Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 02:17AM

wondering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 03:57AM

NO

There may well be some that are, but by and large a resounding no.

Many banks, credit unions and credit card companies are offering low or no interest loans, waving late fees etc.

In Utah, or at least Davis and Weber counties the food banks are giving food, no questions asked, to anyone with a federal ID.

The church remains silent. I am sure they have contingency plans to keep operating until tithing flows again.

I am sure lessons on food storage will increase and faith promoting stories will abound next fast sunday.
I hope members learn a lesson from this and build their savi gs instead of church malls.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 05:46PM

TSCC helps furloughed workers by letting them fast and pray about it.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 06:01PM

Everyone, rich or poor, has the equal right to sleep under a bridge...

That's the quote that comes to mind...good luck to any Federal brethren here. :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 12:46AM

Thank you for your positive thoughts. I'm no longer a Federal employee, but a Federal retiree. And my pension comes from the Office of Personnel Management, another Federal agency that is, as far as I have heard, also afflicted by the furlough.

I have no idea whether my retirement annuity will arrive on the first of next month. I have enough in savings to get by for a while, but not very long. It is terrifying.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 05:33AM

I'm sorry, Catnip. I hope that your check comes through. I saw two stories on the news last night about federal workers. One is rationing her insulin. The other was getting help from family members to buy insulin. No one should have to worry about getting critically needed medicine.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: January 13, 2019 06:10PM

...no, they are helping. They are helping by arranging member finances so that a full tithe can be paid. A COB authorized financial planner is being made available to members to help them thru this crisis.

"Thank God, we have the resources to help our members."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 10:24AM

Considering the Mormon Gerontocracy mandates the paying of tithing before even rent or food, I would guess the answer is no.

However I am sure they will return temple recommends once tithe paying resumes. Very generous, no?

Good luck to anyone in that position. Disgusting situation.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 11:23AM

Yes, the federal workers have entered uncharted territory, with the longest furlough in our history. I haven't seen my federally-employed neighbor to check in with her. Local governments and food pantries are doing their best to help.

Date: January 14, 2019 11:30AM

It's a travesty and an abuse of governmental authority at the highest level.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 03:00AM

At least God isn’t taking the heat for this disaster.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 11:32AM

Assistance to members has always been provided at the discretion of the Bishops at the ward level. The Bishop is not just going to hand over a check, or help a needy member maintain an affluent lifestyle...nor should they. The Bishop probably won't step in until the member has gone through their own resources. Food and clothing will be provided first so that the member can extend the cash they have on hand. Once the cash is gone and an emergency level is reached, Bishops have stepped up and provided cash for rent and other bills.

When my father was a Bishop, I saw him provide for MANY members in need. I also saw him cut off those who abused the system. So, as far as Bishops helping furloughed workers (members)...I doubt they would be turned away if destitute.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 10:06AM

The key to this is the discretion of the bishop.

For every story of a decent, fair and honest person such as your father, there are many many stories of bishops not helping.

Myself, I was released as a branch president after three weeks when I depleted my fast offering account helping a family that had their home and almost all possesions destroyed in a storm.

Some years later I needed a 5 day loan for a medical treatment for my wife. Not a hand out. A loan. 5 days. Couldn't get help. Sold the furniture and my wedding band.

Some years ago the church said members should not look to the church for help. Very clear statement from the prophet.

Again. I have no doubt your father was the exception.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 11:36AM

Only a matter of time before tithing revenues plunge with all the TBM federal workers deprived of their livelihood.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 14, 2019 12:18PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only a matter of time before tithing revenues
> plunge with all the TBM federal workers deprived
> of their livelihood.

Plenty of LDS work for the federal government. Some are very high paying jobs. It will cut into the tithing revenue. The federal government is a huge employer.

As far as getting help from the church goes the local bishop can use fast offerings to help. There might be a lecture on not saving for a rainy day but most bishops are pretty good about helping members and even non-members for a few months. The church is more willing to help with food because they are in the food business and have warehouses full of it. A little less willing to pay rent and utilities.

Date: January 15, 2019 07:51AM

Are fast offerings even still a thing? As the tithes dry up and the membership shrinks, I can't see the fast offerings being a very large pot from which the members have to dip into.

They used to be kept at the ward level where they were collected. For the past 3 decades or so, they go directly to SLC where church leadership has the final say over their disbursement.

Posted by: bearlaker ( )
Date: January 15, 2019 09:57AM

I've never seen them come around to mothers house. She sends a check in every month. <eyeroll>

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.