Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kentucky Crimson ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 04:25AM

Nearly twenty years ago, I knew a sister in my Seattle singles ward who is from Colombia. I would like to find out where she is; however, I resigned in 2006 and don't think contacting MORMON, Inc. in Salt Lake would work.

I tried my former mission president (emeritus GA,) who told me he didn't have any "inner sanctum" connections, but if I would give him the name of my friend, he would ask around. I told him I would rather try to find my friend myself. I've tried Facebook, Truthfinder.com, MyLife, and LinkedIn. I found her on BYU Alumni (I attended there in the 1980s,) but it didn't have any recent information on her.

Would anyone here have any ideas about where to search next? I could fill out a form through MORMON, INC. and they would look up and contact her to see if she wants to contact me. I'm very hesitant to do that, as they would likely cross-reference that I'm ex-LDS, and not forward my request.

Any help will be appreciated.

Have a great weekend!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 08:56AM

If you think she's still in the U.S., you can try various people search sites such as ZabaSearch.

https://www.zabasearch.com/

Look on Facebook for smaller alumni group pages, such as, "BYU Class of [19xx]." Or same for her high school. That's how I found some of my friends.

Is there anyone in your singles ward that she may have married? Try searching for her first name and some last names of the men in the ward. Or look through the friends lists of some people that you knew back then. They may have found her.

Good luck. I've found almost all of the people that I was looking for, but it did take a number of years in some cases.

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 09:17AM

I have no expertise in this area, but you may do better by using an attorney or a licensed investigator.

Whatever your reason for trying to locate someone, the legal environment around this activity has become complex. Between privacy laws and staking laws, people have a growing right not to be found.

Like I said, I am no expert.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 10:22AM

A public records search online might help, but isn't free.

If the person you're searching for has a common name, it can be harder to find because of more results and then you'd end up guessing if it might be hers.

Another tool is Facebook. I have a couple friends from my former Mormon days. If I want to check out some other Mormon friends from back when I was LDS, I can usually find them from networking through their friends list.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.