Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 12:23AM

it may be too late to count for you. It's only a benefit to the spirits of dead people.

One of the things I find fascinating about the temple operation is how most temple-going Mormons seem to forget that after their very first visit to get their own "endowment" work done, NONE of their subsequent visits to participate in the endowment ordinance is for them. They're already done and finished with their own ordinance. Whatever they did, when they did it for and on behalf of their own selves using their own names? Well, that's what they're stuck with for time and all eternity.

But when you hear them talk about their temple visits, they always talk about it in a way that implies that they're repeatedly doing it for themselves. Not the case. They're doing it for dead people. It wasn't you who was humiliated last year by having to take an oath of submission and symbolize this with a veiled face. It was the dead person you were standing in for.

So, temple-going people, remember this. If you did your own endowment work a couple of years ago, IT DOES NOT MATTER FOR YOU that the endowment ceremony that you did for a dead person last week no longer includes the submission part or the veil part. That's for the dead person. You're STUCK with the submission and veiling elements of the ritual that applied TO YOU when you did your own endowment. It's the person who died 500 years ago that you just stood in proxy for who benefits. Under the newly amended ordinance, it is the dead person who does not have to pledge to submit to their husband. It is the dead person who doesn't have to do the "five points of fellowship". It's the dead person who gets the benefit of the Temple-Lite changes. Not you.

Same thing with the penalties. For those who did their own endowment before 1990, YOU ARE STILL ON THE HOOK. You solemnly pledged to submit to disembowelment and throat slitting. The dead person you helped out last week? Nope. They can spill the beans to other spirits without any fear of disembowelment. But you promised to be disemboweled and have your throat slit, right there in the temple in 1985. Remember??? After everything changed in 1990, that was all for the benefit of the dead people and newbies to the temple. NOT YOU!

I seriously don't think the temple-believing, temple-worthy Mormons who are celebrating these changes understand that the changes don't apply to them. It's for the dead people, folks. Unless you're a newbie going through for the first time.

Forgive me for trying to link logic and Mormon temple rituals.

It would just be fun to see the momentary shock on a temple-
going Mormon's face when the logical part of their brain at least momentarily forces them to come face-to-face with the logical implications of their incoherent belief system.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 09:58AM

But then again, they didn't do anything about that ugly hat the men wear.

I didn't so much mind veiling my face (except it kept falling off) until I read here or somewhere else what they told us in the temple, that God can't look on the female's face or something of that sort or we can't look on God's face. How insulting can they be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2019 09:59AM by cl2.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 10:16AM

Speaking of "facing the facts Mormon style," the fact that they *had* to omit yet more inappropriate parts from the ceremony proves the ceremony was deeply flawed in the first place. Even more, it proves Mormon God bows to the will of women--the ones he had been degrading for years. Big Elohim and Harvey Weinstein apparently have much in common?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 11:29AM

"Forgive me for trying to link logic and Mormon temple rituals."

You are forgiven my son (said in Priestly voice.)

The problem is I believe most Mormons don't "get" the temple. Those who do get all into the arcane symbolism and apply meaning to the mason-inspired narrative of tokens in a Biblical theme.

It is more than the mere anachronism of modern people being fascinated with previous centuries fueled "mysteries." The temple is at the height of religious absurdity. Much like Catholics liking to each their "host" and not liking to think that they need to consider that they are chewing the actual flesh of a man.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 11:45AM

Upon opening my mind up to the stories of people leaving Mormonism, it was very liberating to hear that people were uncomfortable with the temple when they first went through the endowment. I think that was revealing, because if one administered a truth serum to TBMs, it seems most of them would also say they were uncomfortable but are afraid to appear spiritually inferior or disobedient.

So, we have all this effort and billions of dollars invested in an enterprise that truth be told most people involved are deeply uncomfortable with!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 12:42PM

But, Wally, I thought my dead’uns had the opportunity to accept or reject the glooooorious blessings which roped them into disemboweling themselves—-all bought, paid and rehearsed by me. I’m pretty sure Mom and Grannie would have said, “Thanks Kathleenika, but don’t waste your money.” Well, Grannie would have turned to Mom and said, “Those damn kids of yours are idiots!”

To be safe though, I just went online and resigned them.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 01:31PM

All these changes lately (not just the temple ones) make me wonder how much Wendy is whispering into Russ's ear all the things she has hated about TSCC and begging him to fix'em.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 03:20PM

If the church was smart, they would add a giant plunger to the exterior of every temple because the entire temple ritual only makes sense if it's floating in a bowl of shit.

I really struggled with the temple nonsense as a member. I was embarrassed that I wasn't feeling one iota more spiritual than a reverent sacrament meeting. I had questions and you couldn't openly discuss it with other members or in meetings back then. I hated that I had been tricked into surrendering my sense of humor~ to this day that's my coping mechanism for dealing with stress.

I hated to hear people brag about all the new light and knowledge from stupid repetitive visits. I hated the whole thing with the changing of robes, sashes, shoes. And of course, the ones running the show apparently were so full of discernment that I was barred 2 times from completing the session because the sash (that they helped me put on) was on the wrong shoulder. Another time, I had to leave the room to use the bathroom and that was it! No coming back--period!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.