Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 07:03PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2019/06/21/after-refusing-archdioceses-order-fire-gay-teacher-school-is-told-it-will-no-longer-be-recognized-catholic/

A school that refused to fire a gay teacher as ordered by the Archdiocese of Indianapolis says it has been told by church officials that it will no longer be recognized as Catholic. But school leaders pledged to keep the institution’s religious identification.

The archdiocese announced in a statement that it would no longer recognize Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School, an independently operated school, because it was not insisting that all employees “be supportive of all teachings of the Catholic Church,” the Catholic News Agency reported. The church is against homosexual activity.

A statement by the Rev. Brian G. Paulson, who heads the Midwest Province of Jesuits, said the archdiocese told Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School two years ago not to renew the contract of a teacher whose “marital status does not conform to church doctrine.” He also said the decision, to be formalized in a church decree, would be appealed through a church process and would go as high as the Vatican “if necessary.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 07:34PM

While they're at it, the archdiocese should check to make sure birth control is not being practiced by anyone connected to the school.

Posted by: Starry forgot password ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 07:51PM

I am from Indianapolis, and Brebeuf is only one of a handful of Catholic schools in the city. Last year the same archdiocese insisted on the firing of a 30+ year employee because of her same sex marriage at Chetard high school. There have been others that don’t come to mind atm .. the parents and alumni were all up in arms over it but the archdiocese ignored them. This seems to be a thing with the new archbishop. The former archbishop was gay himself and the “church” was accepting of these members/employees. Not so now. It’s very sad. But the Midwest Jesuits will still be in association with Brebeuf. Catholics state wide are backing the school.

Date: June 21, 2019 10:33PM

Are your local ’jesuswits’ okay with idea that the Earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around? Any rumblings in that regard from them?

Date: June 21, 2019 11:13PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 14, 2019 10:44PM

Agreed. Jesuits are highly educated and have a strong tradition of scholarship.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 21, 2019 10:45PM

Thanks for the background information. Since the school is independently operated, the lack of recognition from the diocese is not terribly important. The school likely already has a well developed network of loyal students, parents, and alumni.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: June 23, 2019 11:32AM

I went to a Catholic high school in the early 1960's and Mr. B., a teacher of English, was generally understood to be gay. He was a sharp dresser, the coolest cat on staff - and nobody gave a god-damn what his orientation was. There is no way in Hell that the Catholic administrators didn't know that he was gay, and they clearly had no qualms about him - he taught there for years.

In my 12-year Catholic education, I never encountered abuse, never heard of any, never heard of the slightest impropriety (Mr. B. included). Elsewhere in the same city, abuse would later be discovered in Catholic institutions, but not in the ones I attended.

Date: June 24, 2019 06:20PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/06/24/catholic-school-fires-gay-teacher-so-it-can-stay-indianapolis-archdiocese/

A Catholic high school in Indiana has announced it will “separate” with a teacher who is gay, in what administrators called an “agonizing decision."

The move came after 22 months of “earnest and extensive dialogue” between Cathedral High School and the Archdiocese of Indianapolis, which has threatened to strip away Catholic identity — and funding — from several schools in the area that employ people who are not heterosexual.

Last week, Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School was cut off by the archdiocese after refusing to fire a teacher who is married to someone of the same sex.

Administrators at Cathedral were unwilling to take that risk.

Date: June 24, 2019 06:25PM

> Administrators at Cathedral were
> unwilling to take that risk.

One should reverently consult one's accountants before making a difficult decision involving ghawd and the fealty existing between you and him...

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 14, 2019 10:20PM

I wrote this above many days ago:

"In my 12-year Catholic education, I never encountered abuse, never heard of any, never heard of the slightest impropriety (Mr. B. included). Elsewhere in the same city, abuse would later be discovered in Catholic institutions, but not in the ones I attended."

I've just been informed by an old high-school mate that the Catholic teaching order associated with my high school released a report last week of sexual abuse perpetrated by members of the order against students.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 15, 2019 04:28AM

Thank you for that update. It's important.

Date: July 15, 2019 04:05PM

I've heard this before from other people -- the abuse is so secret and compartmentalised that few know about it.

BTW, the teaching is suing...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/12/cathedral-high-school-lawsuit-archdiocese-indianapolis-joshua-payne-elliott/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.