Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 09:42PM

It's agreed that not all stake presidents have their own Calling And Election Made Sure, there are too many of them for that.

But one SP introduced a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Opossums during a conference this week (don't know if I should reveal his name for now) and mentioned that he and the apostle had first met years ago, IOW, they know each other.

Now Tom Phillips was just a lowly SP when he got his own 2A. We know that among the ways one rises in the ranks of the church, besides nepotism and tithing, is establishing friendships with others. A thought just occurred to me: since this particular SP, though he is a nice and pleasant guy, is deeply TBM and seems to have a zonkified look on his face as if he's seriously indoctrinated........could he have received his own Second Anointing?

All apostles have authority to suggest and conduct 2As for anyone, am I right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 10:00PM

No way to know for sure.

I've met a number of people who, I'm pretty sure, had the second anointing. E.g., temple presidency members, GAs, stake patriarchs, and similar people who claim the ability to "bind" and "seal" in heaven. But I've never met anyone who would acknowledge having received the so-called ordinance.

One further comment: lots of people in church leadership know each other and have known each other for a long time. It's how they get the "good" callings.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 20, 2019 11:43PM

In the seventies there was a rash of Stake Presidents in south davis county who owned car dealerships, there was also a trend towards stake presidents running off to mexico with there nubile, young asistants.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 12:54AM

Aloysius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No way to know for sure.

Unless a person pals around with them for a long time, until they spilled the beans. Admitting that is a gamble in waiting for it to to happen. But getting to assert such supposedly unassailable authority/ privilege, in some way, is a big part of the thrill.

> I've met a number of people who, I'm pretty sure,
> had the second anointing. E.g., temple presidency
> members, GAs, stake patriarchs, and similar people
> who claim the ability to "bind" and "seal" in
> heaven. But I've never met anyone who would
> acknowledge having received the so-called
> ordinance.

There is a reason for that.

In a conventional Christian context it is called blasphemy, something that MORmONS dodge/avoid by not openly talking about it while throwing it around in tight MORmON circles that are to be secret from outsiders.

In any conventional social /psychology context it is called being a self important mental case.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 01:21AM

as a newly returned missionary, one of my converts came to visit me. We went on a trip together. On our trip, we drove past the Idaho Falls temple. As a great convert, He wanted to "score" attending that temple, just as he wanted to attend as many MORmON temples as possible.

Turns out that I had foreseen such a thing and left my recommend home in order to avoid going to the temple again, since I actually hated the MORmON temple.

I guess that I am telling on myself, that I was not REALLY a very good MORmON. and at this point I am very thankful for that !!!!

Coming back on our trip, we ended up driving past the IF temple again, and my convert prevailed in persuading me into going to the temple. A call to my SP let me go with out having my rec on me. Afterward, the temp pres wanted to see me.

STUPID ASS MORmON me, I figured it could only be because the TP wanted to congratulate me for attending the temple with my convert.

After I went into his office the TP got really nasty with me. for not wearing a white shirt and tie as I entered the temple that day. STUPID ASS MORmON ME, I told the truth. I told the TP that I did not even want to attend the temple that day. His super arrogant MORmON response was getting even nastier with me , for being so defective, for not wanting to attend the temple.

As an RM I was having a hard time anyway. I had sacrificed a
lot to get a convert for the fecal matter MORmON church. The temple president's nasty comments came at a very bad time for me and they were very hurtful to me. THAT was my MORmON "thanks" for putting THE (MORmON) church first.

It is NOT possible for me to overstate how nasty and vicious that the TP was to me, after I had done so much for THE (MORmON) church at such high personal cost. I have often times contemplated how an older man could be SO ARROGANT in being SO NASTY and so VICIOUS to a vulnerable person OBVIOUSLY undergoing such a hard.

I have finally come to THE answer that the TP was a MORmON who had the Second anointing.

That POS can ESAD. I am going to name names. since he is long dead by now and since he was so VILE about the entire thing. Devere Harris.

Oh! BTW, Have it your MORmON way, MORmONS!!! Me and my convert will NEVER taint the halls of any Hell house MORmON temple again. Hope you are happy about that, MORmONS !!!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 10:33AM

I agree with Shummy. Don't ever change how you write mormon.

I was treated by some leaders like you state. Boyd Packer was one (though in letter form). Worst letter I've ever received. I was so embarrassed by it, I only showed a few, not even my ex (who the letter was about before I married him). Some people did read it. I burned the thing. My dad told me he'd take out a page ad in the SLT if I had kept it. I wish I had. Oh, how I wish I had kept that letter. But it hurt me so bad that I hda to burn it.

I'm fairly certain my SP uncle had the 2nd anointing. Nothing in particular that made me realize it. I think it was when listening to Tom's podcast with John Dehlin that something clicked. My uncle was a wild man up until his 50s. His wife, my aunt by blood, was my very good friend. She told me many times (although she was active mromon all her life--I'll leave the typo) that my uncle was much more fun before he found religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 10:37AM by cl2.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 03:27AM

It occurs to me smirk that newbies might wonder at your spelling of tscc's once proud name with that lower case m in the middle.

But I gotta say I have never had a problem with it, I get it.

And btw, don't ever change.

:o)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 10:58AM

Agnes Broomhead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's agreed that not all stake presidents have
> their own Calling And Election Made Sure, there
> are too many of them for that.

I beg to differ. I predict with my seer stoned thinking cap that 2As are going to grow in number and spill over from SPs to Bishops and beyond.

The temple is clearly losing its allure. What better way to up its priesthood power wattage than by adding another ordinance but a secret, er more sacred one?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 11:05AM

A few years ago when we were still TBM, we attended stake conference (which we rarely did). The 1st counselor in the stake presidency got up and spoke. He was always very arrogant,but this took the cake. He said that during the previous week, the members of the stake presidency went to the Salt Lake Temple and met with the first presidency in the upper rooms. Apparently, they had a sacrament meeting and the first presidency blessed it and served it to them. During his talk, the 1st counselor repeated several times that this special meeting was ONLY FOR THEM. He also bragged about his children's PB's which told all of them that they would live to see the 2nd Coming and personally visit with Jesus. He was pretty good at making all of us feel like chopped liver.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 21, 2019 11:30AM

The thought of any of those guys giving me a pinch of wonder makes me nauseous.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: May 22, 2019 06:14AM

I've never seen evidence anyone has a 2A, although I must have at least some of them - I've encountered a good few head honchos in my time including Holland, Hinckley and others.

It's really guesswork. Word has it that not all GAs have 2As, and certainly not all bishops. I suppose you could guess by who looks the most self-satisfied but even that is no guide. I know unmarried TBMs like that, and if you're unmarried you don't get the 2A.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.