Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 11:58AM

on a 3-day weekend when on vacation. If I was home, then I probably did go to church. But Memorial Day weekend for me as a kid was we started hoeing beets and going to church was a relief! Our dad didn't have us do that type of stuff on Sundays, but we did move irrigation pipe on Sundays.

Not once did my family go to church when on vacation or visiting relatives.

I don't have any giggly stories that I can think of.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 12:48PM

It's not just going to church in Mormonism.
They will ruin your 3-day weekend by wanting cleaning service and a whole bunch of other stuff local leaders can think of.

Smart Mormons are conveniently out of town for such occasions.

The lower ranks are stupid enough to do free work.

Date: May 25, 2019 01:21PM

of their weekend. I'll return and report. Most Saturday evenings they go to the temple with her in-laws. WTH?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 01:24PM

I grew up on a ranch in northern Utah. Church was secondary to any farming needs and no one said anything about it. It was not uncommon for people to wear work clothes to Sunday School and skip Sacrament meeting all together.

After my mother had died, Dad's new wife was from Ogden. She had a different approach and we had to go to church when we visited her relatives.

One year, I was seven years old and sitting in Jr Sunday school. This was the class where they prep you for baptism.

The teacher used the example of a beehive. Comparing us to bees. Near the end of the class she asked everyone to raise their hands and promise to be good little worker bees, follow Jesus example and be baptised.

Everyone raised their hands but me. She said "Heartless don't you want to make Heavenly Father happy and be a good worker bee?"

I said "No I'd rather be a drone."

The poor city lady innocently asked why.

I said "All the drone has to do is sit around, eat honey and have sex with the Queen. Since he's married to the queen that would make him the King."

So amidst the sea of questions about sex and the kids wanting to be king and queen bees, the lady banished me to the hallway.

Later when my Dad found out what happened, he couldn't stop laughing. Him and I were in the dog house for a few days. My stepmother was not amused and in typical mormon fashion was horrified at the shame we caused her family and how we could never return to that ward.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 01:36PM

Great story

Date: May 25, 2019 06:26PM

My dad very seldom attended on Sundays because he was a school teacher, too, and he had his irritation turns on weekends. Farmers are a different breed--one of the greatest.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 05:26AM

Farmers tithing was different too.

Grandpa was adamant that only after all the farm expenses were paid was tithing taken from the left over. The expenses included laying up money for the next years crop and setting aside money for the fallow year when the fields rested. Taxes were farm expenses too.

Some years he paid no tithing, though occasionally he'd donate a few calves to the church herd.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 03:22PM

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 02:35PM

Going to church on a three day weekend is against my religion.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 02:39PM

This is why one of the many reasons I am compelled is to worship you!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 02:49PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is why one of the many reasons I am compelled
> is to worship you!

I planned it that way.

Date: May 25, 2019 06:25PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 03:11PM

I do remember attending on holidays when the turnout was tiny and everyone was allowed to leave early.

Is that what happens on long weekends?

I think I once attended a ward house TV setup for general conference and only about three or four others showed up. We chatted as the TV droned and walked out after after about 20 or 30 minutes.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 25, 2019 06:27PM

Hahahahaha! Should have ordered pizza!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 26, 2019 09:16AM

Well, every day is a weekend for me..lol....and not having church to look forward to has been my life story for almost 50 years.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.