Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 03:56PM

Today's D-News story of the death of the missionary in the Dominican Republic;

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900057199/electric-cable-contributed-to-utah-mormon-missionarys-death-church-says.html

Apparently, he touched a power line while up on the roof collecting water. I guess my question is; what the hell are they doing living in area where they have to have to collect water to survive? I know they feed them poorly, malnourished people are easier to program (brainwashing 101), but they have to forage for drinking water? In poor countries with lousy water and sewage systems, the church should have pallets of bottled water for them. How does the church decide who gets to go to countries where dysentery is a national problem? Can you imagine the uproar if Elizabeth Smart died on a mission finding water? This from an estimated 100+ Billion dollar "church"? Dicks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 05:19PM

Beyond horrible.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 05:30PM

Some of them believe that they are being heroes for living in object poverty. They think there is Some Great Reward for denying yourself the basic needs of humanity. Some think that other people living in similar conditions will think "Oh those American missionaries are such good people. They live in the same run-down houses, sanitary-stricken conditions and crime filled slum. Oh that's so admirable! Boy, I want to be like them and join their super church."

That's the spiel that the church sells to them as well as their strict obedience to nonsensical mission rules.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 05:43PM

Does the church carry life insurance policies on them? Payable to the church? A lot of big corporations do. I was shocked to find out that my Fortune 200 company carried life insurance polices on many of us. Payable to them. I wish someone would do some research on missionaries killed, maimed and hospitalized while on their mission. Post it to a public domain and send the link to church members. It's not noble to die while promoting a cult.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 09:04PM

stillanon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the church carry life insurance policies on them? Payable to the church?

Yes, I saw a documentary that Walmart has those on every one of their employees and makes quite a bit from it. :(

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 08:35PM

"His mission companion reported that Conrad had gone to the roof with a bucket to look for water"

WTF?

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 09:08PM

mikemitchell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "His mission companion reported that Conrad had gone to the roof with a bucket to look for water" WTF?

Agreed! Why was water not provided? I see his bright young enthusiastic smile and this is so sad. The family should sue LDS but of course they will be buffaloed not to, it wouldn't bring him back but might ensure others are not put in that position.

Very very sad.

Date: February 23, 2019 09:10PM

Wonder if the Mission President sends his wife up to the roof to look for water.

Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 09:22PM

My husband served in the DR and said it's very very common. There are big water storage tanks on most roofs. Some have piping ran from them to do a gravity-feed thing, but others don't. So, people climb onto the roofs to collect the water.

Whether or not it -should- be allowed in missionary housing is a different story. My husband also lived in housing that had no glass windows, just bars to prevent theft. Power would go out for weeks at a time routinely. It sounds like missionaries there "live like locals." :/

Date: February 23, 2019 09:28PM

Too bad the Deseret News didn't explain that. The church owned newspaper could do better than printing "His mission companion reported that Conrad had gone to the roof with a bucket to look for water".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2019 09:30PM by mikemitchell.

Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: February 23, 2019 10:34PM

I served in the DR...the water comes on and off through the day unscheduled. You either have large bins inside the house to catch water from faucets and some collect it in tanks on the roof. Also, there is virtually no regulation there, so people will hard wire their homes to the power grid and you would see dozens of jimmy rigged wires from each block all tangled up in a web and connected to the main power lines. Very unsafe and i imagine there are many tragic deaths and injuries from citizens just hooking up lines to the over head lines on a whim. Very unsafe. The power goes off and on throughout the day too, likely due to the illegal wires connected all over the city.

So if he got up there and made contact with a live wire and fell, that would not surprise me in the least bit. Its just another day in the DR.

Date: February 24, 2019 07:08AM

Now you got me curious. What kind of mansion did the mission president and his wife live in?

Posted by: Darksparks ( )
Date: February 24, 2019 08:08AM

I was a missionary in the Philippines. Our mission president lived in an air conditioned home with an indoor swimming pool. The pool, suposedly was so people could be baptized there. There was only one chapel in the entire country at the time, and I think that they must have used it for baptisms too.

One “apartment” that I lived in had only rain water. The rainwater collected on the roof in barrels. The barrel feeding our shower had no cover on it, so it was exposed to the tropical sun every day. After only a few weeks, our shower water would turn green from the algae growth on it. So we had to go up on the roof to clean the tank. We called it ‘legalized swimming’ because we were not allowed to swim.

I stayed up there for only a short time once and got a terrible sunburn. Sure enough the Zone Leaders showed up the next day wondering how we got so sunburned. I invited them to go take a green shower...lol.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.