Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 27, 2019 03:03PM

Wow.

I am gobsmacked.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/27/health/doug-lindsay-invented-surgery-trnd/index.html

[There is an unimportant to you, but very resonate with me, part of this story: Around the time my husband graduated from [Catholic] high school, one afternoon several young men appeared at his home and informed him that he was not "allowed" to do what he wanted to do following his high school graduation, but instead, he *had* to go to Rockhurst--it was a REQUIREMENT for Catholic boys. My husband (not ever a "physical" kind of guy), by all accounts (including that of his mother, who witnessed this happening) eventually physically "threw [the recruiters]" off his family porch, onto the family lawn, shouting that he did NOT "have to go to Rockhurst," and that he was free to do whatever he wanted to do with the rest of his life. Although I was a small child as this was happening, and I lived 1,500 miles away, and I had never heard of Rockhurst until I first heard this story, I have never forgotten the name of Rockhurst College/University, and my husband's encounter with their recruiters. When I unexpectedly encountered this name in this story, I learned a bit more about this now somewhat "notorious" institution (my husband's personal story of attempted "conscription" into Rockhurst College has been told many times--in person, and in print)....which I am glad about, because it heightened my interest in THIS, very different, astounding personal story. Those Rockhurst recruiters are now, undoubtedly, long dead....but their legacy of attempted compulsion lives on, only this time, in THIS personal story, it all comes out right--and incredibly wonderfully for not only the man profiled in the story, but for the many people all over the planet whose lives have benefitted, and will benefit, so enormously from this man's contributions to medicine.]

Amazing story.

Astoundingly amazing man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 27, 2019 04:45PM

It's amazing, I agree.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2019 04:57PM

It is an amazing story. But in the movie, there has to be a dog who stood by him the whole time. And at the end, he's out playing catch with that dog.

Hey, who knows, maybe there really was?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2019 05:29PM

It should be an old dog, a veritable elderly dog, ideally with graying brown hair.

Date: July 27, 2019 05:49PM

Wow! I've always said that you are a visionary!

And the part of the old dog would be played by Cheech Marin!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2019 05:59PM

I was wondering what a dog with a Spanish accent would sound like.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 27, 2019 06:32PM

Wõõf, wõõf.

Date: July 27, 2019 06:43PM

I laughed out loud!!

Plus thank you for definitely my new screen name for when I come back after finally getting banned.

wõõf wõõf

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 27, 2019 07:05PM

It is inspiring!

One reason this is especially inspiring to me is that it demonstrates the beauty of science. You don't need to have a title or be famous if what you come up with actually works. He was very brave and dedicated studying the issue. The doctors who worked with him listened.

Date: July 27, 2019 07:16PM

So you're saying that it was his dogged faith in science that made this miracle happen?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 27, 2019 08:22PM

I don't think it had anything to do with faith in anything. :-)
He hit the books with determination and elbow grease to understand the physiology and pathology of the gland. He came up with a hypothesis that was successful. It's pretty brave to be the experiment.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.