago). I remember reading that the church donated 250 million in charity in the ten years GBH was the President. I remember thinking that 25 million a year seemed low. There are video game charity tournaments that donate 2 million over a weekend, so that much from a multi billion dollar church seemed low.

As to the secrecy it didn't bother me. I knew the Church had Billions in business and real estate and they continue to build the business side. They've done that since the early 1800s, out of necessity. So keeping that "hidden" seemed prudent and not secrecy.

The yearly "audit report" felt kind of weird to me, a little to stagy. But didn't really bother me, just looked weird.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 02:16PM

First: I don't agree with ChurchCo's use of word 'charity'!
Charity is something an individual gives from their own funds/wealth to benefit another, thereby reducing their $.

ChurchCo DOESN'T DO THIS! It's using bps & others as a Judge to see who is 'worthy', a dog & pony kinda deal where ChurchCo takes all the credit for PR .

(to myself at least) 'Charity' isn't a reward system, isn't targeted at people of one religion, race, nationality or other category other than need.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 02:53PM

Excellent point.
We should remember that every penny put into building and maintaining ward buildings and temples is lumped into the "charity" category by ChurchCo, for example.
So is money spent on maintaining the missionary workforce.

So is money spent on aid to families/individuals, to help pay rent, eat, etc. Which actually is "charity."

But since those are all lumped together, it's not possible to know how much went to each part.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.