Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mike motorbike ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:06AM

at 19 years old in 1987 and another when I departed.

Biggest bait and switch...ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 07:46AM

I know what you mean.

I walked in (1979) thinking I was a "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" about-to-be-a-missionary.

I walked out a death-gesturing, funny-underwear-wearing, newly-named, annointed-and-fondled cultist.

Talk about a mind fuck.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 11:58PM

Well said and spot-on.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:02AM

I was irritated at the segregation and embarrassed at the ridiculous getup I was in, but I tried so hard to buy it all and he a good little Mormon. I'm still angry over the time I lost in life trying to accept what I knew was absurd.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 08:49AM

Ditto.

1980 and got to experience the death penalties.

The whole time i'm thinking "WHAT THE ....?!?!?"

The benevolent church of my youth suddenly turned dark and sinister. Funny thing - Some of my friends had the same reaction yet as they grew older and kept attending the temple they acclimated to the weirdness and one even embraced the freak show.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 09:42AM

Walked in primed for a Heavenly Experience.

Walked out even able to swallow more Hellish Bull than before.

How'd they do that? I convinced myself in under an hour that it was all holy. Geez.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 09:54AM

Yup. Mid '80s

I walked in thinking that I would come out being closer to God and know more of His mysteries.

I walked out thinking I must have missed something.

I think that's why they don't let you go to the temple until just days before your mission. They're not afraid you'll have sex. They're afraid you'll have enough time to say. "You know what? No. Just No." and they won't have 2 years to church break you.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 11:07AM

I was halfway expecting the Candid Camera people to pop out from behind the Celestial Room curtain and scream: "You're on Candid Camera!", followed by all of the temple workers and other people clapping and laughing at how they punked me so good.

They all gather round after the gag is revealed and start commenting on their favorite bits.

"You should've seen your face when I started dabbing oil in your crotch area under that poncho. Priceless!"

"Yeah, but the killer shot was the look on your face when we got you to make those throat slashing and disembowelment gestures! Boy did we have you going there! And it's all on video. Hahaha!"

"My favorite was when we got him to stand around in a circle and chant 'pay, lay, ale' while wearing those goofy costumes! The look on his face was like 'what crazy Stephen King horror movie did I fall into?!'

"Okay, it's a wrap. Cookies and punch in the 'Celestial Room' ha ha ha! Get it...I said 'Celestial Room'!!"

Posted by: apron man ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 11:27AM

I was 100% mormon and believed it was the cure to all the world's ills.

I walked out of the temple with my head hung low and a changed person.

I didn't look at my life or anyone in it the same anymore.

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 11:41AM

I was a happy recent convert (less than two years) when I entered the temple. My eyes were red from crying in the celestial room after two hours of distress when I came out. I wish I had had the courage to leave the church back then, but I still couldn't accept that joining the church had been a mistake.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 12:31PM

1976, walked in thinking the mysteries of heaven and earth would be revealed to me. Might even see some sort of heavenly being or deceased relative.

Walked out with a confirmation of what my non-member friends had told me...I WAS in a cult.

Posted by: apron man ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 01:48PM

1990 and didn't think there was a serious problem with TSCC.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 06:14PM

was that before April 1990 when they changed the ceremony and
removed the penalties, etc., or after April when they had the
sanitized version?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2018 06:17PM by baura.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 04:23PM

I left without wearing my underwear. I had gone command(ed)-oh, and how I hated being a puritanical pawn for my corporate commanders!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 05:03PM

Isn't the bait 'n' switch the reason that Tom P. took the church to court in the UK, or am I going down the wrong path? I can't really remember the details. Anyway, it bothered me immensely when DW and I team-taught the temple preparation class, and there was hardly a thing in there that was about the temple. Then you go, and you're really surprised that it's about nothing.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 06:16PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyway, it bothered me immensely when DW
> and I team-taught the temple preparation class,
> and there was hardly a thing in there that was
> about the temple. Then you go, and you're really
> surprised that it's about nothing.

The temple prep class is designed to make you think that if you
didn't have a wonderful experience, then something must be wrong
with YOU.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 08:49PM

Sort of like "The Emperor's new clothes" no one wants to admit that they didn't have a spiritual experience.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 06:53PM

I went in expecting and hoping to be spiritually astounded and, in some super wonderful way, transformed.

I left feeling transformed alright. It was as if I watched and unwittingly had to participate in a ridiculous 3rd grader's tree house ceremony, complete with the blood letting referenced in slitting throats and gushing intestines which would occur if you squealed on your friends.

The way I can best put it is I felt used, you know like a conman got the best of me. I was insulted and mad. This "temple-time" was one of the big red signs leading me out of the MormonCult.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 08:26PM

In 1969, I was on my mission (Italian Mission), and was so pleased when my first city was Lugano, Switzerland (Italian-speaking canton of Ticino). Man, it was beautiful and a wonderful place to be. Imagine how I felt when the mission president gave my mission companion and me the opportunity to go out of the mission to Bern, and help a couple with their endowments and with their marriage. She was American, and her fiance was Italian. There was no endowment ceremony in Italian, and because I had already worked at the veil, I was tasked to bring him through the veil in Italian, because they had it translated on a card. (As a justification for travelling out of the mission, he gave my companion the opportunity to get his patriarchal blessing from the Swiss Stake (yes, that's what it was called) patriarch, Br. Ringger.

Anyway, I digress. There's a whole lot more to the story, but after we went through the endowment ceremony, we all drove in a taxi to a hotel for the marriage in the morning. In the taxi, the woman bluntly said, "Now I know why my mother said not to lose my testimony when I went to the temple." It kind of shook me, and I thought "she's right; it's weird." She thought the sealing ceremony was crap, and refused at first to kiss her husband across the alter. She was finally coaxed into giving him a peck on the cheek. Not long afterwards, they were out. I was stupid enough to go several decades more.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: December 18, 2018 11:07PM

are planning an extra special Christmas surprise for you. You start to get excited and wonder what it could be that would be "extra special".

In February, other people are speaking in hushed tones about the amazing gift that your parents are planning to give you when Christmas comes around. You beg them to tell you what it is. They tell you that you have to wait because they don't want to ruin the surprise and, in any case, just talking about it won't do it justice.

Month after month, the build-up continues. You sometimes lie awake at night wondering about how your life is going to change when Christmas comes around. What could be so awesome that it has so many people talking about it as though it was magical and more precious than gold and diamonds?

In December, the anticipation is unendurable. People around you are asking if you're ready for the most amazing thing that has ever happened in your life.

Finally! It's Christmas day and your parents, with beaming smiles, hand you a gift-wrapped box. You carefully open it up and find a bunch of socks...socks that you knew were your older brother's socks. There must be something under the socks! You desperately dig around to find the treasure under the socks. But there's nothing but hand-me-down socks.

"These are socks" you say hesitantly, not wanting to offend your parents.

"Not just socks!" your dad tells you. "These socks belonged to your brother and were about to be thrown out because they had holes in them, but your mom and I sewed up those holes, so that you could get some good use out of these socks for a couple years or so."

This ain't no O Henry short story. Your family isn't so poor that getting used socks for Christmas is a big treat. You've already got socks. You don't really even want to wear your brother's old socks. BUT, BUT, BUT.... everyone around you is still smiling and high-fiving, and acting like someone in the family just won a gold medal at the Olympics. And, most of all, your parents are still beaming and acting like they just gave you supernatural powers that would make Superman jealous.

But, but...it's just a box full of used socks.

So confusing. So disappointing. Are you being gaslighted? Is everyone really genuinely this excited about a box of used socks? WTF? WTF????

That was basically what my temple experience was like.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 09:33AM

...and then, while giving you the socks, your dad fondles your man-junk with an oiled hand, and says if you tell anyone, he'll cut your throat -- he makes the gesture, and orders you to do it so you'll remember.

Yeah, old used socks. And stuff.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 11:04AM

Oh My Gods YES!!!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 12:13AM

Cute underwear pre temple.

Weird underwear post temple.

I spent almost the entire decade of my 20s trying to keep my garments from peaking out from under my clothes. I felt like such a freak wearing them.

I wore the weird garments for 10 long years during my physical peak. What a waste of my young life when I could have been wearing Victoria Secret underwear.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 04:48PM

We all were.
That b-fugly underwear was hell on earth, especially in the California summers.
I ditched it for swim wear any chance I got.

Why couldn't they just imprint the "markings" on jewelry a la the Masons.
But noooo, that would be too easy.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 19, 2018 09:42PM

I imagined I would get this beautiful unique name. I got "Deborah" and found out that so did every woman on that same day too.

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.