Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 01, 2019 10:10PM

This applies to mostly Salt Lake residents but just shows you how the church loves to control.
There’s a guy in Salt Lake City who’s been a radio announcer/producer here in town, plus he’s a regular at a local playhouse with acting and producing chores.

He went to high school with my kids, my son (his wife) my daughter (her ex) and was friendly with all of them, and now is Facebook friendly. My daughter-in-laws class had their 20th class anniversary this last year and he was on the organizing committee with her.

He’s an RM but is divorced and dating now. He’s also a a true red-headed ginger with hair and beard.

He’s worked for this radio station for I think they said 13 years and a week ago, he announced that he was leaving the station to go to work for KBYU radio, as a host/producer there also. (oh, he’ll hate the drive to Provo).

He was there 2 days and showed up on Instagram with his beard all shaved off. As far as I know he’s had it for a long time and now it’s gone. He didn’t say much about it but he looks way different without it and his red hair and complexion look odd without it. He did make reference that he was told he couldn’t have a beard at BYU. So, I hope his salary makes all the difference in the world for him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 01, 2019 11:43PM

He may be asking himself if it was worth it or not, giving up his beard for that job.

Time will tell. Sounds like he was ready for a change.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 08:33AM

Being that I hate beards, I am not qualified to comment on this thread.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 12:28PM

Your personality disorder duly noted, Dave. :)

3X (50-year member of the Brotherhood of the Beard.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 09:51AM

A radio producer with red hair should look like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top. I wonder if the HC is designed to make Mormons accustomed to nit picky control of their lives. And to turn them into stool pigeons.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 10:18AM

There was an investigator in the ward, a guy in his 60s, with a beautiful Santa-grade beard. He decided he wanted to join the church and they made him shave before they'd baptize him. He was unrecognizable afterward.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 01:15PM

Even within Mormonism, that's ridiculous. People with beards can be baptized. Somebody in that stake didn't realize that even most Mormons have figured out that you don't take Mormon control-freakishness to its logical conclusion.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 02, 2019 12:41PM

The control is outrageous. They may as well make you wear special underwear.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 10:44AM

That's an expensive beard.
Has couldn't afford it any longer.

BYU/ Morbidism shaves off more than your beard, including your morality, judgement, free-agency...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 10:48AM

It's surprising they don't make women cut their hair - oh but they do it anyway. What a shame, and a sham.

A Releaf Society-

At least they're out planting trees. lol

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 01:05PM

"He’s an RM but is divorced and dating now."

IS this when his beard went? :)

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 10:48PM

I was up in Zion for a couple of weeks, and in a grocery store one of the checkers struck up a conversation with me and it ended up that I had spent a lot of time in the country where she had served a mission. She let me know she thought the whole thing was a crock - this seems kind of brave in the community we were in. I asked how she felt confident it was OK to share her exmo testimony and she said "the minute I saw that California beard, I knew you weren't a Nazi mormon and probably were an exmo or non-mo. Went home and looked at the mirror in disbelief. Where I live nobody notices my beard except to think I look a little dated, like a refugee from a 90s alt-rock band. I asked my wife about this and she said "yeah mormon women really notice beards- they are potent symbols of freedom - to be avoided."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.