Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 06:46PM

As I drove past the Foothill Ward chapel in San Jose, CA about 2 pm four police cars pulled out of the driveway into the street and then made a U-turn. This is on San Felipe near Yerba Buena.

It was odd because it is rare to see police cars in our neighborhood. I wish they would drive around here more often. I almost never see one during the daytime.

The church property may allow access to a creek that runs along the bottom of the hill, but it seems to me there is an easier way to get access. Might be a homeless encampment--some neighbors about a block away reported some homeless camping along the creek bed east of there.

It dawns on me that camping near the ward might not be a bad idea. I don't think there are many members left to attend at that location. Then it occurred to me that many church properties could be good places for these encampments.

Just wondering if any of you have any knowledge about this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 06:53PM

Maybe a truck pulled over in front of the church and was blocking the sign. That's what happened in my area and the police were summoned.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2213717,2213717#msg-2213717

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 06:53PM

I have no specific knowledge of the situation you describe. But when I was growing up we lived next door to the church building. It was very common for police cars--either one by itself or a pair of them--to park in the church parking lot and "hang out." I don't know if they were doing paperwork, watching for speeders, or on break in the shade. I would see them there at least once a week, it seemed like.

It wasn't unusual for them to zoom away quickly, presumably in response to a call or some car going past.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 08:34PM

this

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 09:16PM

Cops use parking lots a lot, especially empty ones , to talk or rest, etc. Maybe they are just starting or ending a shift and are just going over stuff, or picking up where the other guys left off.They seem to use the Chick fil A parking lot on Sundays a lot too.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 09:24PM

the Mormon wymen who were 'at home making doughnuts' ran out of husbands & sons so they're serving the local gendarmes...

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: May 31, 2019 11:47PM

I reminder in my youth a time the police showed up at the ward to break up a fight in a church basketball feud.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 01, 2019 12:02AM

Someone got caught drinking coffee. Book him, Danno !

Date: June 01, 2019 09:44PM

I wondered if they were just hanging out. There is a strip mall about a block away with McDs, Starbucks and similar places. Maybe they were just having lunch at the back of the building.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 12:22AM

If you're really curious, call the police station or 911 and tell what you saw and say you need to go to the ward to do some work and was concerned if it was safe to do so.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: June 02, 2019 05:24PM

Did you check the San Jose Police Blotter?

Date: June 02, 2019 11:58PM

Didn’t think of checking crime report. Nothing for that day and time. Must have been lunch break.

Posted by: RedM&M ( )
Date: June 04, 2019 03:09PM

The SJPD cars hang out in my ward building all the time (same stake as San Felipe, different building). They definitely seem to use it for relaxation purposes based on what I see.

Recently, I was practicing driving in my church and the cops were watching me practice my driving because it seemed like they have nothing to do there.

Not surprised cops hang out in the San Felipe building!

I know this is off topic, as I haven’t posted before on this site, but I can not wait to get out of this church, but right now, I have to deal with the young mens program my parents force me to do. I hate it!

Date: June 04, 2019 08:29PM

My sympathies RedM&M. My sons hated church,and fortunately we all got out before they became priests and just before we moved here, so the only locals we know are ex-Mos. We did know some active members, but they all moved back to Utah when real estate was hot.

Looking back I do regret the pressure we put on those two boys to conform.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.