Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:52PM

And I quote:

"Hey Russell, round up the other 14 asshats and go heal all the kids with cancer at Primary Children's Hospital. It's like a 5 minute drive from your office.

"Either 1) you can't, and you're full of shit, or 2) you won't, and you're evil."

Now I can see one way out: He, ghawd, is testing us!

Cancer is just ghawd's way of showing us how powerless we are without his help. Used to be that way with polio and whooping cough, etc., but in his mercy he allowed scientists to figure those diseases out for themselves. what a guy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nolongerangry ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 05:54PM

My dad got cancer. I asked him if all his praying and tithing paying helped him. He could not come up with a sufficient answer to his getting cancer and being a TBM. I told him the other day that I am purposely not going to his funeral, and he did not believe me.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 06:05PM

Hedning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

I agree 100% with this.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 07:00PM

I agree, too.

You have your whole life ahead without him. It's probably best to mourn your loss, even if it is the loss of what might have been. Most of us are better off if we ultimately reconcile with our own pasts.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 09:54PM

nolongerangry Wrote:
> My dad got cancer. I asked him if all his praying
> and tithing paying helped him. He could not come
> up with a sufficient answer to his getting cancer
> and being a TBM. I told him the other day that I
> am purposely not going to his funeral, and he did
> not believe me.

What was the point of telling him that? He picked the wrong answer so he loses your attendance at his funeral? How will
that prove anything other than you have tantrums when people don't say the right thing to you? Yeah thats gonna really show him.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 07:09PM

All of the above. Can't AND Won't. Full of shit AND Evil.

Could make the news. Can't run the risk of having everyone realize the magic potion--olive oil--doesn't work except on pasta with garlic and basil and a bit of fresh grated reggiano.

And this testing thing. Really nice wonderful people get cancer and all sorts of awful things. What is the test for? The Job thing all over again with Heavenly Father betting against Lucifer? I guess they got tired of the boils and thought cancer would be more fun. Somebody needs to get them some video games---stat.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 07:11PM

"go heal all the kids with cancer at Primary Children's Hospital" ~

it would be nice it they did that ~

do you think they will go do that OPie ? ~

in b 4 ~ if they did ~

that woould be nice ~

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 08:11PM

I would be happy to see them do anything to justify taking up space on this planet.

Posted by: honklermaga ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 08:19PM

Just curious: what other exmo board was it? How does it compare to this one in terms of speech restrictions? (No shade on RfM, just asking)

Posted by: logged out (nli) ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 08:26PM

Exmormon reddit. Off-topic posts are not permitted there. And it generally leans even more left than this one does.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 12:25AM

Left ? What does that mean ?

Date: May 17, 2019 01:59AM

logged out (nli) Wrote:
> Exmormon reddit. . . generally leans even more left than
> this one does.

It's confusing, isn't it? The predominance of liberals and similar scoundrels at the other ex-Mormon sites almost makes it seem like RfM is centrist or even a bit to the right on the American political spectrum.

But that can't be true. . .

Date: May 17, 2019 04:08PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> logged out (nli) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Exmormon reddit. . . generally leans even more
> left than
> > this one does.
>
> It's confusing, isn't it? The predominance of
> liberals and similar scoundrels at the other
> ex-Mormon sites almost makes it seem like RfM is
> centrist or even a bit to the right on the
> American political spectrum.
>
> But that can't be true. . .

Hahahahahaahahahahhaha. Have I told you lately that I love you Lottie?

Date: May 17, 2019 07:14PM

And I love you too, Saucie!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 08:57PM

God must have told Rusty not to bother saving Gordo as John D Lee had waited long enough to set him straight on a few details which the Hickster had so clumsily attempted to re-bury.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 09:23PM

God has already answered this.

The 14th chapter of Alma has Alma and Amulek watching women and children being burned alive because of their faith.

Amulek wants to use the priesthood to destroy the evil men burning the saints.

But....Alma says "The spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth my hand."

See.... they already have a scriptural answer.

Date: May 16, 2019 09:34PM

Yeah... in the mission field we had to get permission from the MP before we could shake the dust from our heels. I don't know of anyone who ever asked, much less got that permission.

Kind of awesome though, walking around with nuclear power in my shoes.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 09:54PM

The cover stories about above ground testing were very convincing. TBM be like, “I did not know that!”.

Date: May 17, 2019 09:56PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Yeah... in the mission field we had to get
> permission from the MP before we could shake the
> dust from our heels. I don't know of anyone who
> ever asked, much less got that permission.
>
> Kind of awesome though, walking around with
> nuclear power in my shoes.

Plus it explains your glow in the dark socks. Just kidding folks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 09:59PM by saucie.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 09:36PM

Heartless Wrote:
>they already have a scriptural answer.

They have an answer for absolutely everything. Or they think they do anyway.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 16, 2019 09:40PM

Heartless Wrote:
> God has already answered this.
>
> The 14th chapter of Alma has Alma and Amulek
> watching women and children being burned alive
> because of their faith.
>
> Amulek wants to use the priesthood to destroy the
> evil men burning the saints.
>
> But....Alma says "The spirit constraineth me that
> I must not stretch forth my hand."

One of the things I have been doing lately, in the longer-than-I-thought-it-would-be quest to get to the next part of my creative life, is researching Sephardi history around the time of the Spanish and Portuguese Inquisitions--during both of which, Spanish and Portuguese Jews (or Christians thought to be Jews, because they had been tortured into giving confessions of their supposed apostasy), WERE burned to death--as part of a joyous, fiesta-type day for the Christian population.

For Jews, this "burning alive people to death" thing is very real, and feels very personal.

Maybe the author of Alma (I have no idea who the author is--Joseph Smith??) was, at least subliminally, reminiscing nostalgically about the "Good ol' Days," when "burning people to death" was a fresh opportunity for a previously unplanned fiesta day, somewhere on the Iberian Peninsula?

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 02:29PM

This was multiple lifetimes ago but I played a gig of sephardic music at either the cabildo or the presbytere on Jackson square in New Orleans. The event, some time in the mid 80s, was the opening of an exhibit on the sephardic diaspora. I believe it would have been curated by the Louisiana State Museum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2019 02:36PM by siobhan.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 04:30AM

...I just don't feel like using them right now. And it's not right to show off.

I mean, I would use them, you know, if I really needed to. But this is not one of those times.

Most importantly, it would be wrong to use my superpowers just to satisfy other people's curiosity or just to "prove" to others that I have them. Trust me. I do have them. Whooo boy! Do I ever have big, big superpowers. But I don't have superpowers to entertain people, as though I were a carnival act. That would only cheapen the deep and profound meaning and sacredness of my superpowers.

Sometimes you need to know when something that you don't like is happening for a reason that you can't appreciate now, but will understand later to be a valuable learning experience. It hurts me more than the people who are hurting when I have to control my urge to use my superpowers to stop their hurting. I could stop their hurting with a snap of my fingers. Of course I could! But that would defeat the bigger purposes and opportunity for spiritual growth that they have been given in the form of special challenges....

Well, I think that should just about cover it.

We all know that, just like me, the Mormon Prophet and Apostles have super amazing POWER, AUTHORITY and KEYS to perform all manner of miracles. They're just holding back because that's how great they are.

What's the use of having superpowers if you never use them? Is that what you're asking???

They don't never use them. Have you already forgotten how they changed the 3-hour meeting block to a 2-hour meeting block? How could they do something like that if they didn't have amazing superpowers and authority and gifts of revelation and inspiration that they received directly from God? No ordinary human could ever change long-established meeting policies. Shortening the time spent in church in meetings involves the manipulation of time itself. They're like Time Lords!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 10:22AM

So-- biting wit and truth with devilish humor IS a super power!

Posted by: logged out (nli) ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 12:42PM

Well of course they USE their superpowers. It's just whenever they do, it's "too sacred to share." And you never hear of the beneficiaries of these superpowers telling anyone, even though it would give the church some incredible PR and cause people to flock to it. It's like they signed an NDA or something, and we know how big the church is on NDAs…

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 08:50AM

And they really do have super powers... how could a group of old white grifters convince millions of people that the TSCC is The "true church" and they do have magic healing powers and underwear... if in fact they didn't have super powers?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 11:23AM

They've got this covered and ironically from their book.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/sign-seekers?lang=eng

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 11:38AM

I've read the New Testament several times. It seems to me that Jesus healed everybody who came to him--no questions asked.

Maybe some of the "plain and precious" parts of the Bible that are missing are the times that Jesus said things like:

"you need this test of your faith, so no healing for you."
"it would mess with my divine plan in a way that you can't understand if your illness was miraculously taken away."
"I can't do public displays of my power because it's too sacred."

Date: May 17, 2019 11:40AM

The apostles could disguise themselves!

Date: May 17, 2019 01:57PM

Like The Three Nephites?

Date: May 17, 2019 02:22PM

You're kidding, right? Anyone who knows what a tire iron is can penetrate the disguises used by Los Tres Nefitas!

Date: May 17, 2019 04:14PM

Why would devout Mormons need to know what a tire iron was?

Date: May 17, 2019 06:10PM

Well of course they wouldn't!! That's the whole point of Jesus leaving the Three Nephites here to await his return.

I'm simply saying that if the DID know what a tire iron looked like, then they'd be able to figure that each of three guys carrying one was a Wandering Joe (from the tribe of Joseph).

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: May 17, 2019 06:50PM

The sick don't have enough faith to be healed.

If they had more faith they would realize that it's wrong to
tempt God's chosen to perform miracles.

Mormonism's Catch 22.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.