Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 23, 2019 10:43PM

For a while, it was rumored that all the 'main' temple doors / entrances faced East;

Has this been debunked, or, is it still 'true'?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 23, 2019 10:51PM

There used to be a lot of "mystique" about the mormon temples.

There was all sorts of stuff that members would whisper amongst themselves.

Since you're from Seattle, I'm certain that you are aware of the door on the east side of the temple. It's behind the giant wall sign that says "Holiness to the Lord" and so forth. It's not a formal door, but rather an emergency exit door, but it's a door nonetheless. As a kid I was told that THAT is the REAL door to the temple because it was on the east side.

They used to say that the Moroni on top always faced east, but that one faces west because if it faced east, it would look stupid.

I love the fact that members search high and low to find meaning in these buildings and create meaning where none was meant to be had.

EDIT to add:

As an example, I had to do a google image search to be certain that the back wall had that Holiness nonsense and came across this:

"The stone panels that make up the exterior of the temple have big wheat symbols- which we see in a lot of temples. I think having to do with Christ being the bread of life, or maybe the field is white…. hmmm.. I may need to do a blog post about symbols on temple buildings."

lol

No, that is called a "Reverse Gothic Arch" and it is a very common design. During the dedication some church guy mentioned that it reminded him of the evergreen trees that surround the temple and ever since then, that's what members think it is, but the design is a reverse gothic arch. Dummies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2019 10:55PM by Levi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.