Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 11:57AM

This is definitely an idealist notion. However, just imagine what could be done if all the resources spent on sustaining myths was spent on improving the lot of humankind.

If all of these resources:

1. The 50,000 human-years wasted each year on Mormon missionary work

2. The hundreds of thousands of hours spent in seminary, institute, and religion classes

3. The millions of hours spent in Madrasas studying Islam

4. The millions of hours spent preparing sacrament meeting talks, Sunday School, and Primary lessons

5. The time spent participating in temple ceremonies

6. The hours spent studying the Torah and Talmud

7. The billions upon billions of dollars spent each year to further the work of Mormonism, Islam, Christianity, and Judaism

...could be used for purposes such as these:

1. Professorships in chemistry, mathematics, physics, medicine, the arts, etc

2. Working on a cure for cancer and other diseases

3. Space exploration

4. Energy research

5. Building schools and universities

6. Scholarships and universal education

7. Improved water and food supplies

8. High speed internet communications

In short over the course of decades we are spending trillions of dollars and hundreds of millions of lifetimes on what are nothing more than empty dreams of the ancients.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HomelessTraveler ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 08:01PM

I think about this often. I look at my TBM family and the local Momo's filling their lives with endless church activities and their heads with LDS-skewed 'knowledge' and I can't help but pity them. They're wasting all that time on silly lies when they could be doing things that greatly benefit society in general.

Poor fools.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:07AM

Time spent with your kids is lost, relationships are damaged by temple rules, kids suffer on a lower income than necessary, sometimes even missing out on a college education, grandparents aren't available for their grandchildren because of missions and church work responsibilities etc.

One of my friends recently had a daughter come home from a mission in Europe. She wasn't able to talk to her daughter for 18 months, except on Christmas and Mother's day. She missed her dreadfully and posted on Facebook pictures of her daughter's homecoming. The look on my friend's face nearly killed me - that crying but happy look- because I saw how much both had sacrifice for the mission and for what? NOTHING. That time together lost forever. That's the real loss.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:14AM

If all that time, money and energy were to be funneled, instead, into the overall betterment of humankind, the world would be a much nicer place.

And we would all be on the same "side," so there wouldn't be any need for war and its added destruction.

Aw, Jeez - don't get me started. You can always spot a Flower Child, no matter how old they get. . ."Make Love, Not War"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.