Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sahasrala ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 12:07PM

Did any of you ever borrow, or let someone borrow, a temple recommend?

I attended my brother's temple wedding after I had left the church, simply by borrowing a temple recommend and going through the baptism entrance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 12:33PM

No.

Haven't you ever heard of spiritual discernment that the PH holders use?

-Duh!

Between this thread and the other one about why it's good for LDS Corp to deny people the right to go to the temple, makes you look like an apologist.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2206337,2206591#msg-2206591

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 12:35PM by messygoop.

Date: March 18, 2019 12:50PM

In what way, exactly?

I denounce mormonism.

I denounce Joseph Smith.

I denounce all religion.

I think some posters just get emotional when the echo chamber is threatened.

Most of us are actually interested in sharing different perspectives, though.

Appreciate you being open-minded to other opinions and not trying to shut down other voices by marginalizing them with loaded words like apologist. :)

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 12:13AM

Sahasrala Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think some posters just get emotional when the
> echo chamber is threatened.
>
> Most of us are actually interested in sharing
> different perspectives, though.
>
> Appreciate you being open-minded to other opinions
> and not trying to shut down other voices by
> marginalizing them with loaded words like
> apologist. :)

Your username is (to my knowledge) new to this board, so you may not realize that this board is about recovery FROM Mormonism.

The "Guidelines-Feb. 2017," at the top of the board, are clear about the prohibition against Mormon apologetics, as well as proselytizing of any kind.

Apologist is not a "loaded word," it is a technical term which refers to many people who visit here over any given year.

If you are here to support Mormonism or your understanding of Mormonism, you would very likely feel more comfortable elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 01:14AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 12:50PM

Someday they're gonna require your thumbrint or retina image to gain access.

It's only right. ")

Just wait til the Thought Police come along.

Then no one will be allowed admittance. Cause no one's thoughts will be pure enough!

Date: March 18, 2019 12:57PM

So true!!

Sometimes I think my thoughts aren't pure enough for RfM.

The thought police come out in force here anytime someone says anything good about organized religion, or god, or dare point out that some threads are just reaching when it comes to criticizing the church.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 01:00PM

BUT you are concerned about the thought police and attitudes about organized religion. Myself, I'd never go so far as to borrow someone's TR to go to the LDS temple. I think that is over the top personally. I stood outside 6 weeks ago when my daughter got married. I didn't try to cheat my way inside.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 12:38AM

Sahasrala Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So true!!
>
> Sometimes I think my thoughts aren't pure enough
> for RfM.

RfM has the most intellectually diverse membership of any board I am aware of. When I happened by here more than fifteen years ago, as the result of a Google search, I was astounded by the intelligence, the knowledge, and the creativity I found here--which is why I, a nevermo, am still here.

> The thought police come out in force here anytime
> someone says anything good about organized
> religion....

There are many statements made on RfM throughout any year which recognize the good of many different organized religions around the world.

> or god....

The existence of "a" god, or of gods, is a religious view. Many people here believe in either "a" god or gods (plural), and say so, but they are explaining, rather than pushing, their personal religious beliefs.

> or dare point out that some
> threads are just reaching when it comes to
> criticizing the church.

On a board composed of EX-Mormons (as well as those who are thinking about leaving the LDS church), criticizing the LDS church is valid and is (in no small measure) the reason why this board exists--to provide people a chance to vent their hurts, their frustrations, their confusions, and the experiences which have been injurious to them, or to their family members, or their friends or neighbors or other associates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 01:10AM by Tevai.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 01:05PM

I did, but only to prove a point.

Even though I live in Seattle, I couldn't go there, because I'd be recognized, so I drove to Portland and went through a random session. lol, i was a little late to the last one and they actually held the session FOR ME.

It was really interesting to go "through a session" 4 years out of mormonism.

Date: March 18, 2019 01:08PM

That's awesome. Had they made significant changes since you'd last been? Or was it pretty much the same?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 02:28PM

It was the same, but I really watched people.

The sisters looked miserable.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 01:33PM

The temple always gave me the creeps. I love not feeling that pressure to go. I actually like being the relative that can't enter the temple.

I have OCD and I think all that temple hocus pocus triggers it. I really don't like rituals period.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 01:37PM

I wouldn't want someone to think that I was tacitly supporting Mormon beliefs by being at one of their temple ceremonies. I'm not particularly vocal about my lack of faith but it's also not a secret. In addition I wouldn't want my children to witness me acting in a fraudulent manner. Both in pretending to believe something that I don't and conning the temple into admitting me. I'm not saying that someone shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that I won't do it.

Date: March 18, 2019 02:01PM

I don't believe it's for a "lack of faith" you don't believe in cult rituals. It may be because of faith you choose not to believe blindly what others accept on blind faith.

The last time I set foot inside a temple was in the St George temple in 2017, in the foyer waiting area, while someone was looking for some family documents that turned out not to exist in the records section.

I was sitting next to the revolving doors where TR holders were coming and going in mid-morning. People were milling around in their white temple attire who weren't coming in from the street to change clothes. They were all speaking in whispers. It felt and looked really creepy to me. I didn't feel anything sacred or holy about being in that space while I waited.

The temple president came to me after a very long wait to say they hadn't found anything on my ancestors who'd been married in that temple. No records whatsoever. I'd been sent there by Salt Lake City, and it turned out their sealing records were on file w/SLC nonetheless (from the late 19th century.) He looked at me suspiciously and with paranoia because I wasn't LDS. I found that both strange and odd, since I had been sent there for those records by someone in Salt Lake who'd told me that I'd be able to look for them myself without a recommend.

It was another red flag to me that no matter how they try to masquerade themselves to the world, TSCC is still a C-U-L-T.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 02:36PM

Look if you really want to screw over the church, then start teaching the youth that it's perfectly fine and normal to have an inclusive wedding (for all to see and participate) wait a year and then go for a temple sealing if they want one. That would do more for family harmony than a silly temple wedding that excludes even active members (under 18).

I went through 4 temple weddings (including my own) and every one was unmemorable, bland and stale. I really wish that I had done a real ceremony for everyone to see and enjoy.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 02:55PM

Cookie cutter weddings? Forget about adding your own touch, like a special poem or anything

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 02:53PM

I never had a temple recommend, so I don’t know what they look like. I never thought of letting someone use yours. What’s on a recommend? I thought that It’d have your picture, birthdate, weight, height, maybe other info, so creeps ( unworthys) can’t sneak in, doing this very thing

Date: March 19, 2019 12:28PM

I wouldn't want to, nor have a desire to.

I'm happy to be free of the Mormon underwear and have to go through those worthiness interviews for sexual purity; word of wisdom and all that crap.

OM gosh. What a crock it all is. My parents bought into that, and as I look back on our family life did nothing to improve it. I believe those temple rituals were akin to a wrecking ball. Especially the slitting the throat oaths they made each time they went. Oya vey. And the total lack of privacy and bodily invasion they had to submit to by total strangers during the proxy ceremonies for dead people.

Ugh and ugh.

My mom and dad cussed like sailors even during their temple going years. I still don't know how they pulled that one off. They paid their tithes, but drank pepsi and coca-cola like they had bottomless sieves. My mom was addicted to painkillers. And my dad loved the booze. One of my TBM brothers (now deceased,) used to tell me he'd find dad's stash of bottles hidden on our farm where only dad could find them when he thought no one else was looking. Dad was a 5th generation born Mormon. The alcohol gene was in his DNA, and his brothers, his mother, maybe even his dad. It was passed down generationally. Early Mormons drank alcohol, tea and coffee and still had temple recommends.

Dad told me it wasn't until the 1940's that TSCC cracked down on that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 12:29PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 06:33AM

Once I knew that Mormonism was false I did not want to go inside a temple anymore. My need to resign was very strong. I have resigned in 2013 and very glad that I did.

The power of discernment is no there.

It is a waste of time going to the temple as the lds church is false. I don't want to appear Mormon or play their games. I am not in Utah so it is probably easier for me. Each their own in my opinion the church must be hurting that's why they made so many changes lately.

- 2 hour church
- women don't need to vail their face's in the temple anymore
- shorter temple movies
- younger mission ages
- no more home teaching
- no more boyscouts
- they stopped pushing members to homeschool

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.