Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 12:32PM

a member at SM yesterday. How he got past a bishop's interview is beyond me. His conversion was through the efforts of female missionaries who are "cute". I believe that they are sincere although deluded. It does not apear to me that this person has the mental capacity to realize what he has just done. However I am not a credentialed person in that field of expertise so my opiniion is probably moot.
It would appear part of a numbers game. "Look how many converts I caused to be baptized during my mision"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 01:10PM

It is never a good idea to take good people and commit them in a temple to a fraud.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 11:33PM

that a huge percentage (up to 70% or more) of the "converts" baptized/brought in by missionaries were dubious cases at best.

In my home ward, it was very rare for any "convert" brought in by the missionaries to remain active for more than a year. Typically, they would be people who were mentally unstable or people who didn't really know what they were getting into. Often it would just be a case of a friendly, charming and charismatic missionary talking them into getting baptized. They loved the missionary. After the missionary was gone, the "new member" decided there wasn't any point in them sticking around either.

About the only "converts" who ever really stuck around were people who came in by marriage or through friends or other relatives. The missionaries' track record was abysmal. It was easy to see that it was just a numbers game for them. Very little common sense was applied.

A recurring thing in our ward (east coast USA) was missionaries who had moved to other areas occasionally calling up members in the ward to find out if their "convert" was doing okay. The following would be the typical report from the member: "Oh, you mean Brother Schizo? Yeah, we checked on him. He's back in prison. That's right. Turns out he was still dealing drugs. Yeah, yeah. I know. He seemed so sincere about quitting. Who could've seen something like this coming?"

Then there were the professional moochers who just saw the eager-to-please members as easy pickings. Constantly calling the bishop or EQ president for taxi service, moving service, food assistance, help with paperwork for government benefits, home repairs, etc. I remember one time in the EQ helping one of them move to a new apartment. The lady had a grown son at home. Neither the lady nor her grown son lifted a finger to help pack or move any boxes. We actually had to step over the son as we worked, because he was watching TV, and was constantly reminding us not to pack up the TV until last. SMH for not just walking away from that nonsense then and there.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: December 10, 2018 11:46PM

The only baptism I had anything to do with was the teaching and dunking of two young girls whose parents were inactive and hadn't come to church for most of the girls' lives. They lived far out in the country, had no car, and none of the members would drive that far to pick them up for church. I saw them baptized but they were probably inactive within a week or two at most.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 11, 2018 12:00AM

One IN
Two OUT
Three strikes
Two out
One to go
One to stop going
Once they wake up
Learn the truth
Or tire trying

M@t

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 12:57PM

In a small branch in the midwest I witnessed a self proclaimed witch and a women who turned out to be a double murdress confirmed. The witch was doing pretty good until she was caught in the relief society room doing a satanic ritual on another member. I know this sounds made up but I swear on joe Smith's head it's true.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 03:14PM

Are there real witches?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2018 03:14PM by tumwater.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 04:10PM

Wally,

Good summary and points.

Quote"Then there were the professional moochers who just saw the eager-to-please members as easy pickings. Constantly calling the bishop or EQ president for taxi service, moving service"

Ha! I saw this too, the lady who only came when she was going to need help moving. And it did seem like a lot of converts had not car/job/etc.

And I saw also, none of the converts who started around when I did, lasted as long as I did.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: December 12, 2018 04:42PM

It was my understanding that all converts were to be dentists, stay at home mom, and at least 5 children- all tall, toothy, and blond.

Is this not the actual case?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.