Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Liaaya ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 07:50PM

I visited O’ahu recently with my native Hawaiian girlfriend and we got free tickets to the PCC so we went to check it out. That’s right where the temple is also. We have been discussing moving to Hawaii and just the price of things in Hawaii in general. I tried to look it up but couldn’t find anything so I was wondering if anyone knew how much it cost in land and building costs to build the temple there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 08:04PM

I gather land is pricey in Hawaii (thanks to the shortage of it).

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 08:12PM

Dunno how much the original cost to build in 1915-1919 but wiki said a reno was done in 1976-1978 that cost 5.5 million. I assume that's in mid 1970's dollars. Another structural upgrade and reno was done in 2008 but no dollar amount was given.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 24, 2019 09:26PM

The land was purchased in the 1860s with the intention of becoming a mormon colony.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 28, 2019 03:35AM

$256,000 to build m

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 10:11AM

Since Mormon's don't disclose what they are doing with the money... we are stuck with guesstimates...

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 10:17AM

Hawaii is very expensive to live because everything needs to be shipped in. Hawaii used to be self-sufficient food wise but it's not longer that way. They have developed over the agricultural land and the population has grown beyond what the islands can sustain.

It's a great place to visit on vacation but you go island happy after six years. I dated a girl from Hawaii and all she wanted to do was go on big road trips. She loved being on the mainland and was fascinated that we could drive thousands of miles. She dumped me for a Tongan named Elvis. You can't make this stuff up.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 11:49AM

some Hawaiians are snobbish about living there, there's a Hawaiian word for mainlanders. which I've forgotten.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2019 12:08PM

Posted by: Dano ( )
Date: July 26, 2019 01:01AM

Back to the original question. The whole area around the temple was bought long ago, before Hawaii became the tourist destination it is now. The dirt under the temple is just a tiny fraction of what's owned by Hawaii Reserve, Inc.a subsidiary of the corporation of the Presiding Bishop of the Church of....... as so on. The temple was built so long ago that that cost is a pittance compared to present day value. And every 15-20 years they'll do a major remodel/refresh.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: July 26, 2019 01:15AM

Can you imagine what a nice place it was when the first Mormon missionaries arrived. I still love Hawaii, but it's been loved to death by so many vacationers.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: July 28, 2019 01:55AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.