Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 11:24AM

I just did a check on the global population. It is currently at 7.5 billion and the annual growth rate is 1.2%. To put that in numbers, that is 90 million people added annually.

We know the church likes to tout 16 million members, but many of us know that number is not true. The true number for active members is likely under 10 million, perhaps its half of that.

So just by normalized population growth, the church continues to be a smaller and smaller number in the big picture scheme of mortals on the planet.

That had been one of the things that caused my shelf to fall. The idea that a perfect, all-knowing, all-powerful God had a gospel plan that failed to influence even 1% of his people. I thought, how could this "perfect" plan of salvation touch so few people? Does every member in good standing truly have to go to the temple and do the work for 1,000 people? What a horribly flawed plan.

But never fear...the board members, er "prophets" and "seers" will tell the world this spring about the amazing growth the church is experiencing. Meanwhile, we know its a farce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 11:25AM by alaskawild.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 12:43PM

I think temple attendance is a better metric. TSCC would like to present the best possible statistics, which are derived from membership records.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 01:56PM

ChurchCo will always be grounded in their reference to the IMW.

I count NV, WY, UT, ID, AZ as IMW with some spillover in MT & CO. NM? not so much, ha ha.

they have moderate to good influence in the IMW, with some side effects in Cali, lesser in OR,WA.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 02:32PM

There is probably no more than 6 million members that go to church frequently. Probably 20% of that group are on pathways heading out of the church.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 02:37PM

And global population growth is slowing. ChurchCo's "growth" rate isn't even keeping apace with the decline.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 02:44PM

My metro area 1.5 million. My ward supposedly had 300 families as members, around 100 came to services. Percentage of population that belongs to TSCC = miniscule.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 02:46PM

and, even ChurchCo families are getting smaller.

Declining birth rates & older marriage ages Aren't what ChurchCo thrives on, > more 'volunteers' needed, more unpaid work being done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 03:34PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.