Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 12:11PM

Last Jne 8th, I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection in my already-compromised, poorly-functioning kidneys. Doc knew me, and called in medicine, which seemed to work just fine.

Last night, after work hours (of course) I felt the symptoms again: burning, frequency, mild nausea. The doc they put me in touch with last night was not one I knew. He insisted that I go to the E/R. I have to admit, although I felt absolutely terrible and didn't want to do it, he had some valid reasons for wanting me evaluated.

I've run into many ER docs who have never heard of Alport's Syndrome (it's considered a "rare" disease, though there is plenty of it in my family. I was never actually seen by a doctor. They just looked at the lab reports.

The place was crowded when we got there around ten p.m., which was pretty discouraging. However, this hospital already has existing records documenting the fragile state of my kidneys, and I got hustled through in pretty quick order. We were home by 11:30, with a prescription. They gave me the first pill on the spot before I left, and this morning DH has left to pick up the rest of them.

I feel pretty limp and queasy, but I'm grateful I didn't have to get in line behind all the dozens of people who were already there.

Where does Mormonism fit into this saga? I regret every day that I no longer feel that a celestial being has my back. I depend instead on the love and kindness I receive from family and friends. We are only mortal, after all, but I think we do a very nice job of being there for each other.

Please send another round of healing vibes and positivity out West toward me and my sweet DH. (For somebody who has never been trained in the field, he does one heck of a job as a private duty nurse!)

BTW, the operated shoulder isn't up to snuff yet. it's still sore, has not begun PT yet, and full healing can take as long as a year. (This year is proving to be a challenge.)

Despite getting older and creakier, I still depend on the kindness and positivity that flows from my exmo family!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 12:32PM

I am so glad you were able to get to the ER, and get through that process, when you needed it so much!

I am sorry you are having to go through this, and I hope you are feeling stronger and better--in every way (including your shoulder)--in very short order.

We are on your side, catnip!

I hope these current situations will heal rapidly, and settle down fast.

Good healing thoughts going your way now.

We care.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 01:01PM

(((((catnip)))) I'm glad you finally got through the ER ordeal and got some medicine. I hope that shoulder speeds through that healing process. You are tough as nails! Hang in, catnip! I love ya!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 01:01PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 01:37PM

BTW, the operated shoulder isn't up to snuff yet. it's still sore, has not begun PT yet, and full healing can take as long as a year. (This year is proving to be a challenge.)"

Just some experienced info. I had major shoulder surgery about 15 years ago. Due to a car wreck but probably weakened by years of competitive swimming and water skiing. It was major re- attachment. An ex pro athlete that had a successful recovery, gave me great advice. It was to do your rehab. Faithfully, no matter what. Auto insurance only paid for 6 weeks of PT, but the PT folks recommended exercises, at home, in between PT sessions which included Stim and icing. I talked the insurance company into buying me a dumbbell weight set from 2-30 lbs. and resistance bands. My main concern was scar tissue limiting my range of motion. It was not fun. But I did what they told me, for longer than they told me. Not pushing too much, not adding too much weight, which can lead to tearing. I did my rehab for another 6 months after recommended. Now, 15 years later, my operated shoulder is more flexible than my non-repaired shoulder. Plus, unlike some other joints, pain free. Bottom line, push through your rehab. It's a short, sometimes painful timeline, but, it pays off for decades after. Good luck.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 01:46PM

Healing vibes are on their way to you !!!!!

Big hugs too.

Let us know how you are doing.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 03:38PM

I'm glad for you that one good thing that came from your being LDS was you met your Mormon husband there who has been faithfully by your side since!

Sending hugs and well wishes your way for a speedy recovery !!!!

Date: July 10, 2019 11:25PM

Thanks to EVERYBODY for all the positivity and cyber-hugs!

Our community may hit some snags and rough spots from time to time, but we are here for one another when needed, and to me, that means a lot.

The medication they are giving me is a pharmacological "cousin" to one I am allergic to, but I am allergic to a lot of things, so I'm always on the alert for a reaction. So far, so good.

Step by step - paso a paso!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 01:36AM

Hahaha!

Tambien, maniobra por maniobra!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 03:41PM

Sounds like the pills are what you need, also, rest and good care.

Put your feet up and try to enjoy a good book or movie. I wish there were many better and more suitable movies for you during your recovery time.

I'd be re-watching Harry Potter movies, Downton Abbey episodes and other English dramas. I don't know what you like but I hope you find something you can enjoy.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 04:06PM

shoulder surgery. I am also glad they got you through the ER quickly. I hope you feel better soon from everything. Take care of yourself. I'm so glad you have your husband!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 07:32PM

Virtual hugs, friendship, and thoughts for healing, Catnip!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: July 10, 2019 07:52PM

(((Hugs)))

You are having what my Mom would have called a “refund year”. As in you should get a refund for what it is taking from you.

Take Cheryl’s excellent advice and feel better soon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 02:20AM

It's nice that they sped you through the ER, Catnip. I hope that you feel better soon.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 02:21AM

Oh girl I feel your pain. Been there, done that. Sneaky thing too, likes to come back. I am glad you got right in and got real meds. The over the counter stuff doesn't work and in my case it made it worse. Use an ice tray and make you some little cranberry popsicles. I don't how much they really help but they are yummy.

Hang in there!

Date: July 12, 2019 01:39AM

Just added "popsicle forms" and "cranberry juice" to the grocery list!!! Sounds great - thanks!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 12, 2019 02:17AM

Cranberry juice clears up most UTIs for me.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 11, 2019 05:21AM

Special French vibes coming your way, Catnip.

Hope you don't mind the garlic ;-)

Tom in Paris

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.