Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: July 29, 2019 01:43PM

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865657820/The-Clean-Cut-Nashville-Tribute-Band-teams-up-with-Marie-Osmond-David-Archuleta-Alex-Boye-to.html

"The Nashville Tribute Band released its "Redeemer" album in 2014. The album told the story of the life and mission of Jesus Christ, a task the band did not take lightly as they hoped it would provide opportunities to share a common faith in the Savior with like minded believers.

“We had to give everything we had on this because of the subject matter,” Jason Deere, one of the band's founders told Deseret News at the time of the album's release. “I knew this would be an opportunity for people who are not members of our church to see our level of commitment and passion toward our understanding of the Atonement and this person who changed everything for us. We put 100 percent in it.”

The Nashville Tribute Band has adopted Christian lingo and symbolism (in all my years of involvement with Mormonism I never once saw anyone us the ancient "icthys" or fish symbol as a sign of their faith yet this band has easily employs it) While the quote states the NTB's "Mormon-ness", Osmond's promotion of her concert with the band on her social media sites appears to intentionally leave that bit out. Nowhere does she mention that the event is organized and sponsored by Mormons but bills it only as an "interfaith concert".
I've seen many changes in the Mormon church over the years including their efforts to appear "mainstream". This effort (which, unless Marie Osmond is intending to defect is quite calculated) is the most egregious and sends rather a chill down my spine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 29, 2019 01:50PM

It could be as simple as someone's business manager suggesting that by omitting the double connection (the band and Marie) to mormonism, and emphasizing 'christian outreach', they might sell more tickets...

Which explicitly (in my mind) says "Hey, we'll gladly sell a losing brand down the river if it means more money for us!"

It could also be the explanation for the appropriation of the legless fish symbol, telling the world, "We have not evolved!"

Money pays the bills, not faith.

Date: July 29, 2019 02:09PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "It could be as simple as someone's business
> manager suggesting that by omitting the double
> connection (the band and Marie) to mormonism, and
> emphasizing 'christian outreach', they might sell
> more tickets..."

Could be. Why do I suspect that's not the sole or even primary reason? It's all too convenient.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 29, 2019 07:09PM

They played a concert in my local stake building. There was really no indication of it being an LDS event in the publicity other than where it was being held.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 29, 2019 07:34PM

Like in the old days, They didn't tell you the "free personality exam" was connected with a psycho-religious group. "None-denominational" or "neighborhood/community" Bible studies were often used to lure in the unsuspecting into a cultic group.

Posted by: Jordan ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 05:16AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Like in the old days, They didn't tell you the
> "free personality exam" was connected with a
> psycho-religious group. "None-denominational" or
> "neighborhood/community" Bible studies were often
> used to lure in the unsuspecting into a cultic
> group.

Very true, although I have been to nondenom groups which were not cultish.

Date: July 29, 2019 09:43PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 02:13AM

As opposed to her previous record label. Kolob productions.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 30, 2019 04:39AM

Funny, Heartless!

Shapeshifting, like missionaries giving "free" English lessons in foreign countries. Like the Christmas creche displays in California ward houses at Christmastime. Like the "Neighborhood summer party" in our Mormon neighbor's front driveway (you know it's a Mormon party, when you aren't allowed into their house). Like the Red Cross blood drive. "Free" EMT and CPR training.

No mention of religion at all, but the Mormons will get names and addresses.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: July 31, 2019 08:40PM

Mormon "mainstreaming" scares me. They really are trying to fool people into thinking they are just normal Christians. It's not nice to deceive! I remember the Church being much more enamored of Joseph Smith than of Jesus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.