Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:26PM

It's the veggie burger that tastes like meat.
I want this !

And I don't want to hear any vegans gloating about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=63FHZy_7-qs

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:52PM

This is likely a really important development, and on a number of levels.

Meat analogs (which is what, collectively, vegetarian "meat" substitutes are called) are often a really important part of a new vegetarian's transition away from meat.

When I became vegetarian (over thirty years ago), I probably went through most of the different meat analogs ("sausage," "hamburger," "bacon," etc.), as I gradually developed my own, personally preferred, version of vegetarian food.

Like probably most vegetarians, I was happy the meat analogs were there when I needed them, but I, gradually, left them behind.

This product (in its various forms) seems to be much more geared to the entire spectrum of food consumers (not just vegetarians or aspiring vegetarians), and it is likely to be a great success--especially when the positive effects on our environment become well known, because this new generation of meat analogs will likely (over time) result in major magnitude benefits for the planet.

[Disclosure: Although I am fairly close to 100% vegetarian in the foods I eat, I do take some nutritional supplements which are not vegetarian.]

Thanks, Dave!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2019 02:48PM by Tevai.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:53PM

I had it. It's pretty good. Couldn't really tell the difference between hamburger and the Impossible.

A number of burger shops in the Salt Lake valley carry them. Apollo, Astro, etc. https://impossiblefoods.com/locations/

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 02:55PM

Version 2.0 is incredibly delicious.

It's actually so close to the real thing that my vegetarian DW who hasn't eaten meat in over ten years had an initial "ick" reaction when she chomped down for the first time.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 03:48PM

I've been in places where the tap water had a high sulphur content. The SE USA used to have a lot of sulphur, don't know if it still does. Anyway, the taste was pretty unpleasant to me.

I've also been in places where the groundwater has high iron content (Minnesota iron range). Iron discolors toilet bowls, and does nasty things to laundry, but the taste of iron, while odd, and quite distinctive, is not unpleasant, at least not to me.

Once, as an adult, I managed to gouge myself pretty good, and licked what was probably a quarter tsp. of blood off my arm to keep from dripping on stuff, and clearly recognized the distinctive taste of iron. I had tasted blood before as a child, but had never realized that it was iron that was the main component of the taste. It is also iron that gives blood, and the red sandstone of Utah, most of its color. You also get a tiny hint of iron flavor from cast iron pans.

Anyway, the Impossible Burger includes the heme protein, which contains iron, and which gives meat, beef in particular, its distinctive color and flavor. I haven't tried it yet, though I plan to.

I think we are getting very close to entering a brave new world, where we will be able, for instance, to grow chicken meat without growing an entire chicken, or make meat from plant products that is nearly indistinguishable from "real" meat. It will be interesting to see how vegetarians/vegans deal with that. For that matter, it will be interesting to see how we all deal with it. Meat has a very iconic place in our culture, for everyone, both users and abstainers. I can't even guess how these changes will play out in our cultures.

Posted by: abc ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 05:02PM

Impossible Burger actually is very good meat replacement and another one is 'Beyond Meat' you can find at Carl's Jr - not bad at all

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:49PM

So here's a story about the "Impossible/Beyond burger.

https://www.gmoscience.org/impossible-burger-boon-risk-health-environment/?fbclid=IwAR2p55S-AQh86qzczn1MRSLY7eDR4kWJoxTnYRpLGPtgn5VGRTdGhUnWkFc

The article gives a good synopsis.

BTW its made from GMOs!

I'll stick to grilled cheese, Dennis

Date: April 07, 2019 07:03PM

Everything you eat is GMO. The claims that this is bad for you have no scientific evidence.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:11PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everything you eat is GMO. The claims that this
> is bad for you have no scientific evidence.

Right, you can't get away from it. Thanks Monsanto (the evil lords of GMO seeds and cancer causing Roundup!).

Date: April 07, 2019 08:18PM

So if I eat an impossible burger I will get cancer ?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 09:09PM

A dog is a GMO wolf. The only difference is now we can do GMO faster.

And the ag belts of the US (CA, FL, entire northern Plains, TX) all have above average lifespans, so Roundup appears to be not very good at causing cancer, though it probably beats wind turbines.
https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-center/lifestyle/life-expectancy-by-state-in-the-us/

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:35PM

Tevai,

I’m with you on avoiding the old foods that have substitutes. It worked out better for me the way it sounds like you got to, to just develop completely different foods.

My store has started selling bags of tiny chopped cubes of brocolli stalks. I mix them into my (wheat-free) corn muffin batter and they add fiber and just melt into being a very moist muffin. I used to shred zucchini into it but the brocolli cooks better and the bags save me having to shred.

Stuff like that. Always happy if an experiment works. :)

Date: April 07, 2019 08:42PM

Fiber ? I eat so much fiber that I pass wicker furniture.

Date: April 07, 2019 09:07PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> Fiber ? I eat so much fiber that I pass wicker
> furniture.

Oh my! I’ve been needing some new patio furniture! Guess I better up my game!!!

Posted by: Vegan Ex-Mo ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:38PM

The company claims this:

"The carbon footprint of the latest Impossible Burger recipe is 89% smaller than a burger made from real beef, according to a science-based life cycle assessment released by the company this week."

Hope that's true. I'm a vegan, but eat meat substitutes like this as an occasional treat--they are processed foods. I'm glad to see them on the menu, but for the most part I'm better off with plant-based whole foods for healthy reasons specific to me.

We could really have fun with the question of whether most Mormons follow the Word of Wisdom beyond avoiding booze, coffee, and tea, but that's fun for another day.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 03:04PM

I've never known One. Single. Mormon. that EVER followed the so-called "word of wisdom". Not a single one.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 03:26PM

Meat or no Meat,
I like to meet!

Date: April 09, 2019 07:33PM

moremany Wrote:
> Meat or no Meat,
> I like to meet!

Welcome back, Matt! Hope your move went smoothly!

Date: April 11, 2019 12:26AM

mel Wrote: -------
> moremany Wrote: > -----
> >
>
> Welcome back, M@t! Hope your move went smoothly!

No movement, yet, Mel-thanks. Just periodic travel, for work, and forplay.

One should always get back to their roots. I never rooted much in Miss. Trying different routes.

I left Mormonism in Mississippi...lol- and I hope it stays there! I visit from time to time, once for a long time. The visits now grow shorter, and sweeter. Thanks for asking, and the good wishes.

Maybe someday I'll move for good. Right now it's just for bad. You can take the boy out of the South but not the South out of the boy. I'll remain in touch as I gather hither and thither.

Drive on!

Date: April 11, 2019 07:05PM

moremany Wrote:
> I left Mormonism in Mississippi...lol- and I hope it stays there!

Hahah! Good! and happy travels!

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 04:29PM

If they can pull it off, good for them.

I love meat but I'd rather not eat animals if possible. So I wish them success.

Date: April 11, 2019 12:38AM

So do I, Elyse.
So do I.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 12:36AM

I have a strict vegetarian diet. I only eat any animal that is vegetarian!

And I've been working on meat recipes that almost taste like the Impossible burger.

And the relevance this subject has to this site is????

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 12:43AM

Alan XL Wrote:

>
> And the relevance this subject
> has to this site is????
>

... In the eye of the beholder.

Date: April 11, 2019 07:07PM

Alan XL Wrote:
> And the relevance this subject has to this site is????

Alan, if you check the guidelines you will see that within certain parameters, off-topic posts are allowed. This post was properly labeled off-topic (OT) in the subject line as required, and also is on a permissible subject.

Anytime you don't want to read an off-topic post, just skip any like this one which are labeled O/T.

:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.