Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 01:27AM

https://apnews.com/245a0271b2f540338a43809eb5a8e9f7

Some Utah genius thinks it's OK to run a red light if no one else is around, WoW (NOT the Word of Wisdom, ha ha)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 02:21AM

I was once stopped at an intersection in the left turn lane. The lights cycled through twice without giving me a green arrow. It was past midnight and there was no traffic around, so I turned. The signal was obviously malfunctioning. This law is likely being created to address situations like mine.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 03:23AM

There's one intersection that used to be a 3-way intersection where the road ended. About 10-15 years ago, they made the road go through, and continue straight ahead, across the intersection. I guess they forgot to add a green light go straight across the intersection, so I just go straight across on the left turn arrow. I've had people honk at me, and I smile, and wonder how many light changes it will take, before they finally drive across.

(Where Wasatch Blvd crosses 6200 South and becomes Millcreek Drive on the other side.)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 07:46AM

“But, Your Honor, I thought no one was around.”

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 07:54AM

that at a local 4-way stop, she just goes on through if she doesn't see anyone coming.

She has those blonde moments quite often, although she is very intelligent.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 01:21PM

That is a NCNS (no cop, no stop) from when I was in college. Came in handy at 2 in the morning.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 01:17PM

Hull's point re bikes going through red lights is dubious as a bike going through a red light can still injure or kill a pedestrian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2019 01:17PM by matt.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 22, 2019 01:21PM

My super power is the ability to turn all stop signs into yield signs.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 12:50AM

Sounds like NM. Seriously. The number of people who routinely run red lights here is terrifying. Years ago, I was making a left-hand turn at a very intersection. The light was green, and I waited. The driver opposite me was signaling a left turn also (which in itself is a rarity. Using a turn indicator is considered cowardly in some drivers.)

For some reason, as we were both making our left turns, the other driver decided to swing VERY widely, and clipped the tail-end of my car. I was shocked, and immediately turned, to try and make eye contact. The other driver was a young woman who looked annoyed, make a sort of "sheesh!" gesture with her hand, and drove on. I was too stunned to think about getting a license number.

Thirteen hundred bucks, out of a two-grand deductible. . .

Did I mention, I hate driving?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 11:44AM

My brother in NM says that red lights are only a suggestion.

He was stopped at a red light and several cars ran the red light, the sixth car to run the light was t-boned.

The police are totally disgusted with the drunk drivers there. People are charged with multiple DUIs and the judges give them a slap on the hand as they rationalize that the driver is the sole support for the family and it's the family will be the ones to suffer with the driver in jail going through rehab.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 03:47AM

You gotta realize that most everyone in New Mexico (certainly outside of the bigger cities, and most certainly in northern New Mexico) is related to each other SOMEHOW.

P.S. I miss sopaipillas!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2019 03:49AM by Tevai.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 23, 2019 07:55AM

I once saw a bumper sticker that said "If you think Utah liquor laws are funny, you ought to see their underwear".

Posted by: justap ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:40PM

Are you sure Utah isn't full of a bunch of Coloradoans? (Try driving here! LOL)

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 03:38AM

there was a certain major interchange in Salt lake valley where the signal lights on the off ramp would go out of phase with the lights at the intersection under an over pass.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 06:19AM

That wasn't my friend was it?

Two times at night, in the course of a few weeks, usually after shows, in downtown Salt Lake City, in the late eighties, a friend ran a red light. Both times I didn't stop him because I didn't want us to skid into the intersection and be in a wreck. Each time, I looked both ways, and then waited until about mid-intersection before saying "didn't you see that RED light?

Each time he answered "no".
I was concerned about his driving.
ETA: And his Vision!

M@t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2019 11:23PM by moremany.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 04:29PM

There is a difference in running a red light at 40 mph and simply turning left on a red when it simply WON'T change (or is a trap, rigged) forever. I was turning left onto Center Street, from 7th West, stopped for the red light, around midnight, and the light never would turn green.

At this point, at this time of night, ANYTHING you do could be either, acceptable and appropriate, or "illegal", like turning, reversing direction, or even waiting... forever.

So, I Go, and WHAM, the Red White & Blue lights collide with my eyes and I get my blinds ticket. Well, the car did. You see, the car was a gift that summer, and it being a big black1975 Monte Carlo, in Prove, the car couldn't help getting pushed, or pulled, over. The car averaged 1 ticket per month, costing way more than it was worth, to me anyway. Needless to say, I didn't keep it past the summer. It wasn't a family (LOOKING) car.

The car got another ticket one afternoon - on the 4th of July, in fact - traveling up University Ave, and turning right at 4th North, at the (once) 7-11, just before the big ole decrepit school. Ticket man said the car, with it's blinker on, took 2 lanes at once - left to right, to the short turn lane - though I properly turned off the blinker and turned it back on, for that reason. Oh well. Damn car!

One night, a friend and I were leaving the "Cow 'Palace'", going over to my house about 2 blocks away, near 11th East. I was backing out of the parking lot, across 9th East, with the studded snow tires still on in the summer, and 'squealed the tires', which the car did only in reverse.

Getting to my house we realize we may need another blanket. So we go back to the same corner- STOP sign, I stop, right blinker on, we turn right. The inside of the car lit up (and I knew it wasn't us) and so we pulled the car over to get it's ticket. The ticker said "I could ticket you for peeling out in the parking lot back there too". Again, it was the cars fault, but a joy too [especially when you are young (er)], especially when it wouldn't burn rubber going forward.

One more ticket for "speeding" was given the car, attempting to observe the 15 mph Center Street speed limit, where Center turns into the freeway on ramp and you are accelerating to 55 somewhere, somehow - from 15-55 WITHOUT "speeding". So much for that.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.