Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 05:55PM

Haven't seen this item brought up; published in the March 25 L.A. Times, p. 2.

[excerpted to fit within RFM guidelines]

"Creationists feel at home
Conservative Idaho is a good fit for a biblical museum, founders say

"…This is Idaho, [museum co-founder Stan] Lutz noted from his usual post at the Northwest Science Museum, America's newest tribute to creationism that's only a few miles west of the [Idaho State] Capitol dome [in Boise]. …'I like the culture of Idaho. Politically, I think it's more conservative, for the most part.'

"…Idaho is conservative enough to embrace the museum… dedicated to the idea that Earth is a mere 6,000 years old. That dinosaurs and men cavorted together. That all those fossils dug up by archaeologists came into being because of the flood. Yes. *That* flood.

"The Northwest Science Museum's board of directors has big plans here in one of America's most conservative states… its members plan to erect a 350,000-square-foot facility with a full-sized ark that will rise above Interstate 84 somewhere between Boise and Nampa.

"…Fossil-filled cases line the museum walls, displaying slices of petrified wood and nautilus shells, dinosaur eggs and the imprints of ancient leaves. Everything, [Exec Director Douglas] Bennett says, is about 4,500 years old, 'because they were buried during the flood and fossilized at that time.'

"…The point, he [Bennett] explained, is that 'people say, "Oh, on Noah's ark, there wasn't enough room to have all the dinosaurs and other animals." Well, if you take a young one that's small on the ark, you've got plenty of room… You wouldn't want to take an old, fully grown adult, because, after the flood, their purpose was to reproduce and populate the earth again.'"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 06:17PM

Yikes.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 06:25PM

Book of Mordor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> "…The point, he explained, is that 'people say,
> "Oh, on Noah's ark, there wasn't enough room to
> have all the dinosaurs and other animals." Well,
> if you take a young one that's small on the ark,
> you've got plenty of room… You wouldn't want to
> take an old, fully grown adult, because, after the
> flood, their purpose was to reproduce and populate
> the earth again.'"

And that's why we still have dinosaurs roaming on the earth today.

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 07:59PM

OT: I can't get the damn plesiosaurs out of my rutabagas. Have any of you found a decent deterrent?

Posted by: NeverOne ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 08:34PM

Since your garden is underwater, I am assuming you meant _detergent_... in that case I recommend DAWN as it is environmentally friendly and plesiosaurs HATE it.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 08:52PM

...a marine animal. They can't get into your garden. What you *should* be worrying about is a pterodactyl flying off with your toddler.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:33AM

Well, they could . . .

In an Octopus' garden.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 01:23PM

...in the shade.

Date: April 20, 2015 10:07PM

...y'all are a bunch of dinosaurs too. :-)

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 12:28PM

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 12:50PM

It is a secret formula that Father Adam developed and has been passed down to me. I sell it for only $500 a gallon, but I can guarantee it works. I haven't seen a dino in the yard ever since I started using the stuff. I am sure you won't either (unless you drink the stuff - then all bets are off.)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 08:03PM

we have lots of dinosaurs here with us today.
We just don't call them dinosaurs.
We call them birds.

Date: April 19, 2015 08:52PM

"we have lots of dinosaurs here with us today.
We just don't call them dinosaurs.
We call them birds."

Also, Larry King.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 05:01AM

randyj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "we have lots of dinosaurs here with us today.
> We just don't call them dinosaurs.
> We call them birds."
>
> Also, Larry King.

:o)

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:36AM

also Cher.

she's like 1000 years old but she looks 40 if she's a day!

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 12:51PM

Also, idiots that believe baby dinosaurs boarded an ark 4,000 years ago. These guys must believe the native tribes of Idaho are real good at treading water, 'cause they lived right through the flood.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 06:27PM

so the word "conservative" means insane ?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 07:30PM

Bat-shit CRAZY!

Posted by: blankstare ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 10:33PM

We are talking dinosaurs so it would be pterodactyl shit crazy.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 08:15PM

Maybe they'll finally accept my Joseph Smith Museum proposal.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 08:38PM

Wow, that is NOT a museum. No science, thinking or beauty to gaze upon. Embarrassing.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: April 19, 2015 09:49PM

Mainstream Christianity has officially caught up with Mormonism in degrees of stupid.

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 08:48AM

From my perspective, there are always new idiots trying for an even higher level of crazy. The most successful ones get on Fox and the rest start blogs.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:29AM

Calling that place a "science museum" ought to be a chargeable crime.

I love the reasoning: These things are all 4,500 years old because I say so, and anything else contradicts my book of myths.
Sheesh.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 11:56AM

Well, isn't it obvious that dinosaurs had something in their system which confused carbon 14? It is oh so simple. Their metabolism was responsible. Interestingly, there is a huge dinosaur statue in Utah which had to be made less than six thousand years ago. The time will come which I will post a picture of it. If the earth is only six thousand years old, JS was a true prophet and correctly shows us that Missouri is where Adam lived.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 12:16PM

Raptors trampled my flower bed again!

Who is coming over for brunch? Dinosaur egg omelet!
Afterwards were watching The Flintstones reality show...

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 10:13PM

Did anybody else find the final credits sequence maddening? I mean, Fred throws out the sabre tooth cat. The cat hops back in through the window and throws Fred out. Fred pounds at the door eternally yelling, "Wilma!" I kept thinking, use the window you idiot. Use the window. But there was no way.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 01:51AM

Evolution was in extra slow-Mo with Fred...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 23, 2023 03:48AM

We'll have a gay old time.

Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: April 20, 2015 10:17PM

Only in America could you get away with a creationist museum that people would take seriously. Might be a few in Oz or Europe but it would never be viable.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 10:27AM

Look, St. Paul wrote that the story of Abraham and Sarah was an allegory. Why do people take the story of creation literally??? If you really believe in the Bible as your guide, why shouldn't we have slavery, etc.? Rather, we have evolved/progressed. Ask anyone who doesn't believe in evolution why almost all people today have no room for wisdom teeth?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2018 10:28AM by rhgc.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 01:30PM

Well, they might want to investigate the financial success (or lack thereof) of a similar ark-based attraction in Kentucky before spending a dime in Idaho.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 02:00PM

Back in 2015, about a year after the "museum" opened, they said they had plans to expand it to a 350k square-foot space, complete with a copy of Noah's ark just like in Kentucky.

Here we are three years later...no such expansion has taken place, and no such ark is under way.

How about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Science_Museum

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 03:56PM

We looked out the window
And what did we see?
Stupidity, hilarity
And Batshit Cray-a-Zee.

We stand all amazzed
Counting what man has done,
For money once again
Fuck, ain't it fun?

Oh, say what is truth
'Tis the fairest gem -
A bunch won't choose it
Worshipping tapirs instead.

Giggles plus migraines
This often brings,
As loved ones belt out
Give Said the Little Stream.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2018 04:11PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: levantis ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 04:09PM

This could be a great date idea! Think of the laughs you could have!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 12:01AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 02:54AM

Someone said Tapir, so I'm gonna check into it;

I AM A PRIVATE EYE, YA KNOW!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 02:55AM by GNPE.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 05:46AM

Stan Lutz, "Northwest Science Museum"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VF3tQl7IEo

In the Middle Ages people thought tiny angels supported objects as they were thrown through the air.

Basing your entire existence on the validity of an ancient text (and a particular version of that text from the seventeenth century at that) is probably not going to work...

Sadly, this isn't a new thing
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Descent_of_the_Modernists,_E._J._Pace,_Christian_Cartoons,_1922.jpg

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 06:05AM by anybody.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: June 22, 2023 05:01PM

Fossils were put there by God as his way of saying....Hi!

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: June 21, 2023 02:32PM

This old topic came to mind (not a prompting by the Holy Ghost, thank you) and I thought I'd check up and see if these clowns had ever been able to build their ark.

It turns out (no surprise) that they failed to achieve any of their goals. Even better, they have apparently shut down for good. Permanently closed. Their addresses are hosting other businesses, their phone number no longer goes through, and their website seems to have been taken over by something that is certainly not fundie christian.

Another creationist dream crushed under the weight of reality. I guess even Conservative Idaho has its limits on dumbass ideas. Who knew?

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: June 22, 2023 12:33AM

Big Valley, Alberta is home to the Creation Science Museum. Ive not visited it, although I did walk past in once while visiting Big Valley. It wasn't open...

Ironically the guy that created the museum, who works as a heavy equipment operator, dug up 60 million year old fossils of 5 fish while excavating a basement in Calgary. Although he himself is a creationist, he did the right thing and contacted a palaeontologist who calculated the age of the fossils.

While feeling quite amicable towards the palaeontologist, he said that they'd have to "agree to disagree" as they clearly dated from the time of the great flood, so therefore were only 4 thousand years old.

And today, the fossils have a new home in the Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller, 60 kilometres away from Big Valley. You could probably visit both museums in one day, ha ha!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 22, 2023 09:23AM

In college I went on a trip to Washington DC. The first morning in town the bus dropped us on the mall for the day. The group that I ambled off with was wondering where to go first, and a girl with whom I was smitten wanted to go to the Museum of Natural History, so naturally I agreed and encouraged everyone else too.

Well, as soon as we got into the museum she started ranting and raving about how it was all lies, nothing was that old, how could anyone believe it, etc. And not just for our benefit, or with an “inside voice.” She made quite a scene.

I could not extricate myself fast enough.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 22, 2023 09:39AM

Ugh! My top recommendation for visitors is always the Air & Space Museum, because there is really nothing else like it. And if you can't get enough of that, there is the larger extension of the museum out near Dulles Airport, where they keep the Enola Gay and many other historic planes.

There are a number of other wonderful museums on the Mall as well, including the National Archives and the National Gallery of Art. The Natural History museum is not terribly high on my list, as IMO you can see similar exhibits elsewhere.

It sounds like that girl went to the Natural History museum looking to make a scene. :/

Date: June 22, 2023 11:41AM

The creationist explanations that people tell as facts remind me of Bart Simpsons excuses for his misdeeds.

After the core believers have visited Once, the place will probably close unless it's getting tax $ as a subsidy or grant.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 22, 2023 04:36PM

Sigh. The similar Ark museum in Kentucky is doing quite well. They too have dinosaurs on the ark. I know it is crazy, but I when I am on the college campuses in East TN there are always a few students wearing Ark shirts or jackets. Evangelicals I am acquainted with love going there. They even got tax money/loans to build the damn thing as a tourist attraction. Christian schools send bus loads to that place. I was disappointed in a friend who went there. Hard to believe an educated person would believe such anti-science crap. The Ark Encounter is effective in shutting down logic and reasoning.

Date: June 22, 2023 04:51PM

Bible Belt

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: June 22, 2023 04:53PM

Geologists find oil, minerals etc., by application of the principles of geology. The creationist nut jobs buy and use the gas etc., found using an understanding of geology but then won't admit the hypocrisy and prefer to pretend rather than accept facts. Literally NUTS!

I'd really like to see the creationists find oil or minerals etc., without using standard geologic practices. Their only tools are guns, the bible and Jesus. Good luck with that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.