Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 10:37AM

I was remembering a mormon memory that my ward always had a ward pool party that was hosted at a member's house. It just hit me about all the subtle rules and nuances that members were expected to observe! No wonder recent converts had a hard time understanding members and their inability to be accepted. So for non-members, here's a run down of the expectations.

1. Adult members are not encouraged to swim in a public setting.
2. Only the high priests can sit a table adjacent to pool. This is to monitor the endless parading and showboating of their grandchildren.
3. If an adult is walking near the pool and pushes a child-young adult into the pool, it is done in good fun. Any retaliation by the youth ie splashing, yelling or trying to push the offending adult into the pool will be swiftly dealt with. The YM-YW pres or counselor will drag the kid out of the pool to be encouraged to apologize.
4. If you're part of the elder's quorum, you had better be prepared to carry, move heavy items and spend hours grilling the bbq. You're supposed to bring an extra set of clothing to change into after you soil your first set of clothing.
5. The most pious uber-righteous high priest will be called upon to offer a 12 minute prayer sermon. He will not forget to bless the hands and machinery that prepared the canned cling peaches in heavy syrup.
6. Attire is semi-casual. High priests would show up in their button down cotton shirts (tucked in) and beige trousers. Occasionally, one of their own would show up with suit coat and necktie. That social "more" breaker would be chided for not knowing how to relax and being too uptight. Sisters would show up in long summer dresses and or capris. Any sisters displaying too much leg or other unsightly blemishes would "overhear" the latest treatment of cellulitis and psoriasis. Others might hear about why tights and hosiery are so wonderful during summer. Ouch!
7. Church leaders are served first! Food plates are delivered by the young women. Everyone else gets into a giant line.
8. Do not EVER wear a bathing suit to the pool party. You bring a suit and change your clothing when finishing your swimming activity. A priesthood leader might ask to have a word with you along the fence about proper Mormon modesty.
9. The ward swim party ends on a spiritual note. PH leaders call out various members to share their testimonies and favorite scriptures. A benediction ends the social. All swimming is done for the day.

And there you have it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 11:51AM

“Do not EVER wear a bathing suit to the pool party!” Lol.
How I miss all the fun I had with the mormons. It was endless laughter, joy and happiness. Men are that they might have joy.
It’s so great wearing a bikini. Now that you’ve reminded me a photo of that is going up on my social media. It’s so nice to provoke people just by living your life.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 19, 2019 07:26PM

>>Any sisters displaying too much leg or other unsightly blemishes would "overhear" the latest treatment of cellulitis <<

Do they REALLY talk about cellulitis?

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 01:43AM

Number 3. Oh, so it was acceptable for an adult to bully a small vulnerable child.

Date: July 20, 2019 01:46AM

I don't think Messygoop thought the bullying was acceptable, but rather was recounting the situation as it was and maybe still is.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 07:52AM

As a former lifeguard, I never would have allowed anyone to be pushed into a pool. I don't know of any lifeguard or pool that would allow that. There is too much potential for injury.

Date: July 20, 2019 10:32AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a former lifeguard, I never would have allowed
> anyone to be pushed into a pool. I don't know of
> any lifeguard or pool that would allow that. There
> is too much potential for injury.

The ward parties I attended didn't usually have lifeguards unless the parties were held at commercial sites which required the hiring of a lifeguard in order to secure the venue. More often the ward parties took place in someone's backyard pool where the leadership wrongly thought no lifeguard was needed because "everyone" would be watching. In reality, obviously, when "everyone" is watching, too often no one is actually paying attention. Ward swimming parties are inherently unsafe.

I'm qualified as a lifeguard, but if I'm hosting an event, I don't feel that I can devote adequate attention to the task of guarding the pool. I wouldn't hold a party at my pool for any group beyond immediate family (as in my own wife and children) and one additional family without hiring a lifeguard, and I would NEVER let an LDS group use my pool; my brother knows better than to ask.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 12:47PM

To me, the busiest pools were always the most dangerous situations. I remember being on duty one day as a new lifeguard, and my boss pointing out to me a small child who was rapidly getting into trouble while her mom was chatting away to another adult, unaware.

Date: July 20, 2019 03:19PM

Crazy. The child was #$%& lucky you and your supervisor noticed. Jillian and I only have phones by the pool so that we have a way of calling 911 if it's necessary. We don't take calls by the pool.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 01:11PM

Acceptable by the pool party goers, not Messygoop.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 20, 2019 05:13AM

Yes, all of these observations came from attending the ward swimming parties. I was a big kid so I was never tossed into the pool, but the smaller kids were bullied and intimidated. They were unexpectedly tossed/pushed in. One year, two priesthood abusers grabbed a kid by the arms and legs and they lobbed him into the pool. Of course, the bozos didn't realize that the boy was taking swimming lessons so he could earn his swimming merit badge. The boy panicked and started to gasp for air. A couple of boys acted sensibly to move him into shallow water. One kid got a bloody nose from getting kicked in the face. Good stuff, eh?

Even though the bishop thought I was a putz, I was a very good swimmer. I was excellent at making a giant splash on the diving board. Would you believe that I could make those stuffy high priests move from their pool side tables?

Oh and I had no idea why the women of the ward were talking about celery. I finally remembered to ask my Mom what the big deal was over celery (what I was hearing as a 12 year old) and then my Mom cued me that it was a skin condition that people don't find flattering.

I know that it's hard to believe, but belittling and making fun of people used to be a grown up Mormon thing to do. The youth were natural targets of this good natured jestering. If you broke your leg then you were called hopper. One sister made special badges for the newest members of her tin grin club (braces). A lot of the young men were back slapped and shoulder punched.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2019 05:13AM by messygoop.

Date: July 20, 2019 10:43AM

I get it. I think you meant "cellulite," as opposed to "cellulitis." CELLULITE it the condition in which fat pushes against connective tissue, causing it to appear puckered or lumpy, appearing frequently on thighs or buttocks. CELLULITIS is a potentially very serious bacterial infection. Even though the names are very similar, the conditions are very different.

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Oh and I had no idea why the women of the ward
> were talking about celery. I finally remembered to
> ask my Mom what the big deal was over celery (what
> I was hearing as a 12 year old) and then my Mom
> cued me that it was a skin condition that people
> don't find flattering.
>

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 22, 2019 05:05PM

ChurchCo members Have Lots of freedoms at home:

-other that their church obligations
-other than certain sexual modes / positions, even with spouse
-can't have scripture study with other members

Lots of Freedoms!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.