Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: just me ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 12:34PM

This is new to me.

My senior couple relatives were called as missionaries....to serve the elderly members in a huge retirement facility.

They were called for one year....then continued to be called for 6 more years.

They visited, helped, and became "friends".

During this time some of the assigned members died....
some had family/some had no family.

This is in Utah....it's a complex of 300+ apartments.

At first I thought what a wonderful church program.

But on second thought.........I became worried that these members were guided to donate any assets & or money to the
church.

Am I being overly critical? I'd like to ask this couple if they became involved with the members finances.

I am usually very trusting.....but this seems like a possible
victim scam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 01:06PM

They came to my mother's home and made friends with her, then talked her into changing her will and cutting out her six kids from the will to leave everything to the church. My TBM sister found out about it and had a fit. She told mom to change her will back and include the six kids again. She showed up for my mother's last appointment with these mormon scammers and told them never to return.

They didn't offer any support or services beyond eating my mother's snacks and talking her into revealing her finances to them and leaving her assets to the mormon church. They told her it would help her family by preventing squabbles after her death and they said the lord would hold her in higher esteem for being so generous to him.

Sorry, your relatives are of the type to do this to elderly members who have likely already paid tithes, fast offerings, building fund dues and given personal service to the mormon church. It's the church that owes their elder members, not the other way around.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 01:18PM

The poor church needs all the help it can get. That's why they need more real estate to be donated for shopping malls and office buildings.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 01:48PM

Your suspicions are valid. I'm not necessarily saying that these particular missionaries are or were soliciting changes to wills in favor of the church, but it's been known to happen.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 02:45PM

That's borderline elderly abuse. Everyone in that place's emergency contact, provider or next of kin should be aware of these "missionaries". The facility should be held libel if anyone changes their will.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 02:52PM

In all probability they have been told to build the kingdom by becoming friends, confidants, legal guides, and trusted helpers (as in let me help you empty your coffers).

What about the senior mishey's? 6 more year's? Omg...how terrible that they have to waste their time away from their family. The exploitation of this cult is unbelievable.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: June 17, 2019 02:55PM

Retirement facilities are required by law to have enough staff on hand to adequately service their patients and keep the facility cleaned.

The owners usually live very well.

Volunteer workers may be nice but should not be needed.

At best, those "missionaries" are wasting their own time. At worst, they are fleecing the elderly.

We once had a new RS president who volunteered the ward to CLEAN a nursing home on a Saturday.
She left messages reminding people to show up with their scrub brushes.

WTF?
Don't know how many people showed up but it was not our family.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.