Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonStar1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 08:52PM

25 years. You’ve had a full childhood, teenage years, and nearly a decade of being an adult. You’ve experienced growing up, going to school, making friends, developing your talents, learning new things. You’ve had work experience.

25 years is a quarter of a century. That’s a good life. Lots accomplished in that time span.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:02PM

Oh, I don't know. I really enjoyed my 30's and 40's much more than I did the earlier years.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:04PM

There was a time when reaching age 25 made you a very old man in your community. For much of human history, 25 was the old 75.

Are there those who count themselves ready to die, no matter what their age? Probably.

Are there those who don't wish ever to die? Yep.

I don't think it a good thing to try to live your life by trying to gauge the consensus of some fabricated majority.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 02:30AM

due to extremely high infant mortality rates. For people who survived childhood, life expectancy in general was shorter than now, but not as extreme as 25 vs 75. I don't know about caveman days.

But just imagine living before the invention of eye-glasses and things like that. If by your twenties you were just nearsighted to an extent that would be considered average these days, you'd still be functionally blind. You can see the blob coming at you, but you can't tell if it's your next-cave neighbor or a saber-tooth tiger.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 02:25PM

For cavemen it was around 40 years max.
At least that's what the bones say.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:09PM

For most people they have spent all that time locked in the prison-educational-indoctrination complex. For the underclass (those with working mothers) They have spent their childhood either in daycare or in a chaotic american classroom setting of 35 little hellians. Either way they have been force fed common core and have been trained to desire a bureaucratic job.

By the time the child is ready to graduate the System, in the vast majority of cases, has failed to allow the youngster to discover what they are actually good at, or enjoy doing. Too many head to college and waste their time trying to get qualified for jobs that existed 50 years ago!

By the time the underclass is 25 they still don't know what to do with their lives. It's the upper class and talented that get ahead. They have the mentors to help guide them into what they are good at.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 11:56PM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For most people they have spent all that time
> locked in the prison-educational-indoctrination
> complex.

Is this like an apartment complex? Do they have a pool?

For the underclass (those with working
> mothers)

Children with working mothers are the underclass? What about people with broken mothers? Which class are they in? Seems like you'd be better iff with a working mother than a broken one.

Either way they have been
> force fed common core and have been trained to
> desire a bureaucratic job.

So true. I would never willingly eat common core. It tastes terrible!

> By the time the child is ready to graduate the
> System, in the vast majority of cases, has failed
> to allow the youngster to discover what they are
> actually good at, or enjoy doing.

I know, right?

Too many head to
> college and waste their time trying to get
> qualified for jobs that existed 50 years ago!

Agreed! The best jobs are ones from 100 years ago or earlier, like stay-at-home mother (aka homenaker), blacksmith, scrivener, and door-to-door salesman.

> By the time the underclass is 25 they still don't
> know what to do with their lives.

So true. I've never met a 25-year-old with a working mother who knew what he wanted to do with his life. The women don't count.

It's the upper
> class and talented that get ahead.

Is "talented" your word for people who don't eat common core

They have the
> mentors to help guide them into what they are good
> at.

I'm so glad you had mentors who helped guide you to writing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 12:45AM by Aloysius.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:19PM

It depends.

If death is inevitable (a person is killed, or has a fatal disease, or a fatal accident), then that life is obviously over and that person takes from it what they were able to experience and learn.

If death is NOT inevitable at age 25, then that particular life may not (effectively) have even BEGUN by age 25--and whatever that person came into this life to accomplish (both personally, and to the "world at large") may still be decades in the future. There are paths still ahead, and unknown, unanticipated circumstances ahead, which that person may have no idea about (even as a fantasized possibility).

The "right" people for you may still be decades in the future.

The "right" experiences for you may still be decades in the future.

And then there is serendipity, which is apparently random (but likely is not)....except you first, by your own efforts, need to get to where the serendipity exists.

One of the things you realize later, much further on down the line, is that in real life, "this" leads to [presently unknown] "that" over and over and over again throughout a "normal lifetime" (which, in the USA, is 78.7 years now), and often in such unanticipated ways that NO ONE could have figured out the future experiences and wisdom ahead EXCEPT, much later, by looking back at what has already happened, and being able (in retrospect) to understand how those seemingly random turns, or seemingly gentle modifications, led to the ultimate destination(s) that person was actually headed for.

For adults who wind up living full lives, age 25 is, looking backwards, just the real (adult) beginning of everything else which follows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 01:53AM by Tevai.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:40PM

I think you are just getting started at age 25.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:39AM

I would say 75 is a much better one.

I'm coming up on birthday #72 later this month, (which strikes me as amazing!) and I'm practically a historical artifact!

Life is good. I've done most of the things I've set out to do. I think most of us had "bucket lists" from earlier in life; we just didn't have that catchy name for them.

I don't plan on running any marathons, but my eye muscles are among the best in the world, and I can speed-read like a champion, and retain most of what I read. Books, books and more books to devour, and nary a calorie among them - life is good!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:42PM

Any run is a good run. Like any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Maybe you don’t walk away from this one. You may go peacefully, or more likely my fate, rambling like a lunatic.

Life has been one long sequence of surprises for me. My first big surprise is living to 25. Civilization was supposed to have ended. What happened to “Armageddon”? It became a blockbuster movie. Not even Ben Affleck died. Tell me there’s no God.

When I hit 35, I started to notice a pattern. I wasn’t dead. Yup, year in, year out. I was still here. Not vaporized in a mushroom cloud, not living out of some Mad Max Thunderdome in south Phoenix, not fighting off gentile bandits on the road to Independence Missouri, just plugging along in Mormonland until I threw a rod.

In case you’re not much into cars, throwing a rod doesn’t do nice things to an engine. If you can’t buy a new engine, you have to rebuild it from scratch. Yup, that was the job. It took me a good long time. I have some parts left over, but it seems to run fine.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 09:58PM

I can't speak for the truly underprivileged among us, as I had a somewhat privileged upbringing. I'm neither a Trump nor a Kennedy, but my parents came from moderately wealthy families. Except for the three years during which my dad served as a mission president, our family lived mostly on my father's earnings as a university professor and inventor of medical and orthopedic devices because my parents chose to bank and invest the majority of their inheritance, but the money was available if they ever wanted access.

My parents believed in public schools; my siblings and I attended the local public schools wherever we lived, which was Laie, Hawaii, central California when we were in the mission field, and Utah County. During my time in public schools, I had some exposure to students from widely ranging backgrounds, with parental income ranging from that of welfare recipients and farmworkers to, in a couple of cases, that of literal billionaires.

I'm not trying to invalidate the experiences of anyone else, as our paths were all different, and I never had the true urban experience (Summer and maybe Cheryl as well could tell us about that based on teaching experience), but I wasn't locked in a prison-educational-indoctrination complex. While there were arguably institutional aspects to my education, the majority of my peers' and my educational needs were met. I spent a few years in classes of large size, but my peers were not hellions. Teachers and counselors somewhat effectively mentored students. Few of my peers who put forth even minimal effort lacked guidance to suitable career paths. The majority of our teachers and counselors wanted us to experience greater success than what they had achieved.

I cannot say that what macaRomney described was not a reality for anyone else who grew up when I did (I was born in '84), but most of my peers were well on their way to careers by the time they turned twenty-five. Serving a mission was a detour, but I had taken AP classes as well as a few university courses in high school. I was three-quarters of my way through medical school by the time I was twenty-five.

The actual upper class had a leg up on most of us, but except for the truly deprived among us, we had a fair shot in life and reasonable chances at success even by age twenty-five. I still wouldn't consider twenty-five years a good run, though, and would be devastated if either of my children didn't make it past twenty-five. I can't predict the future and don't know what my children will face, but for my age-level peers and myself, I cannot blame the system for lack of achievement or delayed achievement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 02:47AM by scmd1.

Date: June 09, 2019 10:27PM

“we had a fair shot in life and reasonable chances at success even by age twenty-five.”

Shout out to millennials, sorry we handed you a sh*t sandwich. Now make us choke on it like good little boys and girls.

Date: June 10, 2019 01:09AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> “we had a fair shot in life and reasonable
> chances at success even by age twenty-five.”
>
> Shout out to millennials, sorry we handed you a
> sh*t sandwich. Now make us choke on it like good
> little boys and girls.

Was any generation NOT handed a sh*t sandwich? You have nothing for which to apologize.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:43PM

yes, you kind of got handed a shit sandwich. It makes me rather depressed. My boyfriend was explaining to me about social security and why it is the mess it is. So I guess it was a recent president who decided to use SS to fight a war. Wow! I didn't know exactly what happened.

Let me just say that when I was young, not everyone "had to" go to college. You could get a good job and have a decent life without a college education and I was able to support my children as a single mother quite well (if I hadn't been so depressed, it would have been even better). When I got my first real job at IRS, which I hated, the pay was good. You could make a career of it and only work seasonally and the ladies who were my supervisors did really well pay wise without a degree.

Then I went to work at Thiokol (now ATK) and I made really good money for the time. My insurance cost me 95 cents a paycheck and it was GOOD insurance. My eventual husband worked(s) for IHC and had good insurance. We had a set of twins and it didn't cost us a penny. C-section, they had to stay in the hospital for several extra days, etc. Not a penny. We still have good insurance, which makes it nice that I didn't divorce him, but it is difficult to find a job that gives you insurance, let alone REALLY GOOD INSURANCE.

Being born in 1984, my twins were born in 1985. Life won't be as easy for them as it was for me. I start SS next month. Will there be SS when my kids get that age, yet they are paying into it. Housing right now is THROUGH THE ROOF in Utah. But then in 1986 when we bought a house, the interest rate was 17% and we were lucky that it dropped to 10% when we bought our house, but house prices were LOW. You'd be shocked to know how much we paid for our house and it is a nice house. Not big, but a nice home. AND even with a college degree, the wages are not very good. Depends on what your degree is in, but I'm shocked at wages.

I'd say our government and greed are what ended up handing the younger generations a shit sandwich.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 12:45PM by cl2.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:52PM

scmd1 Wrote:
> babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > “we had a fair shot in life and reasonable
> > chances at success even by age twenty-five.”
> >
> > Shout out to millennials, sorry we handed you a
> > sh*t sandwich. Now make us choke on it like
> good
> > little boys and girls.
>
>
> Was any generation NOT handed a sh*t sandwich? You
> have nothing for which to apologize.

The current generation is making a footlong sub for the next one. They won't be able to do anything without being watched or listened to, and anyone who uses the wrong kind of language will be reeducated.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 10:32PM

25 years is a generational lifespan as families are measured.

But no, not a good run, unless someone's life is cut short.

That would be a short life if it ended that young.

I had a landlord in the 1980's who'd lost their son when he was only 14 to a tragic accident. The father had a nervous breakdown over that, blaming himself. He wished that his son could have lived to see 24. Even another ten years to have had a more fulfilled life than dying so young.

We don't really get to choose our cards, do we?

One of my brothers didn't think he was going to live very long for some reason. He fretted he wouldn't live to see the second coming. I would say to him it doesn't matter when you live, it matters how he lives. Well now he's in his 50's and still alive. Maybe he was afraid for nothing after all.

25 years can be a "good run" if you live well, and live it wisely. Problem with that is so many of us are getting our education at that age, and starting families or getting started in our careers or what have you. That I'm not sure we've really started living by that age, or reached a state of nirvana.

That comes with age and accumulated wisdom IMO.

Live each moment like it's your last. Because no one knows what fate is going to bring us. I'm not a fatalist, but a realist. And I try to be an optimist even keeping Murphy's Law in check. I'm trying to prepare for a long life. One just never knows what hand life is going to deal.

Take care of your health as best as you can. Try to keep a positive outlook. Get as good an education as you possibly can. Live beneath your means. Strive for contentment. Be at peace and be happy. What more can you do?

If time is going to snatch it away before you've had a chance to live a long life, then yes, it is possible to have lived a full life in 25 years. Just not as full a life as if you could live a longer life and more fulfilling one. I wish you both a long life and a good run.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 09, 2019 10:50PM

I've outlived my usefulness.

Date: June 09, 2019 10:57PM

Captain Steven Hiller:
I ain't heard no fat lady!

David Levinson:
Forget the fat lady. You're Obsessed with fat lady. Just get us out of here!

Posted by: Old Gal, retired. ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 01:26AM

AnonSTar 1, your question makes me wonder--why do you ask?

Please contact the suicide hotline, if you need to.

I expecially like what Tevai wrote, about the people you have not yet met, and the unknown events in your future. They will not be all bad, but mostly good.

When I was 25, I was a battered wife, and was seriously contemplating suicide.

I had a good childhood, like scmd1 described. Just the normal problems of growing up. I was born in California, and lived in the same house, which my parents lived in, until they died. I attended public schools, within walking distance, with old childhood friends, and had good experiences there, and loved learning, sports, adventures with my friends, and vacation trips with my family. My mother was a SAHM Relief-Society president. My father was a professor, and he loved teaching me. On assignments, my parents took me with them, and we lived for a a half-year in South America, and a year in Scandanavia, and travelled all over Europe and the US. I always had a job, from age 14, babysitting, until now. I was raised Mormon, and always tried to be a "good Mormon girl." I went to BYU, met a newly-returned missionary who had all the right credentials, and got married in the temple. He turned out to be a con-man, a sociopath, with a hidden history of assault and battery. He married me for my money and connections, and I worked to put him through graduate school, while he beat me every day. I knew that I could not have children with that brute, but if I didn't honor my temple covenants, I feared my Mormon life would be over. I did not want to live that life. That could have been the end of my story at Age 25.

No, no, no, you don't ever want life to end--not really--deep in your heart. Admit it--there's something inside of you that cries out, whenever you say, "It's been a good run." Am I right?

As for me, my MORMON life was over. My role as the good Mormon temple bride had ended. But a human being is more than that. There are many facets to a person's mind and personality and experiences. I got a divorce, and struggled ahead. Yes, it was Hell. I was stalked, physically injured, shunned in my old ward, and labeled as "damaged goods." But, only the MORMONS did that to me. The rest of the world was open, interesting, and full of opportunities! I excaped my scary ex, went incognito, out of fear, and started another life in another city. I was lucky to have had a good education, and I had two great careers in my life. One in Silicon Valley, and one in Salt Lake City. Both were exciting and interesting and provided well. It was a good time of prosperity in America, and a good time for women's rights, too. Instead of my life being over, I married another Mormon, and had children.

My children are the "right people" that Tevai tells about. Also, my employers, work colleagues, and clients.

It would take many pages to tell you about all the wonderful, happy, challenging, interesting, fun, life-changing experiences I have had. I agree with Devoted Exmo that the 30's and 40's are great years. I loved being a mother. I enjoyed my career and all the people I got to know. I didn't work when I was pregnant, so I could stay home and enjoy my babies. Even with the pain and hard work, life is pretty damned good! My husband left the Mormon church, and I followed, and we spent weekends at the beach, playing with the children, going on side trips, etc. Pretty ideal, but that was not the end, either.

Unexpectedly, my husband took a job promotion in Salt Lake City, moved us there, and then quit his job and moved back to California, and moved in with a woman. With a phone call, he told me that he didn't want a family, and didn't care what happened to me and the kids. His TBM family blamed me, and since the kids were no longer "sealed" to them, they disowned my sweel children. My ex didn't contact us at all for about 5 years, but I found out he had been cheating on me for our entire marriage, even on our honeymoon, and I hadn't known it. Had any of that sunny beach-side marriage been real? I still don't know, but I do know I created most of it, and the children and I lived it, together.

Needing money desperately, to keep our house, I found a job rather quickly. I became active in the Mormon church again, briefly, because I was told "It's the best way to raise children." Luck seemed to be on our side. My employer helped me get more education, and the necessary business licenses and certifications, when necessary. By the time I was 50, I had a new circle of friends, mostly non-Mormon business colleagues, my children had been happy and successful in their public schoos, Eagle Scouts, side-jobs, friendships, sports teams and interests. They were wiser than I, and left the church, for very good reasons of their own, and I supported them in that, but I still hung onto Mormonism. We stayed in the same house, and the kids walked to the schools, as I had in my childhood. Instead of becoming delinquents, as the Mormons threatened, my kids seemed to thrive on being more independent, and they were moral beyond the Mormons standards. Many of the Mormon neighbor kids got hooked on drugs, and had unwanted pregnancies. The years went by, and all my children graduated from the University of Utah, putting themselves through school and living at home. By then, I was able to help with their tuition. All my dreams were being fulfilled in my 50's. The worst challenge has been an incurable disease, but there have been remissions, and I have always been able to work. Never for one day, since I was Age 25, did I ever want to end my life.

At 60, I reached a point in life that I felt like a failure, again. Where was the "wisdom" that was promised in old age? Something was not quite right.... I had been active in the Mormon church, as pianist and teacher, for most of life. Anyway, what I was suffering was the "cognitive dissonance" that people write about here on RFM. With the help of a boyfriend, I started to seriously question Mormonism, and discovered the Truth. Mormonism was indeed a hoax. Worse still, Mormonism was wrong about a lot of things. Luckily, with me and my children, common sense had prevailed, and we listened to our heart, rather than follow along with something that seemed convoluted, uncomfortable, even evil. The temple is a good example. It was just--wrong. Donating money to campaign against gays, donating to a corporation who was building mallsand resorts and business "globally" was just--wrong. The polygamy of my ancestors was just--wrong.

I never could have imagined, at Age 25, that I would be shedding Mormonism like the scam that it was, at Age 60.

At 76 years of age, I wish I could make you understand how joyful and peaceful my life is now! My career went humming along, and I could cut back, and retire gradually. I have saved money (mostly due to fear and insecurity) without sacrificing anything my children and I needed, and what's left over after retirement, I will leave to my heirs. I have read, learned, travelled, skied, hiked, climbed mountains, repelled down cliffs; bicycled in the mountains, on country roads, on the desert rocks; played Bach on the organ, surfed in Hawaii, seen the world, explored coral reefs; borne children, been blissfully married (for longer than average); had a lot of questions answered. I'll always have more questions, and curiosity. I am interested to learn what mankind will discover next, and what my grandchildren will say and do next.

Bucket list? LOL. I don't need one.

Sorry to rant--but my brain fired up, when I read, "Would you say 25 years is a good run?" I would have committed suicide, and missed my entire life!

Date: June 10, 2019 01:36AM

Old Gal, your story is fascinating. CountryTime, Minutemaid, and the other makers of lemonade have nothing on you.

Date: June 10, 2019 02:53AM

I have to wonder who hasn’t contemplated suicide. Isn’t that the normal thing? It’s a wonder religion doesn’t push more people over the edge. But there’s no substitute for growing old. The long and winding road leads to you, but only if you walk it.

Life is a beautiful gift. One made just for you, all done up in bows. Take your time unwrapping it, it’s not going anywhere. Am I glad I didn’t off myself? More than you can imagine.

Date: June 10, 2019 10:05AM

Old Gal,

You sound like someone I'd like to know.

I wasn't as privileged as you were growing up. But reading your life story parallels mine in some ways, and I'm enamored in other ways regarding your resilience and fortitude against the odds.

I was a survivor in a dysfunctional LDS home. I knew my parents loved us, but they were challenged and didn't provide the nurturing or support we needed to thrive.

Somehow I was able to get my strength and wings I needed through my upbringing nonetheless, or maybe because of it.

We were given values and were taught right from wrong as children. But it more based on dogma rather than agape love.

I'm 60 now. 25 wasn't that long ago, but a world ago considering how much I've come from then.

It is said our bodies shed their cells every five years and rejuvenate completely. That the person you are today will be someone 'new' in five years from now.

That's one reason love interests may change. And why people change, and grow with time.

Why we molt religions we were taught in childhood. Because we outgrew them once we learn more and mature. We simply no longer have room for them in our spiritual walk. Especially once we learn they were phony to begin with and based on false pretense, by false prophet/s.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 01:39AM

I guess it depends!

It's interesting to me that people's answers to this question (in this thread and in general) have a lot to do with how old they are themselves. It's all so relative.

Speaking here as someone in middle age, more or less.

Humans don't have many (if any) memories prior to about age 5 or so, with some exceptions.

Our childhood and teen years are usually full of confusion and angst and (looking back now) a lot of ignorance about life and the world in general.

We really don't become full adults until 21. By then, some of us have been through college and learned a crap ton about life and the world -- hopefully, and if we're curious enough to bother to learn.

A lot of people are married and have kids by 25 that will keep them occupied for a long time.

But regardless, my experience is that 25 is *just barely* a functional adult. I learned a HUGE amount between 18 and 25, and I felt it, but I learned an additional huge amount between 25 and 30.

After that it kind of levels off and you find yourself on a plateau for a long time, unless you make a special effort to learn new things, try new stuff, maybe change career or geography or whatnot.

I fell it's insulting when older people call a 25 year old "just a kid," because you're obviously an adult, but it is absolutely NOT a good run if it ends there.

Once again, a lot depends on the individual. Are you leading a sheltered existence, full of complacency, lack of curiosity or interest, or are you making efforts to expand and grow? How are your relationships with other people? With family or friends? This is a critical element no matter what age.

But I don't think 25 is a "good run" unless you've led an extremely interesting and active life by then, which few people have.

Obviously if you're dealing with a terminal illness it may not be in your hands to decide. Obviously anyone can die at any time (like in Game of Thrones, lol ... you can walk outside your house and get run over by a bus. But taking all this into account I stand by my above rant.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 04:01AM

That's exactly how old I was when I finally decided that I no longer believed in Mormonism. I had many years of doubts leading up to that of course. But I was not confident enough to point the finger at the church and confidently declare that it was not true. Prior to age 25, I always entertained the idea that I was missing something or there could be something wrong with me. But by age 25, I had collected enough evidence and listed enough inconsistencies and problems that I was finally able to feel confident enough to leave the church.

My life as a Mormon ended at age 25. I'm glad it wasn't the end of everything.

I would rather see humans have longer, healthier lives and slower reproductive cycles than seeing humans have shorter lives. 25 is ridiculous IMO. 25-year-olds are barely starting to understand much of anything at all about how the world works. As for "lots accomplished in that time span", I have a hard time seeing that. But I guess perceptions can be quite subjective. For me, if I knew that 25 was the end, I definitely wouldn't spend it going to junior high school and high school...or even university. What a forkin' waste that would be!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 04:41AM

I'm living the best part of my life in retirement. My father no longer exists, and Mormonism is struggling. I don't have to work for money any more.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 04:57AM

No, I wouldn't. Why are you asking?

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 06:09AM

My DH and I are both around 70 and life now is better than ever. We have more available spending money than we have ever had, we no longer have dependents relying on us..either parents or children. As a result we are travelling a lot and seeing parts of the world we never thought we would see.

I had a bit of a bucket list of world landmarks and I've managed to tick off quite a few.

At 25 we were fairly newly married, worrying about mortgage payments, budgeting carefully to see if we could even afford a short vacation somewhere. I prefer life now.

Date: June 10, 2019 12:29PM

I had a rough go at age 25. Putting myself through college without familial support. Then I pretty much became a single parent as I was leaving college. My ex and I split not long after graduating.

It was a tough time. Being a single parent in the cult of Mormonism is no picnic either. I got more support from the Catholics where we lived than we did from our own church during those early years, without even asking for any help at all just because I was a single mother.

It was during those years that my shelf cracked and i started questioning my Mormon faith in earnest.

I didn't leave my faith when I left Mormonism. I needed that desperately. It has helped me since leaving the cult to stabilize my life and help me be a better person than I'd have been without it. And to be a better parent for my children.

It gave me an anchor, in other words.

It was my faith that led me out of Mormonism too. By questioning. The very thing we were taught as children in the cult to do, is what led me out of it as an adult. Now Mormons teach adults to "doubt their doubts," because of what happens when they question their religion.

God needed to pull the rug out from under my feet of Mormonism so I could find that without it my faith was still there, and better than before. No longer was I worshiping an institution that stood between myself and my Creator.

But now my Creator had me more fully in His grasp, and I felt like I was on more solid ground than slippery sand like when I was a Mormon. I had felt something missing as a Mormon, something wasn't right. But I couldn't put my finger on it. Until I figured out for myself what it was what I needed to know.

Now I no longer get that uneasy feeling because I'm out of it. It feels safer to be free from a cult than to be trapped inside one, for sure!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:35PM

If you're 25, 25 years is a good run.
If you're 75 you know that at 25 you hadn't seen anything yet.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 12:42PM

And you've only just fully matured. Your whole life as a fully formed human is ahead of you.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 02:29PM

I think 40 years is a good run.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 03:09PM

Provided there is a wonderful, Mormon-free afterlife, crossing over at age 35 - 40 is probably alright.

In such an afterlife I would want to keep Frisians and ride them in green meadows and on sandy beaches.

I always stayed away from horses in this life for fear of winding up like Christopher Reeves.

Oh well....

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 03:45PM

I'd say no its not.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 07:23PM

We wouldn't have met!!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 07:45PM

I know!!!!!! that is a scary thought.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 08:55PM

Good years are just good years period. I had fun in various parts on my life and dealt with some hardship at times in my life.

Life just changes. One thing I will say. You do take good health for granted and when you have health problems you look back at what life was like when you were healthy and wish you had your health back.

My advice. Enjoy the now. Especially if you are young and healthy. You never know how much life you have left and how much crap life is going to throw at you. If things are good enjoy the moment.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 09:40PM

as for me I am 83 and not quite through with may run as of yet!!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 10, 2019 09:57PM

The way I see it is that it took me billions of years to finally get to be here. It's so amazing that I get to be here at all. If just one ancestor slept with a different person than they did, there would be no Me.

And there will be billions and billions of years that I'll be gone. You're a long-time dead.

So for me, every moment that I can get is precious, even the crappy ones. I want to squeeze every last second out of my life that I can.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.